Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Pretty good rumbling in west Edmond just now
    I guess you just answered my question about why weather somehow got tangled up with earthquake coverage.

2. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

4.2 mag earthquake just over the border in Kansas a short time ago.

3.8 same spot about 11:00

4. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    3.8 same spot about 11:00
    Looks like it is the same one. They pulled it down to a 3.8.

Hmmm...

Supervolcano Bigger Than Previously Thought - The Takeaway

When I lived in Washington, the earthquake activity dramatically increased prior to Mt. St Helens erupting. I'm sure OK is too far away, but if this is really that big, who knows?

6. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Tremors from movements in a magma chamber are normal and the best way to predict an eruption. The St. Helens eruption a few years ago was preceded by a few weeks of increased seismic activity with in the mountain.

While it is impossible to know everything underground, its probably unlikely magma movement has anything to do with us here. The closest active magma field is out in New Mexico. I believe it is a different hot spot than the one that caused the Valles Caldera. Granted volcanoes have occurred further east as well...especially an ancient one in present day Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    Hmmm...

Supervolcano Bigger Than Previously Thought - The Takeaway

When I lived in Washington, the earthquake activity dramatically increased prior to Mt. St Helens erupting. I'm sure OK is too far away, but if this is really that big, who knows?
    It was stated that the caldera is to be roughly 35 miles across so we're now assuming 70-88 miles wide? That's freaking insane! I don't think any point in North America would be safe from this thing blowing. Luckily a geological second is like 1,000 years so I (we) may miss it.

As for the earthquakes, I think Alaska--being along the Ring of Fire--would be a better measuring stick due to its proximity than Oklahoma. Our quakes seem to be isolated. Isolated from Wyoming as much as they are isolated from what I think would be a measuring stick for New Madrid activity precursors.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    It was stated that the caldera is to be roughly 35 miles across so we're now assuming 70-88 miles wide? That's freaking insane! I don't think any point in North America would be safe from this thing blowing. Luckily a geological second is like 1,000 years so I (we) may miss it.

As for the earthquakes, I think Alaska--being along the Ring of Fire--would be a better measuring stick due to its proximity than Oklahoma. Our quakes seem to be isolated. Isolated from Wyoming as much as they are isolated from what I think would be a measuring stick for New Madrid activity precursors.
    Maybe we're at the intersection of the New Madrid and Yellowstone areas of impact...

Probably not, but those two areas are pretty interesting.

9. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

3.2 out SSE of Prague today. I think it will be interesting to see if we have another 4.0+ quake out of that area here in the next few weeks or so. Hard to even begin to predict where one may happen, but seems to be a trend. The increased activity east of Edmond eventually resulted in one. The increased activity up by Enid did as well. Might be time again the "southern" area of this swarm to give us another one in the same area we had "the big one" a few years back. Just random thinking - nothing scientific at all.

No rumbling in or near central OK today? Thought surely I felt a very minor rumbling just before 10AM today....Prague is too far away, I think, for that to have been what I felt if I'm the only one that felt it....

i Remenber as a Kid being told my the "old Timers " around the east reno & douglas Blvd area in the 50's that OKC (downtown somewhere) Sat on a volcano Or was in a Volcano ?

12. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Updated the article just to get the seismograms added in. Will do a complete redesign though for 2014 when we get that article started.

So earthquakes are considered close enough related to the weather to be in the weather.

14. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Discussed this with Pete and I felt since it attracts the same group of readers it made sense to place it here. Also the Wiki format will serve it well here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So earthquakes are considered close enough related to the weather to be in the weather.
    Maybe we should rename the Weather section to Natural Disasters or Calamities?

16. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by silvergrove View Post
    Maybe we should rename the Weather section to Natural Disasters or Calamities?
    LOL...I was thinking like Weather / Environment or Weather / Nature - but then I'm afraid it'll get flooded with people talking about their flowers or hiking in the mountains.

Quake just now

18. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

3.7...didn't feel it down here in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I think it's official now.

I didn't feel it in NW OKC.

21. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Queue the X-Files music...

12/24 9:04 PM 12/24 9:14 PM 12/24 9:24 PM

22. Default Re: 2013 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Most likely cause for the quick radar burst would be birds flying away.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Most likely cause for the quick radar burst would be birds flying away.
    That's AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    That's AWESOME!
    Isn't it? This was also seen in the November 2011 earthquake as well.

Oklahoma Quake Stirs Bird, Bug or Bat Swarm Seen on Radars | Earthquake News, Oklahoma Birds | LiveScience

I get text messages from USGS on earthquakes over 3.0 in Oklahoma and major ones elsewhere in the world. Got a text on Christmas morning regarding a 22 magnitude quake in Poison, Montana. After mulling over hurriedly getting the family up to open presents while the house was still livable, I turned on the news and they were still discussing a 3.7 in Edmond. Puzzled, I flipped channels finding no evidence of a 22 mag quake ANYWHERE. In a few minutes, I received a corrected announcement of a 2.2 magnitude earthquake in Poison, Montana.

Nevermind. Go back to your regularly scheduled life. Glad they corrected it!

Thread Information