Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    I believe this is still last years. 2021-2028 8 year plan is being presented for approval on 12/7 at the ODOT Commission Meeting.
    i think you are correct ... sorry for the post ..

they got me with the "last modified date" on the bottom of this page https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a...work-plan.html

I thought they had discussed the 8yr plan in November? Was it continued?

They said it would be discussed in the 12/7 meeting. They're going to have an in person commission meeting for December vs a virtual meeting.

The new 21-28 plan is live on their website:

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a...work-plan.html

that's unfortunate... doesn't look like the much needed overpass updates over i-44 at sw 119th and 134th are in the cards.

I haven’t looked at the plan yet but given what I’ve seen around the country with other DOTs facing huge cuts, I’m lowering my hopes big time and crossing my fingers OkDOT will get a boost next year and the 22-29 plan will be good.

Yeah lots of projects delayed. One big one is the US-81 realignment in Chickasha which is nearly 200 million dollar project to build a new freeway west of the town which is sorely needed. It was supposed to begin 2021 and is now pushed back to 2023.

It also looks like a phase of the I-240/I-35 interchange that was expedited is now pushed back.

I was hoping to see signs of a widened I-35 between I-44 and I-40 on this years plans but so far it appears only utility work and ROW acquisition is planned with no real construction work on the 8yr plan.

As I said I’m not too surprised though. Hopefully next years plan will be better. I’m sure ODOT isn’t happy about it either.

RIP reconstruction of I-44 between SH-74 and I-235

Was really hoping for some traction on that to help out the general quality of life in the surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post

Was really hoping for some traction on that to help out the general quality of life in the surrounding area.
    I live just north of I-44 and Penn and that freeway is really trashy (literally) with rusty and broken fencing and weeds everywhere, especially the overpasses and areas immediately adjacent. It's a disgrace.

Also, there is no noise barrier at all (unlike just about every other freeway in town) and it throws a lot of sound into the bordering neighborhoods.

That section was built before anyone cared about anything other than racing cars through as quickly as possible. And now, they seem content to just let it slowly degrade past it's already very low standard.

I will take photos of the areas immediately adjacent; most would be completely shocked and it's an embarrassment to OKC.

Actual construction was never on the 8yr plan just utilities and engineering. This project was likely never going to be started in this decade from my guess. It will easily be close to or north of a billion dollars likely eclipsing the crosstown.

The scope is to widen to 8 lanes and likely rebuild it below or at grade.

I also want to add to this any fingers pointed should be at the state. ODOT has been doing much better with their recent work and plans. Oklahoma is a cheap state and given the extremely low taxes here the state is limited what they can build and provide for its citizens. ODOT can only do so much with such a small budget. Frankly, I’m surprised at what they’re able to do and have done as of late.

I hope they’ll start on this project sometime this decade and maybe we’ll get a surprise seeing it added on the 8yr plan before 2025. If it gets dire or Biden proposed a large infrastructure package perhaps ODOT will apply for federal funding and it’ll be done sooner than later.

It would be nice to see it below grade with park caps in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

The scope is to widen to 8 lanes and likely rebuild it below or at grade.
    where do you see this ??

I do travel this every day for my commute, would be interested to see what happens should it be allowed to slip any further

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    where do you see this ??
    I’ll have to dig it up but there were a couple news articles a few years back and a study was funded to seek out recommended improvements. Reasons were given as to why the portion near Belle Isle was elevated and why it is no longer needed namely flooding mitigation.

I also believe the 8 lane expansion was mentioned by ODOT as well and is also included in ACOGs 2040 plan which usually provides insight on future projects that haven’t been given many details by the agencies taking them on. Later today when I have time I’ll see if I can dig up a few links.

I think most of the freeway will likely stay at grade but the elevated section is supposedly going to be considered for at or below grade. From what I remember rebuilding as an elevated section was unflavored by ODOT.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    where do you see this ??
    Sorry I forgot to search this up I’ll do it today.

It looks like ODOT is finally going to embrace zipper merging. Will the days of some tool in an oversized pickup taking up two lanes to prevent someone from merging ahead of him on *his* lane finally come to an end? Lol probably not but at least ODOT will begin to make zipper merging more of formality:

Drivers on I-35 in southern Oklahoma should get ready to “zip” when merging to help improve safety and efficiency in a busy work zone in Garvin County. Beginning this week, speed sensors in the work zone where I-35 narrows to one lane at SH-19 (mm 72) in Pauls Valley will monitor the flow of traffic and adjust the merging method. When congestion begins to build, digital message signs will instruct drivers to continue using both lanes up to the merge point and then take turns merging – alternating between the left and right lanes – into a single lane. This will most likely occur during peak travel times like weekends and holidays.

It’s important to note that this Zipper Merge won’t be in effect at all times and that the new merging method won’t be used in every highway work zone statewide. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation will closely monitor how this first Zipper Merge on I-35 is working and may decide to implement more in the future.

While the Zipper Merge won’t eliminate all traffic tie-ups due to highway construction, the department expects the change to significantly improve the travel conditions on I-35 where implemented.
    - https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ne...alley-thi.html

I don’t like everything ODOT said like “zipper merging works best in less congested areas” which, IMO, is exactly the opposite. Zipper merging is extremely simple: stay in your lane, let one car in front of you at the merge point, and, that’s it. This should be done statewide.

I don’t like everything ODOT said like “zipper merging works best in less congested areas” which, IMO, is exactly the opposite. Zipper merging is extremely simple: stay in your lane, let one car in front of you at the merge point, and, that’s it. This should be done statewide.
    If you reread the third to last paragraph I think they were referencing the older early merge method (with its "merge now" reminder signs) as the method that works best in less congested areas. The heavy traffic load on this section of I-35 is why they've selected it as the location of the state's first zipper merge.

Does Lake Hefner Parkway fall under ODOT maintenance? It’s a pretty well taken care of road that has lasted over time but recently it seems like In the southbound lanes in all three lanes just a little north of the Grand Blvd overpass it has started deteriorating and making a pot hole/ rough patch of the road.

Has anyone else noticed this? I feel like it’s getting worse in all three lanes in the one little spot otherwise it’s a perfect smooth road

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Does Lake Hefner Parkway fall under ODOT maintenance? It’s a pretty well taken care of road that has lasted over time but recently it seems like In the southbound lanes in all three lanes just a little north of the Grand Blvd overpass it has started deteriorating and making a pot hole/ rough patch of the road.

Has anyone else noticed this? I feel like it’s getting worse in all three lanes in the one little spot otherwise it’s a perfect smooth road
    I noticed that, but no matter, whoever built this road should have been given the construction contracts for the entire state. That road has held up incredibly well.

20. Default Re: Odot

Lake Hefner Parkway is an ODOT road—it is State Highway 74. Good rule of thumb is if it has a number and it isn't tolled, it's ODOT's responsibility.

http://mccarvillereport.com/archives/55013 interesting discussion in the Transportation Commission meeting between T.W. Shannon and Tim Gatz on the I-35 and HW9 interchange.

Here’s a link to the proposed interchange back in 2018: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/progress-a...terchange.html

Oklahoma just can’t seem to properly plan and build adequate transportation infrastructure for the most part.

Lol Stitt is apparently not happy with the proposed flyover even though it will be tribal funded.

https://nondoc.com/2021/05/02/stitt-...o-parking-lot/

Yeah because why support more efficient flow of traffic. The horror.

Blog Entries

Maybe he's grasping for any sort of leverage he can get regarding the tribes, idk

25. Default Re: Odot

Lol Stitt is apparently not happy with the proposed flyover even though it will be tribal funded.

https://nondoc.com/2021/05/02/stitt-...o-parking-lot/

Yeah because why support more efficient flow of traffic. The horror.
    Only a portion is tribal funded

Thread Information