Widgets Magazine
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

I don't know if this is under the purview of ODOT but many of the interstate signs are in terrible shape. Unless you're from here, how are you supposed to find your way around with these illegible signs?

2. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't know if this is under the purview of ODOT but many of the interstate signs are in terrible shape. Unless you're from here, how are you supposed to find your way around with these illegible signs?
    So true. I've been joking that most of the signs on I-40 between I-44 and Morgan Rd look like half-solved Wheel of Fortune puzzles. Fortunately, those appear to be in the process of being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    So true. I've been joking that most of the signs on I-40 between I-44 and Morgan Rd look like half-solved Wheel of Fortune puzzles. Fortunately, those appear to be in the process of being replaced.
    I don't know the cost difference, but I have seen more and more of the standard highway green signs in larger cities replaced with essentially LED digital billboards that stand out much better for way finding. In places like DFW, even with a GPS/Google Maps/Car play, road signs are still helpful with multiple lanes converging at various points throughout the metroplex.

I know ODOT has been gradually replacing the gantry style overhead signs with the water pipe signs.

The SB section of I-35 from Memorial Rd. to NW 22nd will receive an additional lane: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The SB section of I-35 from Memorial Rd. to NW 22nd will receive an additional lane: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html
    fantastic and a much needed project ...

Seams like this will create a lot of confusion for truckers but absolutely believe stopping truck traffic from crossing all lanes to get off at 122.

I live right near this interchange. I am very interested in this project because I drive through here almost daily.
    I got the postcard in the mail and will be attending this meeting.
    I might not have suggestions as to how this interchange can be more efficient (I'm curious to hear other's takes) but I do know what a mess it is!

North bound I-35 from 122nd is dangerous. Merging on I-35 while all those Semi's are getting over in the same lane to take I-44 to Tulsa. There are always wrecks here.

Exiting the either the Turner or the Kilpatrick Turnpikes southbound is a disaster. I see semis and trucks cross 3 lanes of traffic frequently to make the 122nd exit. Maybe a dedicated flyover with a 122nd exit on the north side of 122nd would help.

I do suggest using Sooner road more. Maybe better signage showing where it is?

Also, ALL the high way exits and entrances on Memorial are JUNK. I despise that they are all on one side of the highway.

Curious to hear other's ideas too.
    I attached a Google aerial of the whole interchange.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-35 & 122nd Interchange Map.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	18158

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I live right near this interchange. I am very interested in this project because I drive through here almost daily.
    I got the postcard in the mail and will be attending this meeting.
    I might not have suggestions as to how this interchange can be more efficient (I'm curious to hear other's takes) but I do know what a mess it is!

North bound I-35 from 122nd is dangerous. Merging on I-35 while all those Semi's are getting over in the same lane to take I-44 to Tulsa. There are always wrecks here.

Exiting the either the Turner or the Kilpatrick Turnpikes southbound is a disaster. I see semis and trucks cross 3 lanes of traffic frequently to make the 122nd exit. Maybe a dedicated flyover with a 122nd exit on the north side of 122nd would help.

I do suggest using Sooner road more. Maybe better signage showing where it is?

Also, ALL the high way exits and entrances on Memorial are JUNK. I despise that they are all on one side of the highway.

Curious to hear other's ideas too.
    I attached a Google aerial of the whole interchange.

Name:	I-35 & 122nd Interchange Map.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	18158
    Not to beat a dead horse, but WB Turner to SB I-35 is another classic example of an OTA/ODOT being cheap and implementing one of their favorite cost cutting maneuvers...the "left exit." And this one is indeed very dangerous. A flyover that merges on the right side of I-35 southbound coupled with a direct exit to NW 122 without having to cross 3 lanes of traffic should have been the design for this interchange from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but WB Turner to SB I-35 is another classic example of an OTA/ODOT being cheap and implementing one of their favorite cost cutting maneuvers...the "left exit." And this one is indeed very dangerous. A flyover that merges on the right side of I-35 southbound coupled with a direct exit to NW 122 without having to cross 3 lanes of traffic should have been the design for this interchange from the get go.
    The entirety of I-35 from the I-40 junction all the way up to SH-66 is basically a never ending series of horrendous cost-cutting measures. It doesn't quite take the title from I-44 between Lincoln and NW 36th for the biggest "ODOT special" in the Metro, but it's close.

11. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    Something like the new eastbound I-44 ramp to northbound Broadway that includes a direct exit to 63rd would solve a lot of issues here.

Here’s the proposal:

The proposed project will add a southbound through lane along I-35 beginning just south of Memorial Road extending south to Hefner Road. Dedicated auxiliary lanes will be provided for traffic entering and exiting I-35. To reduce the potential for collisions due to the complex weaving movements at NE 122nd Street, a concrete barrier will be constructed to prevent westbound Turner Turnpike traffic from exiting at NE 122nd Street. Traffic will then be allowed to merge onto I-35 prior to the exit at Hefner Road. Turner Turnpike traffic wanting to access NE 122nd Street will exit to I-35 north and take Sooner Road south to NE 122nd Street.
    - https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html

Presentation with more details goes live 8/2/2023.

Honestly, this is kind of what I expected. The concrete barrier, though not ideal will certainly be welcome to prevent people from weaving from the left side to the right side of the highway. This will also likely benefit Quiktrip. Kind of sucks for the gas stations though at 122nd who seem to get a fair amount of truck traffic from I-44 SB traffic.

Here’s the proposal:

- https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a.../20230801.html

Presentation with more details goes live 8/2/2023.

Honestly, this is kind of what I expected. The concrete barrier, though not ideal will certainly be welcome to prevent people from weaving from the left side to the right side of the highway. This will also likely benefit Quiktrip. Kind of sucks for the gas stations though at 122nd who seem to get a fair amount of truck traffic from I-44 SB traffic.
    They will just need to put some billboards up telling turner traffic to exit to 35 north and take sooner loop to 122. Pretty easy to do and nice 4 lane roads on entire path. Truckers will figure it out. They will learn the new route and know how to get to their stops

But yes it is perfect set up for quktrip. Unfortunately we still have the traffic on the left side that will need to merge over.

Driving I-35 in the Edmond area the other day I noticed how terrible it is. Wasn't this section redone just a few years ago? Why is it so bad already?

In doing more deep dive research on this, I don't know how I missed this article.

Starting in 2024, Edmond & ODOT are redoing their entire I-35 access points from 33rd to 2nd Street.
    They are changing the access roads to one way and widening all bridges including installing Texas turn arounds.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/70203277007/

Name:	Edmond I-35.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	18169

In doing more deep dive research on this, I don't know how I missed this article.

Starting in 2024, Edmond & ODOT are redoing their entire I-35 access points from 33rd to 2nd Street.
    They are changing the access roads to one way and widening all bridges including installing Texas turn arounds.

This will be a HUGE improvement between 2nd Street and 15th Street.

Name:	Edmond I-35.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	18169
    I’ve posted about this many times. Not sure how you missed it. Lol. But yes, it starts next year and will be a huge improvement.

ODOT needs to redo SB I-235 where it meets 40 and 35. At one point it's only two lanes, and it backs up EVERY SINGLE DAY from 3-6 PM almost to 23rd St. Need an extra lane or turn the EB I-40 exit into a right lane exit instead of a left.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    ODOT needs to redo SB I-235 where it meets 40 and 35. At one point it's only two lanes, and it backs up EVERY SINGLE DAY from 3-6 PM almost to 23rd St. Need an extra lane or turn the EB I-40 exit into a right lane exit instead of a left.
    I have never understood why that section between the 6th Street exit and the 5th Street entrance goes down to two lanes, especially when there's enough room on the shoulders for a quick/cheap fix until they decide to fix it properly.

I really want to go on another rant on how much ODOT loves cheap yet dangerous "left exits" and how embarrassing they all are compared to most of the interchanges you see in Texas and other neighboring states but I will restrain myself this time.

I can’t remember who it was but I talked to one of the engineers sometime ago and they said this whole interchange is being looked at, but it’s going to be a massive project. Pretty much the start of it is going to be the I 35 bridges over the Oklahoma river. I’m sure Boulder sooner knows about it as well.

. Pretty much the start of it is going to be the I 35 bridges over the Oklahoma river..
    this is correct the rest is on the back burner .. but the reality is that they can't do much until the bridge over I35 is widened

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This will be a HUGE improvement between 2nd Street and 15th Street.
    I would change that will be to should be.

What I fear is what I've seen with so many of these projects. They spend 2 or 3 years messing up traffic, then it finally opens and it's soooo nice but after a couple of months they shut down a lane or two to do more work and clog up traffic again.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is correct the rest is on the back burner .. but the reality is that they can't do much until the bridge over I35 is widened
    One thing I would really like but it would EXTREMELY expensive is to replace that loop ramp that takes I-40 EB to the 235 NB into a flyover.

HangryHippo Guest

One thing I would really like but it would EXTREMELY expensive is to replace that loop ramp that takes I-40 EB to the 235 NB into a flyover.
    This!!!!!!

Thread Information