Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Blog Entries

Default Re: Odot

OKC is situated in a great geographical position with Tulsa I-44 east, Wichita & Kansas City I-35 north, Dallas & San Antonio I-35 south, Little Rock & Memphis I-40 east and Denver, we could use a direct major interstate link without having to link from Wichita to Denver; a direct interstate link to Denver thru Oklahoma would improve total access to major points via automobile with OKC as the apex.

A direct interstate route between OKC and Denver would be nice, but honestly, I-35 to I-135 to I-70 isn't the worst thing in the world, there are exactly zero cities of note after Wichita on that route so there's very low traffic for the majority of it. It is, in my opinion, a far more pleasant drive than OKC/Austin and OKC/Houston despite being 3-4 hours longer than either of those.

3. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    A direct interstate route between OKC and Denver would be nice, but honestly, I-35 to I-135 to I-70 isn't the worst thing in the world, there are exactly zero cities of note after Wichita on that route so there's very low traffic for the majority of it. It is, in my opinion, a far more pleasant drive than OKC/Austin and OKC/Houston despite being 3-4 hours longer than either of those.
    You are correct on most points except that it is such G-D boring drive, you just about want to drive your car off the road just for kicks! There should be an effort to just bypass some of the small tows to help shorten the drive.

Besides, looking at Laramie's map, it's a great example of 3(2) +4(2) =5(2). Adiagonal highway could cut 2 full hours off the drive.

Traffic Advisories

Proposed improvements to I-35 between I-40 and I-44 in Oklahoma City to be highlighted Feb. 18

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation will present a public meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 18, to gather input for improving the safety of I-35 and the frontage roads between the I-40 and I-44 junctions in the Oklahoma City metro.

The meeting's purpose is to discuss operational and safety improvements that can be made to the four interchanges, I-35, frontage roads and 13 bridges in the corridor. The meeting also will discuss the potential widening of I-35 from four lanes to six lanes.

The public meeting will include a presentation of potential designs and give the public an opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback on the study. The study will be available after the public meeting. Currently these projects are not scheduled in the Eight-year Construction Work Plan.

Public Meeting for I-35 between I-40 and I-44 junctions

Tuesday, February 18
    6-7:30 p.m.
    Lincoln Park Golf Course Event Center
    4001 N.E. Grand Blvd. in Oklahoma City 73111

There also will be pop-up booths for those unable to attend the public meeting Feb. 18. These will be come-and-go events where the public can review the study, ask questions and give feedback.

Wednesday, February 19
    11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
    James Stewart Golf Course,Club House
    824 Frederick Douglas St.
    Oklahoma City, OK 73117

Thursday, February 20
    11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
    Metro Technology Center, Springlake Campus, outside the cafeteria
    1900 Springlake Drive
    Oklahoma City, OK 73111

Friday, February 21
    11 a.m.- 2 p.m.
    Ralph Ellison Library, Main Lobby
    2000 N.E. 23rd St.
    Oklahoma City, OK 73111

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=56160

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You are correct on most points except that it is such G-D boring drive, you just about want to drive your car off the road just for kicks! There should be an effort to just bypass some of the small tows to help shorten the drive.

Besides, looking at Laramie's map, it's a great example of 3(2) +4(2) =5(2). Adiagonal highway could cut 2 full hours off the drive.
    I-70 through Kansas and eastern Colorado is such a ridiculously boring drive. According to Google Maps, there is a more visually interesting and more direct route to Denver - I-40 west from OKC to US-281/Geary, US-281 to Watonga, US-270 from Watonga to Woodward, US-412 from Woodward to Boise City, US-385/287 from Boise City into Colorado through Lamar and Kit Carson to the I-70 interchange in Limon, then I-70 west into the city. This route is about 50 miles shorter, takes just about the same amount of time to drive, and is far more scenic than the I-70 route through Kansas.

Another option for a beautiful drive to Denver is to take I-40 west from OKC to the Loop 335 junction on the west side of Amarillo, Loop 335 north to FM-1061, FM-1061 west to US-385, US-385 north to US-87 in Dalhart, US-87 to the I-25 junction in Raton, then I-25 north through Colorado Springs into Denver. This route is about 10 miles / 30 minutes longer than the boring I-70 route, but it's 100% worth it especially for the drive through the gorgeous Raton Pass and along the front range.

Amarillo is where the interstate to Denver needs to originate from. OKC to Amarillo, and hop on the interstate to Denver. I believe they're extending I-27 in Texas south of Lubbock. Extending it to Denver would be a good next step, IMO. But in all reality, aside from flying, there is no quick trip to Denver.

7. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I-70 through Kansas and eastern Colorado is such a ridiculously boring drive. According to Google Maps, there is a more visually interesting and more direct route to Denver - I-40 west from OKC to US-281/Geary, US-281 to Watonga, US-270 from Watonga to Woodward, US-412 from Woodward to Boise City, US-385/287 from Boise City into Colorado through Lamar and Kit Carson to the I-70 interchange in Limon, then I-70 west into the city. This route is about 50 miles shorter, takes just about the same amount of time to drive, and is far more scenic than the I-70 route through Kansas.

Another option for a beautiful drive to Denver is to take I-40 west from OKC to the Loop 335 junction on the west side of Amarillo, Loop 335 north to FM-1061, FM-1061 west to US-385, US-385 north to US-87 in Dalhart, US-87 to the I-25 junction in Raton, then I-25 north through Colorado Springs into Denver. This route is about 10 miles / 30 minutes longer than the boring I-70 route, but it's 100% worth it especially for the drive through the gorgeous Raton Pass and along the front range.
    All good alternatives and in the 75+ times I've driven the drive, I've taken all those alternatives (including my more recent drive through Stratford, TX, getting a warning ticket for going 73 in a 70). They are slower than the mind-numbing 170 to I135 route through KS, they are a little more enjoyable with the NM volcanoes and quicker views of the mountains.

A couple people are upset at the possibility of homes being needed for this project. Yes that happens with vital infrastructure needing to be expanded. Sad. That Oklahoma didn’t even prepare for a small widening to six lanes but soon will be needing to look at 10+ lanes in some areas in the coming decades. This stretch of freeway is terrible and a proper six lane with aux and service roads should serve this area for a long time.

https://kfor.com/news/tensions-flare...-is-discussed/

https://www.koco.com/article/odot-of...-area/30989871

The meeting handouts and further details can be found for download at: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20200218.html.

Honestly, what the hell are they thinking with that alternative 4 in particular? Hey, why don't we pave over every single stretch of retail and housing that happens to be next to the interstate, but not with more interstate but with giant, wide-ranging frontage roads.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A couple people are upset at the possibility of homes being needed for this project. Yes that happens with vital infrastructure needing to be expanded. Sad. That Oklahoma didn’t even prepare for a small widening to six lanes but soon will be needing to look at 10+ lanes in some areas in the coming decades. This stretch of freeway is terrible and a proper six lane with aux and service roads should serve this area for a long time.

https://kfor.com/news/tensions-flare...-is-discussed/

https://www.koco.com/article/odot-of...-area/30989871
    Another example of ODOT's incredible planning for the future.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The meeting handouts and further details can be found for download at: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20200218.html.

Honestly, what the hell are they thinking with that alternative 4 in particular? Hey, why don't we pave over every single stretch of retail and housing that happens to be next to the interstate, but not with more interstate but with giant, wide-ranging frontage roads.
    It will make perfect sense, given all their funding and past genius decisions, that they'll choose alternative 4.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

I realize you are being sarcastic but come on. As long as the owners are properly compensated, you should not be surprised if your property is directly adjacent to a freeway or major road. We can build in other others and those areas become more dense.

The problem is that alt 4 is not an urban design, it's a suburban or rural design. Massive land waste for no good reason other than wasting land.

Hey, I live right next to I-44. If someday there's a redevelopment that needs to expand through my condo complex then at the very least I would want it to be for a properly urban design and not something stupid like this alt 4.

HangryHippo Guest

Exactly. If funding is truly such an issue, then why waste so much money on unnecessary frontage roads and related property acquisition?

I just wish they'd finish the I-240/I-35 interchange project before I retire. I think it's already a decade-plus behind schedule, with the last four phases still pending over the next, I think, several years.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I just wish they'd finish the I-240/I-35 interchange project before I retire. I think it's already a decade-plus behind schedule, with the last four phases still pending over the next, I think, several years.
    That interchange and the 40/44 interchange should have been done years ago!

Could they elevate the roads where the houses are located, or is this a terrible and infeasible idea?

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    Could they elevate the roads where the houses are located, or is this a terrible and infeasible idea?
    That would be more money than just buying ROW. It would be a long time before ODOT did anything anyway especially if they did go with the more expensive option. Like others have said, there are more important things for ODOT to be focusing on that are already further down the pipeline

In alt 4 most of those house displacements (and park displacements, and retail displacements, and golf course displacements, etc.) are by the frontage roads, and it seems doubtful those could be elevated while still serving the purpose of a frontage road.

20. Default Re: Odot

^I can't imagine the City being excited about the frontage cutting through Lincoln, or Twin Hills having their historic property ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    ^I can't imagine the City being excited about the frontage cutting through Lincoln, or Twin Hills having their historic property ruined.
    Yeah, there is no way alt 4 is happening. ODOT is just presenting that as the bitter pill so that alt 2 would be easier to swallow by the local neighborhoods. The amount of right of way is huge with alt 4. The worst thing about the existing "frontage roads' is that they are random and disjointed, if they actually connected them it wouldn't be bad for the area.

Alternative 4 would be the best by far. I highly doubt it happens though. It would allow for future expansion which is going to be inevitable when the area becomes even more built up. I am not crazy about the two way frontage roads with alt. 4 but those can be converted later on. I wish they would go for alternative 4 but knowing OkDOT's practices I suspect no. 2 is chosen.

Apparently much land in this area is classified as rural which is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly. If funding is truly such an issue, then why waste so much money on unnecessary frontage roads and related property acquisition?
    Because in the future I-35 will need to be expanded again. I only wish OkDOT would plan like this and I have yet to see them do so. TxDOT has enough ROW for state numbered roads to be expanded to 14+ lanes in some areas and yet I-35 through south OKC will have trouble being widened to accommodate 8 lanes. Highly unlikely OkDOT chooses alt 4 anyways as their tactics seem to be provide the most detail on the alternative they want and show one that usually is out of their normal construction practice. Alt. 4 is both of those.

24. Default Re: Odot

I can't believe they are still considering constructing the same 1950s 2-way access roads. You would think the fact there are tens of millions being spent in Edmond to get away from this dangerous, antiquated design is beyond reason.

Also, it appears, like on the Kilpatrick Tollway up north, they want to crowd the exit ramps right up close to the major cross street so there would be potential left-turn lane backups onto the exit ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I can't believe they are still considering constructing the same 1950s 2-way access roads. You would think the fact there are tens of millions being spent in Edmond to get away from this dangerous, antiquated design is beyond reason.
    +1. Those roads are idiotic in this day and age. It's not like there are business that need 2-way access.
    Also, it appears, like on the Kilpatrick Tollway up north, they want to crowd the exit ramps right up close to the major cross street so there would be potential left-turn lane backups onto the exit ramps.
    Alt 4 is useless. Takes way too much land, has ramps crowded too close to the interchanges, looks to have eliminated the railroad access to the Railway museum, etc. etc. As mentioned, it looks as if they threw in that ludicrous alternative just so one of the others wouldn't seem so bad.

Thread Information