Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm guessing that was an ODOT decision. Do they ever think ahead or plan?
    Never. The way they handle projects is abursdly stupid. I understand money is tight, but they make things worse than they ought to be with their stupid designs.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't know how I didn't know this until now but, this weekend I was traveling south on Broadway in Edmond and was needing to go east on the Kilpatrick. There is no exit for Kilpatrick eastbound if you're going south on Broadway. You have to go to 122nd and exit, then go under the bridge and enter back onto B'way extension to get to the eastbound exit for the turnpike. How ridiculous is that?

I'm guessing that was an ODOT decision. Do they ever think ahead or plan?
    That would be the turnpike authority in this case. They don't want to set aside funds to build a SB to EB ramp. The same goes for proper ramps going north and south onto the lake hefner parkway.

I wonder if it was a combination of cost for another flyover ramp and property/right-of-way issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That would be the turnpike authority in this case. They don't want to set aside funds to build a SB to EB ramp. The same goes for proper ramps going north and south onto the lake hefner parkway.
    They're doing the LHP ramps this year and next year. I would imagine the broadway extension ramp can't be justified based upon traffic demand for the cost for building a flyover. Certainly more daily commuters that would use the LHP ramps than a SB to EB ramp at broadway and kilpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher07 View Post
    They're doing the LHP ramps this year and next year.
    Are you talking about an EB ramp AND a WB ramp onto the turnpike from SB 74...and....a NB ramp onto 74 from WB turnpike...and....a WB ramp onto the turnpike from NB 74...and...a NB ramp and a SB ramp onto 74 from EB turnpike?

Things that should have been done when they built that intersection...those are actually going to get built?

Energy FC Re: Odot

Yes they are going to build direct connect ramps.. FY18-19

https://www.pikepass.com/pdf/Project...s%20Update.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Are you talking about an EB ramp AND a WB ramp onto the turnpike from SB 74...and....a NB ramp onto 74 from WB turnpike...and....a WB ramp onto the turnpike from NB 74...and...a NB ramp and a SB ramp onto 74 from EB turnpike?

Things that should have been done when they built that intersection...those are actually going to get built?

I hear ya, but I'm sure the traffic demand at the point of construction couldn't justify the extra cost of building all the flyovers.

If i were a betting man i would say these next two projects will add at least two flyovers. The first one will almost certainly be NB LHP to WB Turnpike (although a question of toll collection comes into play). The second one isn't as obvious...could be SB LHP to EB Turnpike (easy toll interaction), EB Turnpike to SB LHP, or even WB Turnpike to NB LHP (although this one could have some serious roadway design challenges).

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher07 View Post
    (although this one could have some serious roadway design challenges).
    Challenges that could have been avoided had it been planned out at the time instead of tacked on years later.

If this interchange (or any interchange) would be designed for all ramp locations, booth locations, easement clearances, ect., and then it was decided not to build them at that time; it would be much easier to build them at a later date then to build all new ramps from scratch....no such challenges. Why is that such a hard thing to do? (the planning for future part)

Here is the design for I-40/Frisco Rd. interchange in Yukon.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20170613.html

Looks like Lindsey Street bridge is opening.

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=34197

Blog Entries

Wonder if we start losing contributing Fed Funds?

Anyone know what is happening to the 23rd St. bridge over I-44?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDub2 View Post
    Anyone know what is happening to the 23rd St. bridge over I-44?
    No idea, but if they've closed and replaced every other bridge on that stretch of 44, then I wouldn't be surprised if the 23rd Street bridge is heading that way soon.

Industry: ODOT’s cuts to projects are offensive, will hurt economy

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record October 2, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials cut back on dozens of road and bridge projects in their eight-year plan in response to the Legislature’s handling of the state budget Monday.

The Transportation Commission voted to approve a rebalanced plan for projects for fiscal years 2018-2025, for removing items for the first time since 2003. Overall, 40 construction projects worth about $204 million were cut from the calendar and 40 percent of all programmed projects were delayed at least one year, including 65 that were scheduled for bidding this year. Of the remaining projects, several have been significantly reduced in scope in order to stretch available funding, spokeswoman Brenda Perry said.

ODOT officials expressed frustration for being forced to make the adjustments in response to $840 million in cumulative state funding reductions over the last seven years. The private sector was blunter.

“Here’s why it’s frustrating: Roads and bridges are the most commonly used core function of government in the state,” said Bobby Stem, president of the Association of Oklahoma General Contractors, which represents the industry behind most roadwork. “This is the only agency with an eight-year finance plan, with numbers rather than words. They’re not political. These projects are directed by accident and fatality reports.

“So you have the most accountable and transparent agency … constantly being used to shore up the rest of state government,” he said. “When you couple all of those aspects together, you find the Legislature’s actions to be highly offensive.”

Stem said his group represents up to 30,000 people with jobs in the road construction and repair industry, including insurance and financial bonds professionals, sod producers and engineers. The Legislature’s budget is not only hurting infrastructure, he said, but cutting in the economy as well.

The commission is the final step in a project-selection process that involves ODOT field division engineers and other staff members identifying critical needs in balance with state and federal funding. The plan is updated each year to reflect completions, delays, changes in costs and revenue projections. Funding comes from state income tax collections and state motor fuel tax appropriations, as well as the federal Highway Trust Fund.

Examples of scheduled projects that have been removed from the updated plan include realignment of the U.S. Highway 70 near Madill and $32 million for the replacement of U.S. Highway 60 bridges in Ottawa County. The reconstruction of U.S. Highway 75 along the eastern leg of the Inner Dispersal Loop in downtown Tulsa will be delayed two years; Interstate 40 interchange construction and widening at Douglas Boulevard in Midwest City will be delayed five years.

OkDOT will review the service roads in Edmond from 2nd. St. to Memorial and possibly propose changes which includes conversion to one way or improvements to existing configuration.

Press Releases
    Thursday, October 19, 2017

I-35 frontage roads in Edmond under review; public input sought Oct. 26

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation will present a public meeting about the future design of the I-35 frontage roads from Memorial Rd. to Second St. in Edmond.

In 2015, ODOT commissioned an I-35 corridor study from the John Kilpatrick Turnpike north to Waterloo Rd. The purpose of the study is to determine the safety and traffic needs of I-35, its interchanges and frontage roads. As part of this overall corridor evaluation, ODOT is seeking public input specific to the two-way I-35 frontage roads between Memorial Rd. and Second St. in Edmond.

Three concepts will be presented for input, including:

Improving the existing two-way frontage roads;
    Converting them to one-way frontage roads south of Second St. to Memorial Rd.; or
    Maintaining the existing frontage road configuration with no changes.
    In the proposed options, the consultant took into consideration construction and right-of-way costs and environmental constraints.

At the meeting, the public can view the proposed frontage road concepts, speak with engineers and planners and give input on the proposed improvements.

I-35 Frontage Roads in Edmond Public Meeting

Thursday, Oct. 26

6 p.m.

Edmond Community Center Auditorium

28 E. Main St.

- https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=37089
    Given that Edmond is a pretty backwards community as is most of Oklahoma, I suspect people will be reluctant to support one way conversions. I support one way conversions and I think it'd be better if they went with a tight diamond interchange and added Texas turnarounds at every intersection. Additionally, I think they should add new bridges over I-35 in 3 locations to prevent the situation that has unfolded in Moore with the commercial development along I-35 before it happens in Edmond. The first and most obvious is a new connection between Integris and the Fox Lake Plaza.

Blog Entries

Why do so many on here find it necessary to insult instead of just offering some positive improvement ideas. Guess it’s just backwards posters.

Actually Edmond shows up on many lists of most livable towns and cities. I’m sure that galls many here.

In the prior two posts, I see one person offering ideas, and one person insulting.

Just something to think about on a cool Sunday morning.

Texas Turnarounds would be the minimum improvement needed if they wanted to make it one way only.

22. Default Re: Odot

While some blindly blather out insults about OKC or its 'burbs, let me point out that here in beautiful, progressive, pot-smokin, light-rail-served, millenial magnet Denver, there are no access roads at all. I do agree that when in OK, I am quite a driving hazard because I assume the access roads are all one-way. I far prefer them with the Texas turnarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    While some blindly blather out insults about OKC or its 'burbs, let me point out that here in beautiful, progressive, pot-smokin, light-rail-served, millenial magnet Denver, there are no access roads at all. I do agree that when in OK, I am quite a driving hazard because I assume the access roads are all one-way. I far prefer them with the Texas turnarounds.
    I’ve come to notice that service roads are rare outside of Texas and Oklahoma. Most states don’t have them. They help when you know a state consistently builds them, but when you know not to expect them it doesn’t add much of a burden, at least for me.

I am against the idea of making the access roads along I-35 one way. My reason. I am a retired Edmond firefighter. I worked at st 4. The idea of not being able to drive directly to a location would be a night mare. I remember driving out of that station when the first tornado to come through there a number of years back (before the one that hit Mercy) It was just south I was going north to get my engine out of danger. I would NOT have wanted to have to drive against traffic. Driving against traffic is dangerous. The city did make On Cue provide a drive up to 15th just in case it does go one way. Still I don't like the idea. I am now retired but just my 2 cents.

Yes, yes AND yes!

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I am against the idea of making the access roads along I-35 one way. My reason. I am a retired Edmond firefighter. I worked at st 4. The idea of not being able to drive directly to a location would be a night mare. I remember driving out of that station when the first tornado to come through there a number of years back (before the one that hit Mercy) It was just south I was going north to get my engine out of danger. I would NOT have wanted to have to drive against traffic. Driving against traffic is dangerous. The city did make On Cue provide a drive up to 15th just in case it does go one way. Still I don't like the idea. I am now retired but just my 2 cents.

Thread Information