Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post

fify
    I am guessing they are going to that configuration partly out of being able to build around the current configuration, however it looks like it is at best not any better at a higher cost of construction and maintenance verses the current one, it might even be a bit worse if the flyover from 44 westbound to 35 northbound is not two lanes. Plus not pictured is the most likely place to jam was the short merging lane from 44 westbound to 35 southbound.

Why isn't I-44/I-40 interchange scheduled to be replaced sooner? Jams up pretty good during rush hour. Getting it too three lanes all the way through would help a lot.

^I agree! I also wish the ramps for the main lanes of I-35 (at I-235 and I-40) and I-44 (at Lake Hefner Parkway and SH 66) were at least two lanes all the way through (the westbound ramp pf I-44 is two lanes but merges to one lane at the end of the ramp, and the eastbound ramp looks like it once was two lanes all the way through, was it at one time?).

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    ^I agree! I also wish the ramps for the main lanes of I-35 (at I-235 and I-40) and I-44 (at Lake Hefner Parkway and SH 66) were at least two lanes all the way through (the westbound ramp pf I-44 is two lanes but merges to one lane at the end of the ramp, and the eastbound ramp looks like it once was two lanes all the way through, was it at one time?).
    It looks kind of like there could have been two lanes from the concrete, but it also use to have another on ramp from 36th going eastbound but was more trouble then it was worth. So at best it would have been three lanes trying to merge down to two (though it could have also been merging three to one), if it ever was two lanes it had been changed before I was driving.

I'm waiting for the photos to be posted here: Oklahoma Department of Transportation - 20151006

I asked them about it on Twitter.

You can now view everything here: Oklahoma Department of Transportation - 20151006

Alternative 1

Alt. 2

Here is the plan for Alt. 2. (The link for Alt. 1 isn't working)

I prefer Alt. 2

I guess what seems odd about this is compared to a lot of the other junctions it is in decent condition now. I am a bit surprised they would put it before widening 35 between 23rd and this junction or a segment around the metro that seems like it it could have used major surface rehabilitation at least ten years ago but not currently on the list to have anything done.

As bad as ODOT is, I don't think even they could be this stupid.

Arkansas Wants to Widen Highway, Eliminate Streetcar for ?Safety? | Streetsblog USA

I hope they don't tear the highway down but there is no reason to eliminate the streetcar. Hopefully they can come up with a solution that benefits everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I hope they don't tear the highway down but there is no reason to eliminate the streetcar. Hopefully they can come up with a solution that benefits everyone.
    Having lived in Little Rock, I can say that widening that highway to 10 lanes is overkill. Traffic does slow up during rush hour but its never that bad. The city has a very impressive downtown for a metro area its size and if they remove the streetcar and build this highway it will really damage their downtown. Little Rock isn't that big geographically. They would be better off to re-sign I-440 as I-30 which loops around the city. Then, they should convert the current elevated I-30 into a boulevard.

The current setup is very, very similar to the old Crosstown I-40 in OKC.

ODOT officials anxiously await the start of viaduct construction | Guthrie News Page

Future highway improvements in Logan County

2016 – Three I-35 resurfacing projects stretching from the US-77 junction north to Mulhall are scheduled to be awarded in November and completed in 2016. $16.5 million

2016 – SH-33 reconstruction and widening over Cottonwood Creek from 12th Street to just east of Division Street in Guthrie. $15.2 million

2017 – US-77 bridge replacement and resurfacing over the Cimarron River. $5.9 million

2017 – SH-105 resurfacing from 7.5 miles east of SH-33 stretching to the county line. $1 million

2021 – SH-33 adding shoulders from Kingfisher County line stretching east for 3.5 miles. $6.4 million

2021 – SH-33 bridge replacement and resurfacing over Gar Creek. $2.5 million

2023 – I-35 and SH-33 interchange reconstruction including ramps and bridges. $10 million

2023 – I-35 pavement replacement from one mile north of SH-33 to the Cimarron River. $16.2 million

2023 – Complete the final phase of SH-33 reconstruction and widening to four-lane divided highway from Guthrie to Perkins. $4.8 million

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I guess what seems odd about this is compared to a lot of the other junctions it is in decent condition now. I am a bit surprised they would put it before widening 35 between 23rd and this junction or a segment around the metro that seems like it it could have used major surface rehabilitation at least ten years ago but not currently on the list to have anything done.
    Yes. I just don't see the reasoning to do this unless there are multiple accidents and constant rush hour traffic back ups here... which I don't think exist now.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The bridges across the defunct Frisco tracks and NW 63rd are highly substandard (the 63rd St bridges are fracture critical). Since you have to completely replace them, you might as well do it right and fix the remainder of the interchange.

18. Default Re: Odot

Governor announces new OK county turnpike, other improvements | News OK

I may have missed a turnpike thread so if there is one mods please move to appropriate place

19. Default Re: Odot

This is very bad.

This is awesome!

21. Default Re: Odot

A total waste of money for something that is unnecessary. That money could have been spent on much more important transportation issues.

22. Default Re: Odot

Agree. Not necessary. In my opinion there should only be one expansion. Granted this is not ODOT and a different fund, but somehow tying in the hefner parkway/Portland up to the north then east to I35 (ducks)

Does anyone have maps of the proposed construction?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    A total waste of money for something that is unnecessary. That money could have been spent on much more important transportation issues.
    These are tollroads. Although I agree with you this city desperately needs mass transit, I'd be just as happy as I am for these new highways as I would be for a light-rail system.

25. Default Re: Odot

I can understand money for highways that are already being used. But this is constructing new ones that are totally unnecessary.

Thread Information