Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

1. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Interesting but Roundabouts are more effective IMHO.
    While it may be true, how many roundabouts are there used for highway exits?

2. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Common in Europe. I have seen the double diamond with roundabouts, I have seen 4-5 lane roundabouts. I used to edit maps for Waze a couple years ago and have seen a lot of configurations out there.

Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    Common in Europe. I have seen the double diamond with roundabouts, I have seen 4-5 lane roundabouts. I used to edit maps for Waze a couple years ago and have seen a lot of configurations out there.
    Depends on the traffic volume. England has taken many of theirs out on larger arterials (A40 in west London comes to mind). There comes a point where a roundabout just can't handle the volume effectively.

I believe that is true. Roundabouts are better up to a certain traffic flow, after that, the DDI improves heavy traffic. I seem to remember the cutover number is around 30-40,000 cars per day -but I may be off.

California and Indiana are also now using round-a-bout freeway exits.

As for the people who give up the right of way to others - they really need to stop that. As I driver I am expecting you to go when it is your turn. When you go rouge you screw up traffic flow for everyone. You might think you are helping me out but you aren't (and by 'you', I mean anyone that isn't me).

6. Default Re: Odot

Giving up your right-of-way at stops risky and unintentionally DIScourteous, putting other drivers into unnecessary danger and counterintuitively slowing the process for EVERYBODY. It is anarchy disguised as politeness.

This is Exit 12 on I-87 in Malta NY. I've been through here numerous times and it works very well.

8. Default Re: Odot

That is especially true on highways. Pisses me off when people slow down for me when I am trying to merge on the highway. I am trying to get behind you and you are causing an accident.

Just west of DIA (can't remember which road) there are 2 roundabouts on each side of the interstate. I went through there twice and it was a breeze.

I don't think there is any hope for people here to understand what the yield signs mean.
    This

So much this. It happens all around the metro, but one of the worst places I've noticed it is in Norman when exiting for Highway 9 east. The people entering from Lindsay to go southbound don't even bother slowing down at the yield sign. They just come on ahead and if you can't stop in time, then that's your problem.

11. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    This

So much this. It happens all around the metro, but one of the worst places I've noticed it is in Norman when exiting for Highway 9 east. The people entering from Lindsay to go southbound don't even bother slowing down at the yield sign. They just come on ahead and if you can't stop in time, then that's your problem.
    Mmmhmm. I am the first one to just lay on the horn at the idiot not slowing down.

Also, people who assume that car length space between me and the car in front of me is for them. They see that space as an open invitation to just slide right in. I wonder if these people ever took driver's ed and realize that I leave that space there so that if the person in front of me has to stop suddenly, I have enough space to stop and not run into the back of them.

"I-35 narrowed between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood through Fall 2015

North and southbound I-35 is narrowed to one lane in each direction one mile north of SH-29 (Wynnewood/Elmore City exit) between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood in Garvin County through Fall 2015 for a bridge rehabilitation project at Red Branch Creek. Drivers can expect delays and should plan extra travel time, especially during weekends and holidays.

In September, the Oklahoma Transportation Commission awarded a nearly $1.7 million contract for this project to Bridgeco Contractors, Inc. of Wellston."

Oklahoma Department of Transportation

This has been a real pain. It's actually much much faster to get off of the highway and find a country road for a couple of miles and then get back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    "I-35 narrowed between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood through Fall 2015

North and southbound I-35 is narrowed to one lane in each direction one mile north of SH-29 (Wynnewood/Elmore City exit) between Pauls Valley and Wynnewood in Garvin County through Fall 2015 for a bridge rehabilitation project at Red Branch Creek. Drivers can expect delays and should plan extra travel time, especially during weekends and holidays.

In September, the Oklahoma Transportation Commission awarded a nearly $1.7 million contract for this project to Bridgeco Contractors, Inc. of Wellston."

Oklahoma Department of Transportation

This has been a real pain. It's actually much much faster to get off of the highway and find a country road for a couple of miles and then get back on.
    I can only picture the "fun" of OU-TX traffic if this isn't un-narrowed by then.

Walking or biking can save more money than you think | News OK

Shhhh - let's not let this get out. ODOT will not be pleased that even newsok is publishing such drivel. Walk a mile through downtown on a walkable street rather than get run over on the boulevard? Whaaaa?

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Walking or biking can save more money than you think | News OK

Shhhh - let's not let this get out. ODOT will not be pleased that even newsok is publishing such drivel. Walk a mile through downtown on a walkable street rather than get run over on the boulevard? Whaaaa?
    Heresy in the Energy / Concrete Capitol......

I have emailed them about specific potholes on Interstates that have been there for many months. I have done this twice in the past year or so and both times the issue was fixed within a week of notifying them.

Not sure if this is the norm, but go ahead and shoot them an email and try to describe the location as best you can. Worth a shot, you are probably helping many people in the community by alerting them to the problem. The bystander effect is probably a real issue when it comes to deteriorating roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I have emailed them about specific potholes on Interstates that have been there for many months. I have done this twice in the past year or so and both times the issue was fixed within a week of notifying them.

Not sure if this is the norm, but go ahead and shoot them an email and try to describe the location as best you can. Worth a shot, you are probably helping many people in the community by alerting them to the problem. The bystander effect is probably a real issue when it comes to deteriorating roads.
    Notification puts them on notice for claims - if they have notice, they cannot then deny a claim if the pothole wasn't fixed in a timely manner. That's the OKC position at least; I assume it's the same State statute tort situation at ODOT.

Airport Highway Cable Barriers

SH-152 (Airport Rd.) narrows west of I-44 daily
    Westbound SH-152 (Airport Rd.) will be narrowed to one lane between I-44 and Macarthur Ave. from
    9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily through April as part of an ongoing cable barrier installation project. Drivers can expect delays and should plan extra travel time.

- Oklahoma Department of Transportation

The 44 and the 35 interchange is schedule to be replaced.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LgzMjWL.jpg[\img]

I'll post better pictures of the plans when I see them.

fify

Thread Information