Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Plupan, if you keep looking for a while you may still be able to find a few more newspapers links to the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, if you keep looking for a while you may still be able to find a few more newspapers links to the same story.
    The field mouse is fast but the owl can see in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The field mouse is fast but the owl can see in the dark.
    So obviously you are the field mouse and I'm the owl. LOL

This is cool as well... From The Tulsa World

The new website, which hasn’t been updated in several years, will be more user friendly.

The site is okladot.state.ok.us

- ODOT fears attempt to cut funding for road, bridge repairs - Tulsa World: State
    The site isn't up yet, but I am excited to see it. Hopefully more funding is identified this year for expanding highways and roads and ODOT gets in on it!

Something for our "fiscal conservatives" to consider:

"This is our system: one big Ponzi scheme attempting to prop up a 1950’s development extravaganza of strip malls, big box stores, fast food and cheap residential housing. You want to spend more on this?"

No New Roads ? Strong Towns

This is cool as well... From The Tulsa World

The site isn't up yet, but I am excited to see it. Hopefully more funding is identified this year for expanding highways and roads and ODOT gets in on it!
    The site is still running, the reason the link in the article is bad is they left off www in the article, unlike most of the rest of the internet you still have to put www. on the front of ODOT's site because they did not configure their server to handle both ways. Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation

Plus saying it has not been updated in years is a bit misleading, it gets content added pretty much every workday, the site layout/design is what has not changed in years. The areas they probably need the most work is finding things and more focus on keeping content up to date & either archiving or deleting content once it is no longer relevant.

Defensive driving: ODOT wants to protect funding in upcoming session

By: Marie Price The Journal Record January 5, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Department of Transportation’s game plan for the upcoming legislative session will stress defense, ODOT Director Mike Patterson said following Monday’s Oklahoma Transportation Commission meeting.

“It doesn’t contain much offense,” Patterson said.

Last session there was a move to use some transportation money to boost education funding, he said.

“We’ve already heard some conversation about that prior to this session,” Patterson said. “We want to be ready to inform the new legislators, and certainly the veteran legislators, about the impact (of) that kind of conversation, and if it goes to fruition, what impact that would have on the eight-year plan.”

He said there’s much work remaining to be done, from fixing structurally deficient bridges to safety concerns and other needs.

“(The work) just gets our current system to a manageable state,” Patterson said. “It doesn’t address the future needs.”

Patterson also explained three funding transfers on Monday’s agenda: $20 million from federal aid projects to engineering contracts, $250,000 to increase public transit funding and $1.5 million in additional county equipment money.

He said such transfers are fairly routine; they are made during the fiscal year as needs in one area or another become more well-defined.

“It’s just to shore up the budget and get the money in the right place,” Patterson said.

He said the public transit and county equipment funding transfers signify money left over from the previous year to help the two programs.

Patterson also revealed that on Tuesday ODOT will launch the first revamping of its website in 15 or 20 years. He said the agency was one of the first in Oklahoma to have a website.

“The website we have today is based on older technology,” he said. “It’s less flexible.”

Beginning Tuesday, he said, it will be easier for ODOT to make changes without having to hire consultants to accomplish the revisions.

“We couldn’t make routine changes on a daily basis,” Patterson said.

The upgrade was accomplished for about $5,000 through the OK.gov website contractor, he said.

Previously, Patterson said, users had to drill down into the site to find information on the agency’s eight-year construction plan and other commonly sought data.

New website is up.

That is an interesting way of setting it up. The home page and landing pages are new and being hosted on OK.gov but once you get down one to three levels (depending on topic) in the site structure it starts forwarding users to the old site being hosted at www.okladot.state.ok.us with the old layout.

Yeah, are they going to fix that most likely? It is weird.

Yeah, are they going to fix that most likely? It is weird.
    If there are any near term changes with this, I would expect it would just be to cosmetically make the old site template(s) look like the new one (or at least closer to it).

I get the feeling that this is being done out of the push for all state agencies to be using the OK.gov system and centralized IT but implemented in a way they do not have to change their day to day process for adding material to the site.

Doesn't mean squat. Economy's a bit better, gas prices are lower than they were then, and most of all, we don't have a choice but to drive. Woohoo.

Blog Entries

Wait, the deep recession and high gas prices didn't cause less driving, but lower prices and a better economy cause more?

Not saying that there isn't a renewed emphasis on mass trans options and that that isn't a good thing, just saying you can't claim/blame one and not the other. Cultural changes often are precipitated by economics...in fact, usually are.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Doesn't mean squat. Economy's a bit better, gas prices are lower than they were then, and most of all, we don't have a choice but to drive. Woohoo.
    that interesting. Don't don't ever want to see some urbanist use that info again when US driving dips in the future because by your logic it won't mean crap either because I could say people are being forced to walk.

From what I see, this means people want to drive. Have fun taking your crappy buses, I'll stick to my wide highways and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Wait, the deep recession and high gas prices didn't cause less driving, but lower prices and a better economy cause more?

Not saying that there isn't a renewed emphasis on mass trans options and that that isn't a good thing, just saying you can't claim/blame one and not the other. Cultural changes often are precipitated by economics...in fact, usually are.
    Rover, I posted his because the town urbanist kept using figures that were showing driving and drivers license issues in the US were on the decline(and they were) and now hay trend is reversing. They tried to claim suburbias days are numbered and used those statistics as "proof."

Now that those are changing the opposite way, people like no1club are now saying they don't matter anymore. Funmy, I expected two people to say something like that and one of them did.

I'm not trying to say the urbanism is dying or mass transit is going away, I am pointing out the hypocrisy and ignorance... Or perhaps something intentional.

21. Default Re: Odot

Rover, I posted his because the town urbanist kept using figures that were showing driving and drivers license issues in the US were on the decline(and they were) and now hay trend is reversing. They tried to claim suburbias days are numbered and used those statistics as "proof."

Now that those are changing the opposite way, people like no1club are now saying they don't matter anymore. Funmy, I expected two people to say something like that and one of them did.

I'm not trying to say the urbanism is dying or mass transit is going away, I am pointing out the hypocrisy and ignorance... Or perhaps something intentional.
    And this all has what to do with "ODOT"? So much stupid topic creep. Keep relevant topics in those specific threads or make a new one.

But still below the highest levels we've ever seen. The past 7-8 years have been remarkably consistent. One bigger year does not a trend make.

Chart VMT-421 ? Highway Statistics 2013 ? Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) ? FHWA

that interesting. Don't don't ever want to see some urbanist use that info again when US driving dips in the future because by your logic it won't mean crap either because I could say people are being forced to walk.

From what I see, this means people want to drive. Have fun taking your crappy buses, I'll stick to my wide highways and cars.
    Haha ok dude whatever you say. No one has a problem with your 20 lane freeways. I mean I sort of do since my taxes go towards paying for them (well part of them, since taxes would be unaffordable if we actually had to pay for all of them).

All we're saying is that for those of us who actually enjoy using our own two feet, who actually enjoy interacting with other humans and not other cars, all I'm saying is that for our sake, keep those 20 lane freeways the hell out of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    And this all has what to do with "ODOT"? So much stupid topic creep. Keep relevant topics in those specific threads or make a new one.
    oh I don't know venture, maybe the fact that driving has a little to do with ODOT seeing that they will expand roads and highways when traffic counts go up. I just thought an article that has to do with driving might suit a thread all about driving.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    But still below the highest levels we've ever seen. The past 7-8 years have been remarkably consistent. One bigger year does not a trend make.

Chart VMT-421 ? Highway Statistics 2013 ? Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) ? FHWA
    Exactly this. It's as valid as saying "fewer people in Japan used public transit last year" and all of a sudden claiming that Japan hates their bullet trains. Makes zero sense. Just a disclaimer that I have no stats on this - and Japan's population has been declining for years, so I'm sure ridership is down. But I'm sure pulplan will interpret that his own way.

Thread Information