Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

This is cool!

In Oklahoma City, a $1 million grant to the Oklahoma City Redevelopment Authority will help fund street improvements that will improve access and add streetscape beautification to serve the western gateway into the University of Oklahoma Health Center and bioscience campus.

- US Commerce Dept. Invests $4.6 Million In Oklahoma - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

They did something similar on the Pecos bridge over I-70 just west of Downtown Denver earlier this year. Pretty interesting method.

This is really good news!

Oklahoma City gets informative digital highway signs

For more than a decade, digital message boards above highway roads across the Oklahoma City metro area have given drivers updates related to construction zones, accidents and emergency alerts.

Now, the state Transportation Department’s next major phase utilizing the informative signs was put in gear Thursday. Its goal: create an even “smarter” highway experience, officials reported.

(Story continued below...)
    Up-to-the-minute traffic conditions displayed during morning and evening rush hours will now aid drivers with estimated travel times. Signs are strategically placed to give drivers the chance to alter their route if message boards report long wait times ahead, said department spokeswoman Terri Angier.

“The new angle is the travel times,” Angier said. “This helps us meet the needs of the driving public in a metropolitan area.”

About half a dozen signs in the metro area began the program Thursday. Angier said all 21 message boards in the metro will implement the system in November.

Real-time traffic information will be displayed weekdays around rush hour, from 6 to 9 a.m. and 3 to 6 p.m. Emergency alerts, though, will always “outrank” travel time information, she said.

Anyone also can access the department’s Pathfinder system at oktraffic.org. An interactive map displays message board locations, live roadway video and current traffic speeds.

The Tulsa area has 19 signs in place. Those will start the program following Oklahoma City’s completion, she said.

- Oklahoma City gets informative digital highway signs | NewsOK.com
    The department’s next project, costing approximately $1.5 million, will concern installing new message boards at major “ports-of-entry” along the state’s borders. This will give drivers entering the state immediate information about the state’s roadways.

Angier said that project will begin next summer. At least seven entry points are planned to get new signs, she said.

4. Default Re: Odot

About time. Never understood why they didn't have it already.

HangryHippo Guest

When will they actually finish the weigh stations that might actually help preserve road conditions?

From News9

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) will do its final round of testing 21 electronic signs in Oklahoma City, on Wednesday.
    The electronic signs were installed over the course of the past few years, and the agency plans to set up more near the borders of Texas, Arkansas and Kansas.

Special sensors measure speed of the cars passing through and send the data to a computer system which posts the information to the signs. Along with real-time travel information, Amber Alerts, Silver Alerts and weather-related road closures will be posted as well.

So far signs are on I-35, I-40, I-44 and on Broadway Extension.

ODOT plans to display this information every weekday from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The agency says the boards will be in full use beginning Monday, November 10.

- ODOT Testing Electronic Signs In OKC Wednesday - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From News9
    Better late than never. First signs went up over 10 years ago.

Next thing they need to do is release an app shows this information and update their website that looks like it was developed in the 90's.

http://www.oktraffic.org.

From the Journal Record:

ODOT seeking public input for long-range plan

By: Journal Record Staff November 7, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is asking the public to take an active role in planning state transportation policies and improvements for the next 25 years.

It has scheduled three open house public meetings in eastern, central and western Oklahoma in November as part of its ongoing development of the state’s 2015-2040 long-range transportation plan. The meetings will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The first meeting will be Nov. 17 at Muskogee Civic Center, 425 Boston St. in Muskogee. The second meeting will occur in Clinton on Nov. 18 at the Frisco Center, 101 S. Fourth St. The final meeting will be Nov. 19 at the Moore Public Library, 225 S. Howard Ave., Moore.

These open-house meetings will give members of the public a chance to meet with engineers and planners, propose ideas and review materials on the existing conditions and needed improvements to Oklahoma’s transportation system.

I'm really curious about this... TV news stories don't tell the full story. The Cottonwood Bridge IS already on a state highway (SH33). What does ODOT mean by it WILL be a state highway?

Also, why does ODOT need to purchase ROW from over 50 properties for a simple bridge replacement? Is Guthrie going to go from a quaint old bridge to some monstrous replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I'm really curious about this... TV news stories don't tell the full story. The Cottonwood Bridge IS already on a state highway (SH33). What does ODOT mean by it WILL be a state highway?

Also, why does ODOT need to purchase ROW from over 50 properties for a simple bridge replacement? Is Guthrie going to go from a quaint old bridge to some monstrous replacement?
    The bridge is three times as long as the current bridge and involves closing down three streets. I guess they recycled the original boulevard plans? lol

ODOT Presentation
    Public Hearing - 8th of May, 2014

I think the part of SH33 WILL be a state highway is attributed to the narrator.

From what I understand, the reconstruction of the bridge is to be 4 lane, taller, wider, and longer for the expanded flood plain. It is largely supported in Guthrie from the people I've spoken with what they have have told. I guess some are just upset they aren't getting the price they want, and understandably so. You can't please everyone. I will say this bridge is needed.

As for the highway comment, I'm sure it was poor wording.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The bridge is three times as long as the current bridge and involves closing down three streets. I guess they recycled the original boulevard plans? lol

ODOT Presentation
    Public Hearing - 8th of May, 2014
    It's about time. Cottonwood creek floods every time it rains upstream, seemingly. My relatives there hate it. The hospital is on the west side of town and most of the people are east. When the road is closed to flooding, the closest hospital is in Edmond. It flooded last June, in the middle of our extended drought.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rMu3tdeuuiQ

From the Journal Record:

The road ahead: Commission considers biggest ODOT contract ever, for I-35 work in Norman
    By: Marie Price The Journal Record December 5, 2014

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Transportation Commission is scheduled to vote Monday on the largest single construction contract in the history of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, a project that will mean major changes along Interstate 35 in Norman.

Up for discussion is a contract for reconstruction of the north half of the I-35 interchange at State Highway 9 East and reconstruction of the Lindsey Street interchange, along with widening of I-35 to six lanes.

The Lindsey Street project is for construction of a Single Point Urban Interchange, a spatially efficient design that handles more traffic volume in urban environments than some previous designs. Earlier this year, an SPUI opened at Main Street and I-35 in Norman.

The estimated total cost of the work is $80 million.

However, officials said the contract includes several deadlines with time-based incentives for each piece of the project.

The exact final cost will depend upon whether the contractor meets those deadlines.

Also on tap is a vote to award a $25 million contract for reconstruction of the I-40 bridges over the South Canadian River
    near the border between Canadian and Caddo counties.

Other projects due consideration include installation of 14 miles of cable barrier on US-69 in McIntosh County and reconstructing and widening more than 2 miles of US-77 in Slaughterville in Cleveland County.

Commissioners may also go into executive session to discuss the salary of ODOT Executive Director Mike Patterson.

The commission meets at 11 a.m. Monday in the R.A. Ward Transportation Building west of the Capitol building.

Blog Entries

Is this an old article? Isn't this complete?

There's no SPUI on Lindsey, it's on main

The biggest contract ever? ODOT's biggest contract ever is $80 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The biggest contract ever? ODOT's biggest contract ever is $80 million?
    I'm sure what that means is that it's largest single contract, not the most expensive project. Most of their projects are broken up into a number of contracts.

Interesting piece on Sixty Minutes. Not just for highway funding, but ports, rail and air.

Falling apart: America's neglected infrastructure - CBS News

I was digging around on ODOT website and found page 19 of 26 of http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...hwayUpdate.pdf interesting. 4599 miles of 2 lane highway with unpaved shoulder. A lot of these have a 65 MPH speed limit...not very safe when there is no shoulder. I sure wish this would become a priority.
    Last edited by macfoucin; 12-09-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: changed page 5 to 19

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Interesting piece on Sixty Minutes. Not just for highway funding, but ports, rail and air.

Falling apart: America's neglected infrastructure - CBS News
    I saw that when it was on a few weeks ago. Anyone who thinks we can keep doing what we have been doing for the last 60 years either isn't paying attention or has a financial stake in its continuance. Our interstate highway system is the living embodiment of the Progress Trap. The problem with people like Ray LaHood is that they are trying to find ways to fix it when the real answer lies in finding a way to live without it because this is just in - we don't have the money and we are never going to have the money. They need to come up with Plan B because Plan A is dead in the water.

Thread Information