Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: State Fairgrounds

Default Re: State Fairgrounds

I seen the new Expo building for the first time when I went to the fair a couple of weeks ago. Looked like they have most of the steel frame up...that building is HUGE! I know Atlas is the GC, but does anyone know who the building manufacturer is?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    And the underground utilities, digging footings, building reinforcements, etc. is really time consuming. Once the above ground work starts things usually pick up pace.
    Atlas General Contactors are on the above ground stage with the Oklahoma City Exposition Center at Fair Park.

The $38.6 million Expo Center is expected to be completed by June 2, 2016.

Quick facts:
    Project budget: $59 million
    Construction: Projected completion in 2016.
    Expo Center size: 277,000 square feet
    Expo Center location: Former site of Travel & Transportation Building, State Fair Park.

https://www.okc.gov/maps3/projects/fairgrounds.html

As you can see in this picture, the new building dwarfs the others. It is larger than every other building shown combined.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fairground Expo Center.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	11667

The expo center opening has been delayed. No extra expenses are involved, however.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/546...o_redirect=yes

A defective paint job on structural steel will delay completion of the massive MAPS 3 expo center, keeping it from opening as planned before the 2016 Oklahoma State Fair.

Nelon said the steel supplier was “doing the remediation on its own dime” and there would be no impact on the MAPS 3 budget.

Scott Munz, the state fair's spokesman, said officials decided against having any exhibits in the building for the 2016 fair because of uncertainty over the construction schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The expo center opening has been delayed. No extra expenses are involved, however.

Well not on fixing the issue, but delays can cause extra expenses in other places and could lower revenue from any events that could have utilized the space.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

Once again, OKC/OK has problems with a large construction project that should never have happened. Why does this keep happening to all kinds of large projects here? Why can't the city/state/gov't figure out how the private companies do this kind of thing without problems? Yes, I know the problem was with the supplier, but the city should've sent somebody to inspect the paint jobs, or otherwise vetted the company to make sure they knew how to do it properly....

Not sure if it says in the article (I don't have a subscription, never will) but the building manufacturer is USA (United Structures of America) Inc. USA - Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings

9. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

The thing that bothers me is that they saw the problem and went ahead and put the structure up anyway. I wonder if that decision was made before or after the thing got damaged in the march storms. If it was before, then there's even less of an excuse, but if it was after, I can see how the city would pressure them to get back on schedule. But we don't want to end up with yet another building that the fairgrounds that turns out to be a pile. The whole point of the thing was to replace all those crappy buildings (like they did with all the barns).

Now, if they would just put some effort into the pothole ridden streets there. OMG!!!! I took my kids to the train show a few weeks back. The lot next to the Cox Pavilion was insane. You needed a 4x4 just to get through the lot. Then trying to get over to one of the other lots (or even grass) was just as bad. Not to mention the complete lack of lines painted on the roads too. Some people get REALLY confused in the circle around the space needle.

Sept. 3rd is the new completion date.

Signage being put out to bid and rather than "Expo", the building's official name will be Fairgrounds Event Center.

200,000 SF of space in just the main hall, 280,00 SF overall. Also, they added over 2,000 paved parking spaces.

Blog Entries

Should have just called it Fairgrounds Convention Center :-P

And built a hotel next to it.

The way the parking has been configured it should change the layout of the actual fair a bit.. looking good.

I was at an event at the fairgrounds last week and this building is *huge*.

Looks much bigger in person than the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was at an event at the fairgrounds last week and this building is *huge*.

Looks much bigger in person than the photos.
    And as big as it is it's still half the size as the building at the Tulsa fairgrounds.

15. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

While setting up for the Auto Show we went over and looked at the new building. We were told that it's going slower than we knew. They said the Auto Show next March might be the first event in the new building. I don't look forward to being the "guinea pig" if that happens.

We're already going to be pretty much that in Tulsa next month because they redid the electrical system in the building there.

Blog Entries

How will this building differ in regards to types of shows and events vs. the downtown convention center. And will they be similar sizes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    How will this building differ in regards to types of shows and events vs. the downtown convention center. And will they be similar sizes?
    Fairgrounds is equipped with surface parking (trailers etc.,) for those shows mostly related to the horse industry, more of a fairgrounds exhibition hall.

As for the sizes; The Fairgrounds Expo Center will have a main hall 210,000 square feet of exhibition space with can be size adjusted to fit a particular event experience.

The downtown convention center (size spec., TBD) will provide an upgrade to our current Cox Convention Center which has a main 100,000 sq. ft exhibition hall and several smaller meeting areas that will range in size. So you could see something in the 150,000 plus main hall range along with various smaller exhibition halls within the complex.

Please feel free to add or correct what has been mentioned above.

19. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Id like to see the parking lot between the new expo center and the cox pavaillion be repaved. its got hole large enough to be states!

And as big as the cox pavillion is, it's crazy how much the expo center dwarfs it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Id like to see the parking lot between the new expo center and the cox pavaillion be repaved. its got hole large enough to be states!
    There was a big paving contract just awarded for this area -- I believe it is the one you mentioned.

21. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

And as big as the cox pavillion is, it's crazy how much the expo center dwarfs it!!!!!
    I always thought the Cox pavilion was big. Then we started going to Tulsa to do the Auto Show there. In OKC the show has always been spread between the Cox, Centennial, Travel & Transportation and Made In Oklahoma buildings. In the Tulsa Expo Center everything is in one building and they have more car lines in the show than we do. With the new building we hear that at least all the new cars will be in the new building. The old cars and the other things might still be in the Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I always thought the Cox pavilion was big. Then we started going to Tulsa to do the Auto Show there. In OKC the show has always been spread between the Cox, Centennial, Travel & Transportation and Made In Oklahoma buildings. In the Tulsa Expo Center everything is in one building and they have more car lines in the show than we do. With the new building we hear that at least all the new cars will be in the new building. The old cars and the other things might still be in the Cox.
    Yeah I mentioned earlier that the Tulsa building is huge. Not sure how many people realize just how big it is.

23. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Yeah I mentioned earlier that the Tulsa building is huge. Not sure how many people realize just how big it is.
    Not many do. I had been to the Chili Bowl a few times and it's so crammed you don't realize how big it is. When I first walked into it empty I was floored.

The State Fair Park is very poorly managed. They are not doing anything to plan or attract new events. They just keep hosting the State Fair, horse, car and gun shows. Imagine if they did something creative and leveraged their location to host a national food truck event. Nah ... that would require to much work ...

25. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Actually it would require a HUGE amount of work. Look what goes into the relatively small food truck events we have today. The health department and the city both make it pretty difficult to do things like that. The next thing you have to do is figure out where to put it on the fairgrounds while not taking up all the parking. Then what are you going to do while you're there? Need some entertainment? Oh wait...that's the fair. LOL

But at least you gave an idea. So many people complain and never give an idea so while i dont think this one would work out, at least you're trying to be part of the solution you're seeking.

For me, i'd like to see the type of shows expanded. There used to be video game shows (i remember going to a Nintendo Power show when i was a kid....i think in Travel and Transporation). The train show is a major hit with my kids (and a million others). I think we used to do some indoor winter fairs didn't we? How about a GOOD ComicCon type thing? Tulsa Expo i think has them every few years...or at lest used to. I definitely agree the the the same ole fishing, home & garden, horse, RV, Car, Craft, shows that flow through almost feel like a repeating pattern without change.

Thread Information