Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch'd Modern Design

Auto Alley Perch'd Modern Design

Steve Mason has a new tenant on 9th. Perch'd modern Design should be open by Friday next to S&B's Burger Joint and across from the The Womb and Iguana on 9th Street.

I did a search for "shipping containers" but did not see a response as to this project although there has been a great deal of talk about shipping containers on OKC Talk and OKC Central. Either way, as far as I know, this is the first bona fide project using one in recent memory near downtown as a store.

I am sending the pictures I took this morning to Pete. I didn't see an address for the record posted on the building itself as of yet.

Default Re: Perch'd Modern Design Store in Shipping Container on 9th

The proprietor is apparently the former sales manager for Dwell Magazine.

https://www.facebook.com/perchdmodern

Great addition to an already interesting street. Any permit issues with the city to use a shipping container like that?

Trying to think where this. Just west of S&B?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Trying to think where this. Just west of S&B?
    just east of the S&B parking lot .. facing west ..

Here are the photos from Urban Pioneer:

Default Re: Perch'd Modern Design

Thanks for the pics UP!

This along with the new flex office space on NW 13th are starting to show the shipping crate craze popping up on the local scene

I know shipping containers are somewhat standardized in size and research says that they tend to be about 8 feet wide, 8 feet tall and 20 or 40 feet long (this one appears to be a 40).

Yep - that is a 40ft container. There are some "hi-cube" containers that are 8'6" tall. Domestic containers can be as long as 53 ft. The international containers are either 20 or 40 feet in length.

Yes, how about modifying the Better Block and pop-up shops model to make some of these semi-permanent in the huge amount of empty space in Midtown??

Could be the retail equivalent of food trucks, although not quite as mobile.

You could take one of those empty lots and/or parking lots and put in some temporary restrooms and some benches and tables, set up these semi-finished containers and invite some food trucks as well.

One of the great things about containers is that they are easy to lockup very securely. Way better than tents, canopies, etc. Plus, more protection from the elements if needed.

Now hold on guys. A few would be cool, but we don't want metal buildings taking over downtown just because it's the new fad.

I'm just worried that if we started to gain a lot of these in lieu of constructing actual buildings... it might start to look a little cheap

Lot of interesting things happening with containers in recent years, including housing, both dorms and residential. Not too much locally beyond storage thus far. Could get interesting though..

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Gotcha. I'd share your concern if the program wasn't managed as a temporary thing. Which is why I'd want to see someone like Shopcrawlr, who would be financially invested, to be a part of it.
    That would be pretty cool. Don't want anyone to mistake me for knocking this project!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm just worried that if we started to gain a lot of these in lieu of constructing actual buildings... it might start to look a little cheap
    But it could be cleared up in about 24 hrs if need be. Crane and flatbeds and the issue would be settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    But it could be cleared up in about 24 hrs if need be. Crane and flatbeds and the issue would be settled.
    Kind of like Stage Center.

Lol. j/k. I like Stage Center.

I was over there today... and at first I thought it was a trash dump. I am very open minded and love creative things, and I'm sure it will do well... but it doesn't look good IMHO. It looks cheap and trashy. This is probably enhanced because the surrounding area is a bunch of gravel and dirt instead of a paved lot. Why have the lots in this area not been paved and landscaped yet? Again, I hope it works, but I first impressions wasn't good.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I was over there today... and at first I thought it was a trash dump. I am very open minded and love creative things, and I'm sure it will do well... but it doesn't look good IMHO. It looks cheap and trashy. This is probably enhanced because the surrounding area is a bunch of gravel and dirt instead of a paved lot. Why have the lots in this area not been paved and landscaped yet? Again, I hope it works, but I first impressions wasn't good.
    I drove by yesterday and thought the same thing. Why don't they do something about the parking lots? I thought I liked the idea of this place, but the trailer looks cheaper and trashier than I was expecting.

I believe the reason why the parking lot in front of S&B's is gravel is due to parking issues. If they paved and striped their lot then they would have been required to have more space for parking. With a gravel lot, you are not required to make it fit a certain amount of cars. I don't know about the dirt parking lot on the other side.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    I believe the reason why the parking lot in front of S&B's is gravel is due to parking issues. If they paved and striped their lot then they would have been required to have more space for parking. With a gravel lot, you are not required to make it fit a certain amount of cars. I don't know about the dirt parking lot on the other side.
    Interesting. Thanks for the response.

23. Default Re: Perch'd Modern Design

Actually the lot in front of S&B is paved now. I think they must've received a temporary variance on the gravel lot when they opened, but I believe these days code calls for all accessory lots like that to be paved, which they did several months ago. The lot NEXT to S&B is still gravel, but no permanent improvements have been made on that property at all.

I'm not sure if I'd like to see a lot of this either, but it would be a great way to "beta" test retail in some areas. Owners just sitting on land could do this to see how a dense development of retailers would perform in a given location before going "all in" on new construction.

Urbanized - thanks for the update. When I was last down at S&B, when they first opened up, it was still a gravel lot.

Thread Information