Official Website
    Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon

Information & Latest News

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilroys1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	4849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilroys.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	4848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilroys2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	4850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilroysa.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	4851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	null_zps2bc2668b.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	4852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	null_zps3efb538c.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	4853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	null_zps3f8b3611.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	4854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	5641  

2. Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

That's cool. I've been to The Parish several times directly across the street.

3. Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

Who are the proprietors?

Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

They should leave the Plaza Mom's mural-proposal up there, unless she isn't cool with that.

5. Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

I love that spot. I always thought it would make a cool little bar called Coin Laundry. It's the way it's written that attracts me.

Not crazed about the name. Hopefully they can make decent pizza.

7. Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

I wonder if it has anything to do with this: Kilroy was here - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Default Re: Kilroy's (old Coin Laundry)

Maybe the operators are really big Styx fans?

It's very interesting that even with lots and lots of new places in central OKC, very few can be characterized as bars.

Almost all devote most their space to food service with a small bar area.

I'd really like to see more bars with limited food service versus yet another pizza or burger place that has some beers on tap.

HangryHippo Guest

I agree wholeheartedly, Pete. OKC could stand to have a few more upscale bars, as opposed to the metal sheds in the middle of gravel parking lots. Something like the Barrelhouse flat in Chicago if you've been to that.

McNellie's has been a smash success and it appears Grandad's is doing very well...

Why can't we have more of these places?

The areas that are most attractive from a profitability standpoint to start a business in are not zoned for owners to open "just a bar". Most of the zoning requires that owners try and sell 50% food-50% booze. Oklahoma's unfortunate liquor laws make it difficult for people to open a place that even serves liquor within 100 yards (hell, maybe it's feet?) of a school, church, etc. I definitely think that OKC needs more bar-bars. I have a feeling things will only continue to grow...

PS. McNellie's serves food. Lots.

HangryHippo Guest

I really wish some of the cooler concepts coming out of Tulsa would make their way to OKC. I know there's been rumors from time to time, but Tulsa has a lot of very cool bars that could set up the same, or at the least similar, concepts here in OKC and do very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by THATgirl View Post
    The areas that are most attractive from a profitability standpoint to start a business in are not zoned for owners to open "just a bar". Most of the zoning requires that owners try and sell 50% food-50% booze. Oklahoma's unfortunate liquor laws make it difficult for people to open a place that even serves liquor within 100 yards (hell, maybe it's feet?) of a school, church, etc. I definitely think that OKC needs more bar-bars. I have a feeling things will only continue to grow...

PS. McNellie's serves food. Lots.
    Yet Tulsa seems to have more bars and more bar districts, something OKC distinctly lacks outside of Bricktown.

And while I realize McNellies serves lots of food, it is unquestionably a bar first as opposed to a restaurant first. I would like to see more places in OKC with that sort of shifted balance, as we've added dozens and dozens of restaurants in just the last year or two and precious few bars.

The lack of bar districts compared to Tulsa has something to do with lack of density and walkability. No one wants to do a "Skip Kelly".

If you replaced a fraction of all the new restaurants built in the last few years in Midtown, Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, Film Row or the Plaza District, any of them would have a pretty good massing of bars.

Just for some insight, Plaza District ABC III zoning does not allow bars or clubs that do not serve food. The zoning was changed early on in revitalization efforts to limit any more bars from moving in. At that time, the sort of bars and clubs in the neighborhood were not having a positive impact. It is still possible for an operator to receive a SPUD for special zoning to allow it, but it would require approval from a majority surrounding the address. We've had a circumstance were an operator was interested in applying for a SPUD, but did not pursue it because it was discovered that with ABC III license, they would need to install a sprinkler system. This added another 30K or so to the renovation.

^

Thanks so much for that insight. Very interesting.

Is the requirement just that they serve food or is there a percentage of food to alcohol sales that must be maintained?

And it reminds me that Grandad's had to go through an incredible amount of time, effort and money to get a sprinkler system installed in their space on 23rd.

Not that I'm opposed to fire suppression, but it seems odd that businesses without kitchens (you know, where fires start) have stricter requirments than businesses with kitchens. I'm sure the thinking is bars are more crowded, but couldn't that be resolved with maximum occupancy limits, or limiting the percentage of square footage that is open floor (and require the rest to be seating)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Thanks so much for that insight. Very interesting.

Is the requirement just that they serve food or is there a percentage of food to alcohol sales that must be maintained?

And it reminds me that Grandad's had to go through an incredible amount of time, effort and money to get a sprinkler system installed in their space on 23rd.
    You know, I've always been told the 50% rule is applied, but I'm not seeing it stated in the code. Perhaps it's a county requirement, or buried deeper in code than I can find.

Code:
    13200.4. ABC-2 Alcoholic Beverage Consumption, Restaurant-With-Alcohol District.

A.General Description. This overlay district allows for the serving of all types of beer and alcohol in a restaurant setting. The overlay district provides for uses in such a way that compatibility with adjacent uses is enhanced.

B.Underlying Districts over which ABC-2 May Be Requested. The following zoning districts may be overlain by the ABC-2 Overlay District:

(1)The O-2 District, subsequent to the approval of the conditional use permit for an eating establishment.

(2)All commercial zoning districts.

(3)All industrial zoning districts.

(4)Any portion of a PUD specifically allowing for a restaurant use.

(5)Tracts 4G and 5 of the NC District.

C.Use Regulations. In addition to the uses allowed by the underlying zoning district, Eating Establishments: Sitdown, Alcohol Permitted (59-8300.38) shall be permitted in the ABC-2 Overlay District.

D.Development Regulations.

(1)General Provisions. The provisions of Section 13200.2 (General Provisions) shall apply to the ABC-2 Overlay District.

(2)Hours of Operation. The sale and consumption of alcohol is permitted at establishments in this district between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I really wish some of the cooler concepts coming out of Tulsa would make their way to OKC. I know there's been rumors from time to time, but Tulsa has a lot of very cool bars that could set up the same, or at the least similar, concepts here in OKC and do very, very well.
    No doubt. Tulsa seems to get the non-dive bar concept a little better. They also get the restaurant and bar concept better as well. Okc places seem to be all dive bar or mostly all restaurant. We have lacked places that know how to weave restaurant and bar into a cool place.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC plaza View Post
    Just for some insight, Plaza District ABC III zoning does not allow bars or clubs that do not serve food. The zoning was changed early on in revitalization efforts to limit any more bars from moving in. At that time, the sort of bars and clubs in the neighborhood were not having a positive impact. It is still possible for an operator to receive a SPUD for special zoning to allow it, but it would require approval from a majority surrounding the address. We've had a circumstance were an operator was interested in applying for a SPUD, but did not pursue it because it was discovered that with ABC III license, they would need to install a sprinkler system. This added another 30K or so to the renovation.
    Correcting myself here, we have ABC 2 zoning

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No doubt. Tulsa seems to get the non-dive bar concept a little better. They also get the restaurant and bar concept better as well. Okc places seem to be all dive bar or mostly all restaurant. We have lacked places that know how to weave restaurant and bar into a cool place.
    Which Tulsa bars do you like and what about them would you like to see in OKC? From Tulsa. Went there recently and visited a few new spots. Interested in your take on it.

Cool! This looks quite promising. I'll be happy to have a (hopefuly) high quality pizza place down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    Cool! This looks quite promising. I'll be happy to have a (hopefuly) high quality pizza place down the street.
    Any chance we'll see your breakfast concept resurface elsewhere??

Thread Information