Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

Default Re: Empire Slice House

Im not sure who follows Barstool Sports, but the president of the company does Pizza Reviews daily and its a pretty big deal online. He is based out of NYC, but came to OKC because he is big in to horse racing. He went to Empire for a review and gave it a pretty high score and he is very tough on Pizza Places.

So it Jives with what your Cousins Husband saying.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Quick, great story on Empire: My family from Long Island was in town for the Holidays the day after Christmas through January 2nd. They usually stay with my cousin in Edmond and had their usual places they go: Johnnies, Poblano, Hideaway, some of their favorites to eat at while they are in town. On the night of the OU-Bama game, my cousin wanted to pick up pizza and offered Sussy's or Nomad's, both of which have closed. I live in Crestwood and brought up Empire, but they said getting my other cousin who has a broken foot down and around the plaza district would be too difficult, so I offered to pick it up. My cousin's husband was born and raised in the Bronx, so the guy knows pizza, to say the least. He said Empire was the best pizza he has had in Oklahoma and in NYC would be well above average.
    Self-proclaimed pizza snob from NJ/NYC here. Concur. It's a bit doughier than most NYC pizza (especially the crust), though I happen to like that. It really ranks high up there for me, and other than some of the most obscure toppings is pretty close to NYC pizza.

Barstool gave it like a 6-7 didn't they? I think they grabbed a pie that's more undercooked than the others. From what I've read though empire is known for undercooking pizza? I have yet to have one as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Barstool gave it like a 6-7 didn't they? I think they grabbed a pie that's more undercooked than the others. From what I've read though empire is known for undercooking pizza? I have yet to have one as such.
    I believe it was a 7.6

Anything above 7.5 is considered really good. Most Pizza is typically in the 6.0s

Getting above a 8.0 is rare and anything above a 9.0 is basically unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post

Also, I always ask for “extra crispy” from Empire because it is a little undercooked, but its made that way purposefuly and pretty good that way in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Also, I always ask for “extra crispy” from Empire because it is a little undercooked, but its made that way purposefuly and pretty good that way in its own right.
    Thanks, now I know the secret, had it twice and thought it was just OK, but we like crispier pizza in general, have to order it that way next time (I guess they can make slices "extra crispy" too, hope so anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Thanks for the tip =)

I thought maybe this was the reason this thread was bumped. But since no one has mentioned it, I think they are still looking for leads on who/where the pink elephant has been taken to.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I thought maybe this was the reason this thread was bumped. But since no one has mentioned it, I think they are still looking for leads on who/where the pink elephant has been taken to.
    After it was stolen the first time (not sure how many times this incident makes), why didn't they put a GPS tracker inside it or secure it with something massive, rivet to the concrete, etc. To be fair, I have no idea how it was currently secured, so maybe they did do something and a smarter mouse figured out their trap and got away with it.

11. Default Re: Empire Slice House

Somewhere it was mentioned that city ordinance prohibited them from securing it to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jackirons View Post
    I don't have any idea who those people are but I really want to punch them in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I don't have any idea who those people are but I really want to punch them in the face.
    Barstool is pretty douchey.

Let me remind everyone about the downsides of 1) having an awesome place like Empire and 2) living within walking distance. It is just too damn easy to go out for beer and pepperoni pizza at 11 PM, and I am way too old for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    Barstool definitely is not for everybody. Extremely douchey and inappropriate. I really can’t stand them outside of Pizza reviews, but I’m a giant sucker for Pizza and its by far the most robust Pizza media in the world lol.

Saw on LocalitesOKC Insta that Empire is opening a location next to Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa!

They will kill it there, it's a cool area with Prairie and the other bars/restaurants in proximity to Cain's, which has shows almost daily.

Empire is taking over the old Slapfish space in Nichols Hills Plaza.

Will be counter service and will be called "Empire Slice Shop" vs. "Empire Slice House".

They are closing Easy E in the Plaza.

They will do well there, no doubts. A local, VERY well-known brand in a prime location.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Will be counter service and will be called "Empire Slice Shop" vs. "Empire Slice House".

Good location for them. Love their pizza, glad they are embracing the north quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

wow really surprising Easy E is closing

at one time all of their to go business was run out of that shop

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    wow really surprising Easy E is closing

at one time all of their to go business was run out of that shop
    When they moved into the new location, they greatly expanded their oven capacity.

Makes sense. And I'm sure with Covid they've figured out how to optimize their to go/carry out slice business in the new space. Probably no need for both. I'm excited for some more options - someone could do something really cool with the slice shop space and especially the covered patio.

24. Default Re: Empire Slice House

News 9 ran this story and clearly cited OKCTalk as the source (brfore likely doing some of their own diligence).

this is how media should run....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Saw the sign is up in the Nichols Hills plaza location.

Thread Information