Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Has anyone contacted the owner? Maybe he doesn't even know this is going on. . . if the staff walked out, I'm sure he knows that, but being denied food when they clearly have a 2am closing posted?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    So, Empire's posted hours are until 2am but they turn customers away at midnight?

I haven't even tried the pizza yet and its already leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
    The group was already at the door before I arrived, but as I understand it, they didn't deny us entry, they just didn't have any food, so we opted to try everywhere else.

It was funny to see a group of people wandering around the plaza looking for food. I think 2 more successful pub type places in that area would open up the ability to serve food until 1 on a regular basis. Is the Guatemalan restaurant going to be ABC-2?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Keep in mind I had about 2 liters of margarita from the OKCTalk party, and about 4 f5's from another party, and two beers at empire. So maybe I misunderstood what she said, but I'm pretty sure that's how she put it.
    Haha! (since the like button is outta commission on this thread)

Perfect remedy for a hangover: Vitamins B1, B6, B12 & 2 Advil.

That was so bizarre... We did call ahead as we were at Skinny Slims and they assured us they were open until 2 (no mention of food problems).

When we arrived, we were told "we are out of pizza". Of course, that doesn't make any sense and then one of the wait staff said some of the other staff staged a mass walk out.

However, really, really cool place that was pretty hopping after midnight on a Thursday with no food. Hope to get by there again before I leave town but they are making me earn my slice!

This looks really cool:

I went there the other night and it was great! Really enjoyed it this time around.

I drove by this morning and there was a tent taking up the entire patio area. I assume this is for the carnival and only temporary.

8. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Finally ate there yesterday afternoon for lunch with a party of 6.

Got there right about 12:15pm and the place was maybe half full and never got any fuller.

Really like the vibe..... sorta S&B's meets Edna's (but with pizza) but overall felt very 'Austin-ish' and we all liked it.

The waitress was training a new hire waitress and both were very nice and unique in their own way - thumbs up again.

Found a booth in the back corner and ordered up some appetizers - some drunken mushrooms and the garlic knots.

Both were fine - nothing exceptional and probably wouldn't order again. The knots could have been more garlicy and the sauce was pretty bland. The mushrooms tasted fine, but the texture will not be to some people's liking - had the texture of a wet filmy oyster on a limp mushroom. Halfof us liked them and half did not.

We all did pizza by the slice.

Orders were taken quickly and the food arrived timely.

I had the Rocksteady and some special of the day.

Both were big slices, thin crust and gooey hot.

Flavor was really good, though I really couldn't distinguish the flavors of the ingredients.

I like this type of pizza - not crunchy and easily folded and eaten.

My biggest gripe actually wasn't the pizza or appetizers - it was the fact they brought my soda pop out in a can. Was told refills were not free.

I really don't like this policy in this day and age.

Six of us ate for $60.

All-in-all we all really liked the place and will most likely be back.

Finally ate there yesterday afternoon for lunch with a party of 6.

Got there right about 12:15pm and the place was maybe half full and never got any fuller.

Really like the vibe..... sorta S&B's meets Edna's (but with pizza) but overall felt very 'Austin-ish' and we all liked it.

The waitress was training a new hire waitress and both were very nice and unique in their own way - thumbs up again.

Found a booth in the back corner and ordered up some appetizers - some drunken mushrooms and the garlic knots.

Both were fine - nothing exceptional and probably wouldn't order again. The knots could have been more garlicy and the sauce was pretty bland. The mushrooms tasted fine, but the texture will not be to some people's liking - had the texture of a wet filmy oyster on a limp mushroom. Halfof us liked them and half did not.

We all did pizza by the slice.

Orders were taken quickly and the food arrived timely.

I had the Rocksteady and some special of the day.

Both were big slices, thin crust and gooey hot.

Flavor was really good, though I really couldn't distinguish the flavors of the ingredients.

I like this type of pizza - not crunchy and easily folded and eaten.

Six of us ate for $60.

All-in-all we all really liked the place and will definitely be back.
    Glad to hear that the service has vastly improved. That was the only problem I and several others had with the place.

10. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Glad to hear that the service has vastly improved. That was the only problem I and several others had with the place.
    But, they also were not busy. No idea if things grind to a halt when they get packed.

Also, I added one gripe since your comment - serving soda pop in the can and not giving free refills.....

Get a soda fountain and offer free refills!!!!!!!

But, they also were not busy. No idea if things grind to a halt when they get packed.

Also, I added one gripe since your comment - serving soda pop in the car and not giving free refills.....

Get a soda fountain and offer free refills!!!!!!!
    They don't do that in NYC! Dude, a slice there is $3.50. Price is not something to whine about. At least we finally have a decent facsimile of a NY slice!

12. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    They don't do that in NYC! Dude, a slice there is $3.50. Price is not something to whine about. At least we finally have a decent facsimile of a NY slice!
    I go to NYC on a pretty regular basis (up to 5 times a year) and often eat pizza and in most instances the soda is from a fountain.

Also, who gives a flip what they do in NYC? I wouldn't compare their pizza to NYC pizza to begin with.

Only offering soda in a can in OKC is gripe worthy in my book and is why you almost never see it served that way.

13. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

I've never been to NYC but I still think Papa Angelo's is slightly better than Empire..... I do enjoy both places.

14. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

I've been there maybe a half-dozen times now, and I've never had bad service. But then again, I almost always have sat at the bar. Regarding the knots, I have experienced some inconsistency with them. A few times they have been good but nothing to write home about, and a couple of times they have been by far the best part of the meal. As in super, super tasty. Probably just inconsistency based on who is in the kitchen (which I hope they sort out), but I wouldn't give up on them so soon.

Also, who gives a flip what they do in NYC? I wouldn't compare their pizza to NYC pizza to begin with.
    Why not? lol The place is called "Empire". Their owners claim that NYC style is what their aiming for. I think comparing the two would only be expected considering such promotions.

I go to NYC on a pretty regular basis (up to 5 times a year) and often eat pizza and in most instances the soda is from a fountain.

Only offering soda in a can in OKC is gripe worthy in my book and is why you almost never see it served that way.
    And you get unlimited soda refills from a fountain? At a slice joint in NYC?

LOL. Right, dude.

And yes, the point is that you're begging for free soda when the place is already cheap. Is 12 oz. of soda not enough? You could always splurge and buy another can.

17. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Why not? lol The place is called "Empire". Their owners claim that NYC style is what their aiming for. I think comparing the two would only be expected considering such promotions.
    Fair enough, but I guess I should compare the plethora of 'Mexican' restaurants in this town to actual authentic Mexican food too - I mean they do have "Mexican" in their name/marketing.

18. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

LOL. Right, dude.

And yes, the point is that you're begging for free soda when the place is already cheap. Is 12 oz. of soda not enough? You could always splurge and buy another can.
    I have no idea if they're 'unlimited' but yes, a great many of the slice places I have been to provide a fountain drink and I almost always get at least one refill and have never been charged.

Your "Lol Right, dude" and "begging for free soda" is so childish. You have on idea what places I've patronized, I've been to NYC far to many times to count and exactly where was I begging?

The norm in this city is fountain drink with refills - yet you can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact a patron might actually consider that an expectation based on that norm. Not to mention the fact the customer is not told this on the menu and they most likely charged $1.25-$2 for a .$27 can that would have only been $.10 from a fountain.

I get it, its not an issue with you, move along.

LOL. Right, dude.

Yeah. I'm from NYC and pizza places are notorious for making you buy cans/bottles and not a fountain drink. Never seen that at a pizza place specifically, though perhaps it exists somewhere. I just haven't seen it. Most of the places I'd get pizza from are in-and-out type places though, so maybe that's the difference.

And not all pizza in NYC is necessarily $3.50. Sure it isn't the best, but you can some pretty good street pizza for $1.00-$1.50 slice. It's disgusting and delicious, LOL.

1.) We're not NYC
    2.) We've had a place that is just as good if not better than many places in NYC, it's called Papa Angelo's in Bethany. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I drove by this morning and there was a tent taking up the entire patio area. I assume this is for the carnival and only temporary.
    So if you check out Vanity Perkins's instagram, that tent appears to be where a bunch of Thunder players celebrated Nick Collison's birthday party. ("I Love you wall" can be seen in Serge&GF's photo)

Instaregret for not going, I was in Norman for the game!!!

Nick Collison's Halloween Birthday Party - Imgur
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    1.) We're not NYC
    2.) We've had a place that is just as good if not better than many places in NYC, it's called Papa Angelo's in Bethany. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
    No way! Really? Wow!

I tried Papa Angelo's once and it sucked. I'll give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew3077 View Post
    So if you check out Vanity Perkins's instagram, that tent appears to be where a bunch of Thunder players celebrated Nick Collison's birthday party. ("I Love you wall" can be seen in Serge&GF's photo)

Instaregret for not going, I was in Norman for the game!!!

Nick Collison's Halloween Birthday Party - Imgur
    Instagram
    Wow, great eye!

Empire certainly seems like the place all the sudden. Guess I'll have to go back when they actually are serving pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow, great eye!

Empire certainly seems like the place all the sudden. Guess I'll have to go back when they actually are serving pizza.
    I was there! It was great seeing the team having a good time.

25. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Also good to see them continue to filter into less-obvious areas of the city and living more like locals than visitors. Which means they will expose others (other athletes, sports writers, celebrities, etc) to some of the hidden gems we offer, and help improve our rep. Six years will do that, I suppose.

Thread Information