Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Yes it is.

OK then. I must check it out. That would send a slice of pizza into orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I was not satisfied at all with this place.

The food was great, and the waiter that served us was excellent. She was very nice and very interactive(if that makes any sense). It just took too dang long to get 2 slices of pizza. I also wish they would take down that black iron fence; it just makes me feel trapped. It would be nicer if there was a barrier of plants or something maybe with a 2-3 foot wall. They could use a cable to tie down the chairs and tables, if that is a concern; they were actually very nice quality chairs.

That said, this place has major potential and I would to make this a regular place to go hang out. Right now, I'm deciding if I want to move to a place around UCO in Edmond or I might possibly be looking at places in and around Midtown. This place would be awesome if it were improved.

I'm just hoping that overtime, with constructive criticism, the place will improve.
    You were not satisfied at all, but you loved the food and the server?

Color me perplexed.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post

Color me perplexed.
    Don't forget the "very nice quality chairs".

Color me perplexed.
    Yeah, 30 minutes for a slice of Pizza and then waiting 10 minutes for a can of Dr. Pepper after the waiter was coming out to bring me it and the manager just pulled her in like we didn't exist. Very rude. It wasn't the waiters fault, and when I asked why that happened, the manager told me we should just go somewhere else if we're going to complain.

Tonight was no better, I drove by with my cousin and they were blaring loud rap music and there were people outside cussing up a storm so everyone could hear it, just not classy at all. I really hope this place improves, as it could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Don't forget the "very nice quality chairs".
    I give credit where I think it is due, and the chairs were of very good quality. They have me on that. They're not just cheap tacky plastic chairs. That is one reason I can see them having that tall iron fence around it. However, it wouldn't take much for someone to hop it after they close and have 3 people, one throwing the chairs over the fence, once putting them in the truck, one sitting in the truck ready to get away. Now, I'm assuming they would put the chairs and tables inside at night, but I don't know.

I think this place could be great and has great potential, I just haven't like the vibe during my 3 recent visits, but I will continue trying.

Yeah, 30 minutes for a slice of Pizza and then waiting 10 minutes for a can of Dr. Pepper after the waiter was coming out to bring me it and the manager just pulled her in like we didn't exist. Very rude. It wasn't the waiters fault, and when I asked why that happened, the manager told me we should just go somewhere else if we're going to complain.

Tonight was no better, I drove by with my cousin and they were blaring loud rap music and there were people outside cussing up a storm so everyone could hear it, just not classy at all. I really hope this place improves, as it could be cool.
    Did you get the Manager's name?

No way would any business owner worth their salt will allow a manager to say "you should go somewhere else if you're going to complain". I understand you're younger and that sometimes people under 25 - 30 are not the preferred guests for employees in the restaurant industry, but in no way is it ever acceptable to say "you should go somewhere else if you're going to complain". If you can voice that incident to the owner, that would be awesome. Even if you can just tell them what day and time you were at the restaurant, the owner can probably figure that out.

Did you get the Manager's name?

No way would any business owner worth their salt will allow a manager to say "you should go somewhere else if you're going to complain". I understand you're younger and that sometimes people under 25 - 30 are not the preferred guests for employees in the restaurant industry, but in no way is it ever acceptable to say "you should go somewhere else if you're going to complain". If you can voice that incident to the owner, that would be awesome. Even if you can just tell them what day and time you were at the restaurant, the owner can probably figure that out.
    No, he said that and then immediately walked away and did something else like I wasn't even there, and I just kind of stood there. dumbfounded, questioning whether he really said that, and my cousin, just said lets get of here, so I did. It was unacceptable and next time I'm there, if I see him, hopefully I will be able to recognize him and get some information about him.

BTW, I don't remember the exact day that happened, but it was sometime in late August or very early September I believe.

So just to offer an alternate opinion, I've dined in at Empire several times and I really enjoyed the food. The garlic knots were tasty and the slices were perfect, along with that tasty pink sauce to dip the crust in! I didn't notice excellent service, but I haven't yet experienced anything horrible like what was said above. I might have just caught them during better times. The patio has been spectacular the past week with the great weather, and take out is slowly becoming my new replacement for midnight taco bell runs. It's awesome to have another option that stays open late that's not McD's, TBell, IHOP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew3077 View Post
    So just to offer an alternate opinion, I've dined in at Empire several times and I really enjoyed the food. The garlic knots were tasty and the slices were perfect, along with that tasty pink sauce to dip the crust in! I didn't notice excellent service, but I haven't yet experienced anything horrible like what was said above. I might have just caught them during better times. The patio has been spectacular the past week with the great weather, and take out is slowly becoming my new replacement for midnight taco bell runs. It's awesome to have another option that stays open late that's not McD's, TBell, IHOP, etc.
    Well, I really don't want to say it was horrible. See again, the slice of pizza I had, was a slice of pepperoni pizza; it very might as well have been the best slice of pizza I've ever had. The lady who helped us, was very nice and interactive. So let me break this down.

1. The atmosphere was great, except for the tall iron fence, but that's not really a big deal.

2.Our waiter was very nice!

3.The food took waaaaaaaaay to long to get out there, a little irritating, but that's okay, I was talking with my cousin and enjoying myself.

4.Then when I wanted another can of Dr. Pepper, our waitress went to go get it, and someone(who I thought to be a manager) called her name and said get in here I need you, as she was walking out. I thought that was kind of rude and odd.

5.The man who did that was indeed a manager(or claimed to be) and when I asked why he did that and why the food took so long, he you're just being negative and if all I was going to do was complain, I should go somewhere else that suits my needs better.

I just thought it was very unprofessional and rude. I am still very mixed about this place. I really, REALLY want to like it, and I will definitely give it a third chance(well to be fair, fourth, as tonight we just drove by it). Hopefully I just went on bad days, and was just really unlucky lol, because I want to say great things about it.

Well, I really don't want to say it was horrible. See again, the slice of pizza I had, was a slice of pepperoni pizza; it very might as well have been the best slice of pizza I've ever had. The lady who helped us, was very nice and interactive. So let me break this down.

1. The atmosphere was great, except for the tall iron fence, but that's not really a big deal.

2.Our waiter was very nice!

3.The food took waaaaaaaaay to long to get out there, a little irritating, but that's okay, I was talking with my cousin and enjoying myself.

4.Then when I wanted another can of Dr. Pepper, our waitress went to go get it, and someone(who I thought to be a manager) called her name and said get in here I need you, as she was walking out. I thought that was kind of rude and odd.

5.The man who did that was indeed a manager(or claimed to be) and when I asked why he did that and why the food took so long, he you're just being negative and if all I was going to do was complain, I should go somewhere else that suits my needs better.

I just thought it was very unprofessional and rude. I am still very mixed about this place. I really, REALLY want to like it, and I will definitely give it a third chance(well to be fair, fourth, as tonight we just drove by it). Hopefully I just went on bad days, and was just really unlucky lol, because I want to say great things about it.
    Was the server at your table when the manager called her in or on her way to the table? Because if it's the latter, I'm trying to picture how the conversation between you and the manager was even broached.

Also, in the future, when you're at a restaurant and you feel you need to talk to the manager, good or bad, it's good to make it conversational. So when either the manager approaches you (usually because you ask the server to send the manager over) or you approach the manager, the conversation goes something like:

Manager: "Hey guys, how are you doing tonight?"

You: "Hello sir/ma'am, my name is Plu Pan, and sorry, but I didn't catch your name."

Manager: "Oh, yes, I'm _____"

You: "Pleasure to meet you _____." and then "I noticed the food took x amount of time to come out tonight, and that seemed a little long given the amount of people dining"

Manager: "Oh...apology blah blah explanation blah blah blah what can we do for you?"

Was the server at your table when the manager called her in or on her way to the table? Because if it's the latter, I'm trying to picture how the conversation between you and the manager was even broached
    Ok, so I asked for another can of Dr. Pepper. . . she said she'd bring it right out. . . so she went in to get it, and in a few mins or so, she opened the door that leads to the patio and we were sitting on the opposite corner. . . right after she came out, she hadn't made it to our table yet, someone came out and told her come back and something else, I couldn't really make it out. . . so she went back in and did whatever it is she did. . . she eventually came back out ten minutes later and said she was sorry, her manager called her in to assist him.

some time later, as we were leaving, I noticed the same guy who called her, because when the door was open I could see him shouting her name(which I can't remember that either), and I said "excuse me, why did it take so long for our food to be served and why did you call the lady in when she was already halfway to our table? and then he said stop being negative and go somewhere else yada yada yada. . .

That makes sense?

Also, in the future, when you're at a restaurant and you feel you need to talk to the manager, good or bad, it's good to make it conversational. So when either the manager approaches you (usually because you ask the server to send the manager over) or you approach the manager, the conversation goes something like:

Manager: "Hey guys, how are you doing tonight?"

You: "Hello sir/ma'am, my name is Plu Pan, and sorry, but I didn't catch your name."

Manager: "Oh, yes, I'm _____"

You: "Pleasure to meet you _____." and then "I noticed the food took x amount of time to come out tonight, and that seemed a little long given the amount of people dining"

Manager: "Oh...apology blah blah explanation blah blah blah what can we do for you?"
    That is really good advice and I'll remember that next time. I don't why I didn't think of that though, I guess it will just come with experience.

Ok, so I asked for another can of Dr. Pepper. . . she said she'd bring it right out. . . so she went in to get it, and in a few mins or so, she opened the door that leads to the patio and we were sitting on the opposite corner. . . right after she came out, she hadn't made it to our table yet, someone came out and told her come back and something else, I couldn't really make it out. . . so she went back in and did whatever it is she did. . . she eventually came back out ten minutes later and said she was sorry, her manager called her in to assist him.

some time later, as we were leaving, I noticed the same guy who called her, because when the door was open I could see him shouting her name(which I can't remember that either), and I said "excuse me, why did it take so long for our food to be served and why did you call the lady in when she was already halfway to our table? and then he said stop being negative and go somewhere else yada yada yada. . .

That makes sense?
    It makes sense, but it makes me cringe

I can live with the question about why the food took a long time. That's totally common and a very natural question in the course of really any profession (I imagine the project managers and developers of aLoft had to ask that question of their now-defunct concrete contractor).

I can't understand asking the question of why the manager asked the server to come do something. It seems a bit to me like questioning a server as to why they went to "table x" before coming to my table, or questioning a banker as to why they answered their office phone while you were present.

I can't exactly pin point why it's a painfully weird question to ask a restaurant manager other than maybe the question gives off a sense that you're telling them how to do their job.

And believe me, based on how you conduct yourself on this forum, I don't doubt you had anything but the best intentions. But intentions don't communicate anything, and I just get the sense from everything you've said that the manager felt very attacked based on how you communicated your concerns. That certainly does not absolve him of the egregious action of saying "you should go somewhere else" and he absolutely should have taken the opportunity to talk through the issues with you. But I can see how he may have felt provoked.

That is really good advice and I'll remember that next time. I don't why I didn't think of that though, I guess it will just come with experience.
    No biggie at all. Education takes time and opportunity. I don't think anybody's life is going to be lost over dinner.

It makes sense, but it makes me cringe

I can live with the question about why the food took a long time. That's totally common and a very natural question in the course of really any profession (I imagine the project managers and developers of aLoft had to ask that question of their now-defunct concrete contractor).

I can't understand asking the question of why the manager asked the server to come do something. It seems a bit to me like questioning a server as to why they went to "table x" before coming to my table, or questioning a banker as to why they answered their office phone while you were present.

I can't exactly pin point why it's a painfully weird question to ask a restaurant manager other than maybe the question gives off a sense that you're telling them how to do their job.

And believe me, based on how you conduct yourself on this forum, I don't doubt you had anything but the best intentions. But intentions don't communicate anything, and I just get the sense from everything you've said that the manager felt very attacked based on how you communicated your concerns. That certainly does not absolve him of the egregious action of saying "you should go somewhere else" and he absolutely should have taken the opportunity to talk through the issues with you. But I can see how he may have felt provoked.
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't have any vendetta against the manager though. People are human and sometimes snap, make mistakes, etc... Now, if this has happened to multiple people, then yeah, something needs to be done about it. I don't think I had had a tone with him, but then again, who am I to criticize myself lol. . . so maybe he was in a pickle and just flustered and took it the wrong way.

Anyways, like I said, I am more than willing to go back and optimistic that everything will be good this time. I have no doubt the owner wants to make this a wonderful experience for everyone and I bet you, I'll be back on here in less than a week saying I had a great time.

No biggie at all. Education takes time and opportunity. I don't think anybody's life is going to be lost over dinner.
    True true true. . . I don't want to be one of "those" guys who get worked up on something minuscule and before I know it, I'll be hunched over my keyboard like Praedura and the stage center announcement writing, day 3,568, food supplies running low, and I still am not anywhere close to finding out the answer as to why the waiter went back inside!!!! or in Praedura's case, it would be along the lines of, day 4,593, food supplies running low, and still just 90 days away from it, I am beginning to think Steve is a wizard who keeps altering the time patterns lol

I'm just joking of course, with Praedura and Steve. I trust Steve and I might actually be more excited than Praedura about this new tower, I dunno lololol ;p

Went tonight and the service -- and pizza -- were exemplary. AND celebrity chef Danny Bowien was there with his entourage. The place is getting great!

How cool would it be if Danny put a restaurant at the Plaza?

Awesome!!

I wonder if it isn't time for this to be moved to the food thread.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    How cool would it be if Danny put a restaurant at the Plaza?
    I have heard the upholstery shop is looking for other digs and will soon sell his building. It would be a good spot for a Mission Chinese.

I went for dinner during the festival Saturday. I thought that it was exquisite with the outdoor seating (I didn't feel trapped by the gate, but that's preference), the heady flavor of the Fat Tony, and...well, the service was a tad slow, I think, but that didn't matter this evening. I'm thrilled to hear of their extended hours.

Mind, I experienced this after a couple of glasses of Choctaw Avenue merlot from across the street...

Went in last night around 11pm. Pizza great as always, my second slice took about 15 minutes (despite reminding the bartender twice about my wait (there were slices under the lamps...so not waiting for a new pie, just someone to grab a plate and slide the slice on to it)). The bartender brought me two slices to make up for the wait. They were also good.

I think the bartender was new, came from Vibe or something.

So if I go there at dinner time and want a slice or two to go, how long is that going to take? Is the pizza not ready to go immediately, they have to do a quick warm up in the oven like Falcones or does it take much longer than that?

To-go slice maybe 5 minutes....

From what I can tell, they don't put them in the oven after you order. They put the pie under warming lamps and pull the slices off and take them directly to your table.

Based strictly on what is posted:

The interior looks good but the exterior "curb appeal" seems lacking/bland (the rendering had more oomph with the contrasting roof line and the red door)...I like the EMPIRE sign (is it a refurbished or new)...but it doesn't give you much of a clue what type of business it is...

Was wondering about the size of the pizzas given the hefty price, but that pic of the whole pie on the 1st page looks like the value for the money is there! But for the price I would expect more than paper plates etc.

But it seems worth giving them a shot

Can someone please compare to Papa Angelos in Bethany.

Thread Information