Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

1. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Via Facebook

Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Open today at 4PM.

Otherwise:

Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 am
    Sun: 4:00 pm - 2:00 am

Love the late hours!
    WHAT!?!??! You mean they're open Sunday too? Truly uncharted territory in OKC! Can we say progress?

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    WHAT!?!??! You mean they're open Sunday too? Truly uncharted territory in OKC! Can we say progress?
    hardly uncharted

4. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    hardly uncharted
    Yeah, I agree. More of my favorite haunts are closed on Mondays than Sundays.

They have their menu up but no prices as of yet:

http://empireslicehouse.com/ESH_Menu.pdf

The names alone are worth a visit. Sounds yummy.

7. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

They are opening at 6pm now.

8. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

All that and a pink elephant. Gotta go.

10. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Power outage is delaying things... they are doing their best. No credit/debit cards.

11. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

12. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

13. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

So here's the story... I got there after work around 3pm and saw them put the sign out front but couldn't read it from my car. I checked Facebook and saw that they weren't quite ready and that it will open at 6pm. So instead of leaving, I was was hungry so I got a grilled cheese at The Mule and killed time. Around 4pm I came back and ran into the pastor at The Parish across the street and his family was there to eat pizza and saw the new time. We went back to The Parish because they are still renovating and trying to get funds to complete the coffee shop next door. I head over ten till to try and get a seat for him and nine other family members. A line started right after I got there and they came out telling us that the power is out on that whole side of the street, including the street lights. We waited in line and got to know each other. The second guy who got in line next to me turned out to be an OKCTalker and knew who I was. They couldn't take credit/debit cards so I had to go to the convenience store down the street to the ATM. They had to hand write orders and got us drinks while we waited, apologizing all the way. Eventually they let us in in groups and I got a table with the first two guys behind me in line and their wives. We got a large patio seat in the side outdoor area. There are two large fans that blow but they were electric so it was hot but in the shade. Lots of flies but it was still a great experience. Food was good. Near the end of the time I was there, the power came back on but by then I was ready to go. I might gets folks after the RetroMetroOKC meeting to head here so I can comment on how it is with power on and the interior. I wanted to get photos but there would have been no lights. Management did their best in an out of control situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Yeah, I agree. More of my favorite haunts are closed on Mondays than Sundays.
    Really? Next time try going to Big Truck, Thai Kitchen, The Mule, etc. on a Sunday.

15. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Mule is closed on Sunday.

16. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Really? Next time try going to Big Truck, Thai Kitchen, The Mule, etc. on a Sunday.
    OMG, three restaurants are closed = starvation.....

17. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Tried it for lunch today.

Service was a little discombobulated but that seems to be the norm for new restaurants.

I tried a slice of pepperoni and I think it was called the Big Tony (Italian sausage and onions). Thought the crust was really good. Loved the pepperoni but didn't care for the Big Tony.

Also had a spinach salad and it was really good. Would definitely have it again.

Empire's not going to completely replace Papa Angelo's for me when it comes to New York style but for someplace that you can get to from downtown for lunch it is a great addition to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    OMG, three restaurants are closed = starvation.....
    Should I compile an entire list? Would be mighty impressive. Anyway glad to see progress being made on this front. And hey at least whole foods is still open!

19. Default Re: Empire Slice House (old Coin Laundry)

Should I compile an entire list? Would be mighty impressive. Anyway glad to see progress being made on this front. And hey at least whole foods is still open!
    Compile away - but the list of those open on Sunday will be far greater than those not. So, in light of that fact, being open on Sunday is certainly not so rare as to be anywhere close to 'unchartered territory.'

Not that it matters, but that's how myth is born and myths quickly become stereotypes that people for whatever reason begin to accept as fact.

I will say this though, our party had a heck of a time finding a local eatery to go to for lunch on Labor Day. All our favorites were closed. Fortunately Hillbilly Po Boys was open and we had an excellent meal there.

I've been to Empire both days it has been open. Love love love.

Can't beat the pepperoni. So simple but So good. Also the rocksteady is good too. The (pretty) barkeep persuaded me to expand my diet and try the Rock Steady. Bacon, Gorgonzola cheese, red onions, and Balsamic Reduction glaze. I don't like any of those ingredients but the bacon and Dough but loved the slice!

Try it out!

Just had it last night with Catch 22. Pizza was awesome! Service- I hated it. Most of then people totally acted like they could care less and didn't want to be there. I wasted 15 minutes of my night waiting on them to run my card.

The "front girl" was ok and moderately helpful. I do like that they are serving pizza till 2am but they noted that they were already "playing it by ear."

That's dissapointing. Stick to a plan and develop some late night loyalty. Don't "play it be ear." That's what everybody else does and thats what could make your place different.

Yes, I agree about the hours. If they stick to their 2AM plan on a regular basis, people will make it worth their while.

But the first time you head over there and find them closed before then, things will fall apart pretty quickly.

WSKY has proven there is a market for the late night crowd, even during the week.

Went back again last night. Service was better and they did indeed serve pizza late, late. Very good pizza and the space and patio are awesome.

Need to try them out. Had Chicago style last week, some NY style this week maybe.

Enjoyed my visit. Great atmosphere. They served pizza LATE last night, a good sign.

The pizza itself is a close facsimile to an NYC slice. Not quite there. Mine was a bit burned. Giving them a chance, however, because they're so new. Some of the service personnel seemed to not care much about the customer experience; if I were the owner, I would secret shop the place because it sucks when you're a brand new restaurant and some of your service staff acts like they couldn't give two poops about your concept or your customers.

Overall, I'm a fan and this has the potential to be quite good, and at the least seems to fill a late-night dining void in the Plaza District.

Thread Information