Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Slice House

Default Re: Empire Slice House

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Not even $5. I believe its only like $3.50. Pretty big fan of this place. Cool atmosphere and unique delicious pizzas.
    Yes, according to both the "menu" link at the top of this page AND the page you arrive at when you Google "empire slice house menu" it is $3.50 per slice. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Yes, according to both the "menu" link at the top of this page AND the page you arrive at when you Google "empire slice house menu" it is $3.50 per slice. Lol
    I appreciate both your and onthestrip's attention to detail.
    It speaks of my personal laziness and the opposite of that regarding Empire Pizza Slices.
    Thank you.

(I'd bet the Ratatouille, now resting on the stovetop, with ingredients harvested from The OSU Farmer's Market, early Saturday morning, would make a decent pizza topping. In fact, it's a side dish to some Free Range (frozen and thawed) Chicken Thighs and fresh dug potatoes from the same source for dinner tonight. Maybe I'll put some of the leftover vegetable stew on some flatbread and call it a pizza in a day or two. More likely, it will be a topping for some of that Designer Pasta recently featured in The Gazette._

Having said all that, I still have a hankerin' fer a nice slice of good pizza.
    Sounds as if Empire is where to get it. (it's closer than Angelo's and the price is more than right.)

Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    LOL ^^^^^!!!

So . . . Is a slice at Empire about five bucks?
    (one good slice of pizza is worth more than an entire pie from Li'l Caesar's)
    (of course, I used to like Falcone's and Perri's before they went away, so my opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt)
    Isn't Falcone's on 67th/May still open? Thought they were the last time we went by a few days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I don't understand how Little Caesar's is so popular. I get a stomach ache every time after I eat it. The only thing that's worse is Cici's.

Empire is pretty good though. I haven't had it in a while and need to again sometime soon.
    Sounds like you're a slow learner.

Little Caesar's is one of my favorites in addition to Empire, but it's totally a different style. I was this close to getting one at the reduced Monday rate a few minutes ago, but I figured I'd rather save the calories for another day, since I bang down a pie in a few minutes (and my, gasp, movements thereafter are just fine, thank you). Cici's does a nice Sicilian pie, and the rest is fine for what it is. Sure, I might turn off my culinary taste for a lot of it, but I'll very happily eat a couple pies with good company.

Now, my understanding is that Falcone's is now in name only. There are up-to-date Urbanspoon reviews by those who have been there more recently than a year or more, in my case.

LATE EDIT: I love to flog this when Little Caesar's comes up: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...41751742269214 It bears mentioning that a chef friend loves it, too. But! As with all things, de gustibus non est disputandum -- and we wouldn't have a forum if that were adhered to, anyway, so I digress.

Little Caesar's pizza literally almost tastes like cardboard. Yes, I have eaten cardboard before, not going to say as to why I ate it, but I have. I will never understand how anyone could like their food let alone be in business.

I don't make a habit of getting it. But I've been at numerous office working lunches where someone is nice enough to pick up little ceasars and I'm typically happy with it for the price.

I guess it's about the same as the mcdouble, bean burrito from taco bell, or a 5 dollar footlong - not good food by any stretch of imagination but for the price it's hard to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Sounds like you're a slow learner.
    Well many people insist on bringing Little Caesar's to parties for whatever reason. If you need cheap pizza and a lot of it, its not that much more expensive to go with Mazzio's, which is actually pretty good for chain pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Little Caesar's pizza literally almost tastes like cardboard. Yes, I have eaten cardboard before, not going to say as to why I ate it, but I have. I will never understand how anyone could like their food let alone be in business.
    I agree 100%. It's like eating a hot circle of garbage.

9. Default Re: Empire Slice House

in college, $5 for a large pepperoni pizza waiting on you to pick it up was a steal.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    in college, $5 for a large pepperoni pizza waiting on you to pick it up was a steal.
    Yep, and it was a hell of a lot tastier than eating cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Yep, and it was a hell of a lot tastier than eating cardboard.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hell week, huh? Me too....

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Well many people insist on bringing Little Caesar's to parties for whatever reason. If you need cheap pizza and a lot of it, its not that much more expensive to go with Mazzio's, which is actually pretty good for chain pizza.

That's awesome that you bring Mazzio's instead! I love the Ken's sauce.

In an attempt to swing the ball more east of Detroit—how do we feel about the now-covered patio? I must say that I do miss the open air, while being sympathetic to the unease of messing with the tent.

14. Default Re: Empire Slice House

I assumed the tent was a winter-only thing. I guess it is still up?

It was when I drove by yesterday. Maybe it just helps create a 365 day space? I am pretty sure they have heaters and fans in there.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It was when I drove by yesterday. Maybe it just helps create a 365 day space? I am pretty sure they have heaters and fans in there.
    I like the shade in warmer weather I guess but they need to at least bring down the tent panels that are along the front sidewalk. Its much more enjoyable sitting out there while being able to see and be connected to street activity.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I like the shade in warmer weather I guess but they need to at least bring down the tent panels that are along the front sidewalk. Its much more enjoyable sitting out there while being able to see and be connected to street activity.
    Good idea. I will try to tell the owner that next time I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I assumed the tent was a winter-only thing. I guess it is still up?
    It was up a couple of weeks ago...

I really miss the open air feel of the courtyard. Tent was nice in the winter. Time to go topless.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I really miss the open air feel of the courtyard. Tent was nice in the winter. Time to go topless.
    It's always time to go topless

There is a patio in front of the building with seating that is topless if you wish. It is nice to have options sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    There is a patio in front of the building with seating that is topless if you wish. It is nice to have options sometimes.
    So people are topless ??? j/k

That could be really great or really awful.

That's like, four topless tables that are usually assumed by patrons, presumably with a better feel for the lay of second Friday, by the time I get there. Essentially zero options.

Maybe half the tent roof could be removed, if not the entire one, every now and then.

Good news. I was in the Plaza last night and walked by Empire. Side tent panels were down and there was a great connection between sidewalk/street and the side patio.

Thread Information