Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Restaurant to Norman - 3000 Classen (Hwy 9 & Classen) - any thoughts?

Default Re: New Restaurant to Norman - 3000 Classen (Hwy 9 & Classen) - any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Exactly!! Taken as an isolated incident, my response absolutely looks like a foolish commentary on a random BWW, but taken in the larger context of Norman's development patterns, it's a problem. There are opportunities being missed and I think Norman could be more proactive in facilitating experiences for its residents.
    And how would you suggest that Norman (whatever you mean by that) be more proactive? Do you want the city to dictate that a business can't locate in a properly zoned area because they think it would fit better somewhere else?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: New Restaurant to Norman - 3000 Classen (Hwy 9 & Classen) - any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    And how would you suggest that Norman (whatever you mean by that) be more proactive? Do you want the city to dictate that a business can't locate in a properly zoned area because they think it would fit better somewhere else?
    Yes, exactly. Focus on something other than if it has the correct zoning and maybe consider correct fit. I know it's an abstract concept around here.

Yes, exactly. Focus on something other than if it has the correct zoning and maybe consider correct fit. I know it's an abstract concept around here.
    So turn over to the local govt. not only questions of zoning, but turn the city staff into the uber developer as well? Require govt. control of specific business per available location rather than location of general type of zones?

You might want to think on that a bit longer. Perhaps even envision some of the unintended consequences of such submission to govt. control.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    So turn over to the local govt. not only questions of zoning, but turn the city staff into the uber developer as well? Require govt. control of specific business per available location rather than location of general type of zones?

You might want to think on that a bit longer. Perhaps even envision some of the unintended consequences of such submission to govt. control.
    Kevin, feel free to save your hyperbole for elsewhere as I said nothing about the government controlling anything. I stated that I thought it would have been cool if Norman could have swayed BWW to choose Main St. as their destination instead of a field on the way to Noble. A business that is as busy as BWW could help drive traffic for the rest of Main St. Instead, this BWW will be yet another development on the fringe as opposed to bringing some additional life to another area that I'd like to see continue to grow and I see that as a disappointment.

Kevin, feel free to save your hyperbole for elsewhere as I said nothing about the government controlling anything. I stated that I thought it would have been cool if Norman could have swayed BWW to choose Main St. as their destination instead of a field on the way to Noble. A business that is as busy as BWW could help drive traffic for the rest of Main St. Instead, this BWW will be yet another development on the fringe as opposed to bringing some additional life to another area that I'd like to see continue to grow and I see that as a disappointment.
    What hyperbole? You were specifically asked by another poster:
    Do you want the city to dictate that a business can't locate in a properly zoned area because they think it would fit better somewhere else?
    You responded
    Yes, exactly. Focus on something other than if it has the correct zoning and maybe consider correct fit.
    No hyperbole involved when you are willing to allow the govt. to dictate to Developer A it can not have a project solely because the city wants the project to go on another location (which may or may not have any connection to Developer A.)

HangryHippo Guest

I guess the city shouldn't "dictate" where the business can open, but I do think the city could have a better development focus. Do you really think this proposed location is the best one they could have chosen in Norman?

My point is, it is not the city's choice, and it shouldn't be, to tell a developer "We don't approve setting a BWW at Hwy 9. We want you or someone else to drop one at Main/Crawford. We think that will help downtown. It's your problem if you don't own any downtown property. A BWW goes there in Norman or not at all."

on edit.

I do think a city can approach property owners and encourage, via incentives, to develop their DT property, or their property anywhere, in a manner that promotes growth in the area, or discourages it when appropriate (like buying up a buffer area near Sutton Wilderness a while back to preserve it)

HangryHippo Guest

That's a fair point. After pondering this, I don't think it should be an all or nothing situation either. That certainly wouldn't help anyone.

This second thought is what I would like to see. I think it could be a good approach to helping solidify Norman's downtown (or whatever area they're interested in bolstering/protecting/discouraging/etc).

I guess the city shouldn't "dictate" where the business can open, but I do think the city could have a better development focus. Do you really think this proposed location is the best one they could have chosen in Norman?
    If they ever actually move forward with the Wal-mart/Lowe's there at Hwy. 9/77... then, I would say YES, it is probably the best location for them at the moment. Personally, I'm hoping that with them going forward with a BWW there, it means they are foreshadowing something about the Wal-Mart/Lowe's finally getting built soon.

But, what do I know? I'm just a small minded sprawler...

HangryHippo Guest

Wichita and Kevin, I reread this thread and I did not intend to sound as abrasive as I might have. I certainly value both of your opinions and contributions to the thread. I just want to see Norman start reaching some of its potential and I don't think this development helps it do that as much as I would like. But that may be living in a fantasy land.

Wichita and Kevin, I reread this thread and I did not intend to sound as abrasive as I might have. I certainly value both of your opinions and contributions to the thread. I just want to see Norman start reaching some of its potential and I don't think this development helps it do that as much as I would like. But that may be living in a fantasy land.
    I respect you saying this in this manner... And, I would say that on paper I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. HOWEVER. I live in the Norman area and I am what I would consider a fairly conscientious citizen and consumer. Just as an example, I have been wanting to try out Abner's since it opened, but because it's downtown I just haven't done it yet... Meanwhile, if there is a BWW at Hwy 9/Hwy 77 area, I will eat there weekly, at least. I guess a lot of it is a logistics issue... It's ridiculous to say that downtown Norman is any worse than a suburban location with a big parking lot when it comes to the logistics. But, yet there is still that "feeling" that it's a different animal.

Maybe that's part of the reason why there is such a disconnect when it comes to downtown Norman development.

Fwiw, my own preferences for DT Norman fit well with what has been happening already. Abners, Syrup, Bison Wiches, some retail, some professional, some blue collar, an oversll mix that includes a smattering of residential (could use some more)

to me that all fits better than a bww or most any large chain unit.

I have heard that BWW is going in on Hwy 9 West, by Riverwind. If that's not the case, does anyone know what's going in by that McDonald's?

If a Buffalo Wild Wings is built in Norman, I fully expect it to set sales records.
    Why is Norman so slow in getting a BWW? Smaller places in Oklahoma, such as Stillwater and Bartlesville as had one for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Normanjeff View Post
    I have heard that BWW is going in on Hwy 9 West, by Riverwind. If that's not the case, does anyone know what's going in by that McDonald's?
    The BWW is going in over by the HWY 9 and HWY 77 (aka road to Noble) as is a Circle K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Why is Norman so slow in getting a BWW?...
    Not a clue. It's a bit of a mystery. I tend to speculate it's because we're more beef and tater folk than chicken wang folk. Further evidence of that perhaps comes from being a college town that couldn't sustain a Hooters. Not a fan myself, but I have often found that a tad humorous over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    I respect you saying this in this manner... And, I would say that on paper I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. HOWEVER. I live in the Norman area and I am what I would consider a fairly conscientious citizen and consumer. Just as an example, I have been wanting to try out Abner's since it opened, but because it's downtown I just haven't done it yet... Meanwhile, if there is a BWW at Hwy 9/Hwy 77 area, I will eat there weekly, at least. I guess a lot of it is a logistics issue... It's ridiculous to say that downtown Norman is any worse than a suburban location with a big parking lot when it comes to the logistics. But, yet there is still that "feeling" that it's a different animal.

Maybe that's part of the reason why there is such a disconnect when it comes to downtown Norman development.
    As a student here for a few years now, the location they've chosen is exponentially better to reach my cohort than Campus Corner or Main Street, both of which can be a huge pain in the ass to park at and walk to or from. The location they have has a fairly sizable parking lot, it's very close to every major student apartment complex, and it takes less time to get to from Main campus than Main Street does.

If the goal is simply to profit the most possible, I think this is absolutely a good location. Anyone who lived at Robinson, or north of Robinson, would still find it faster to go to Moore than Campus Corner anyway, and about the same amount of time to Main Street.

BTW, the BWW looks like it's ready to open any day now... Banners out front say OPENING SOON and HIRING and they have been there for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    BTW, the BWW looks like it's ready to open any day now... Banners out front say OPENING SOON and HIRING and they have been there for a couple of weeks.
    Opening Sunday is what I was told yesterday. A friend of mine spoke with the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by iambecoming View Post
    Opening Sunday is what I was told yesterday. A friend of mine spoke with the manager.
    Thanks for the info... I can see myself being a regular at this location since I drive by it multiple times every day.

Thread Information