Menu
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon
    Eat Around OKC

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Default Re: Pizza 23 coming soon..

I'm excited as well. I'm a huge fan of pizza as well as most of the Coop beers. As long as they can keep it homemade, using high quality ingredients I'm sure it will be a success, even if it is a bit on the pricey side. It looks like they have a good amount of seating inside as well as a nice patio. Its also walking distance from my house which is even better, to offset the calories.

The only other close "competitor" in the area is Sauced which is good, but not that great. On the parking thing, good luck. It is already bad around lunch/dinner time with big truck tacos, and now Orange leaf. Once Pizza23 opens, assuming it is popular, get ready to walk those calories off and park a good couple blocks away. This is probably a good thing since you are eating pizza and drinking beer.

Justin Price (the owner of Pizza23) ran the Jo's Pizza location near Hefner and Rockwell before it closed a few months ago. In my opinion the crust was very good/unique (flaky, buttery), it was similar to the crust you get at Humble Pie in Edmond. The toppings/Sauce were pretty plain vanilla. It seemed the toppings were "too thick" and not enough cheese or sauce, just my opinion. I felt it was too expensive for what it was especially in that part of town which is very saturated with both Chain and Locally Owned Pizza Joints such as Italia Express, Pizinnis, Great American, All American, etc, all within a few miles.

Either way, I plan on stopping by as soon as they open. I keep checking the social networks anxiously awaiting for a "we are open" update since the Gazette ran the article in early October (stating they would open in late October).

Pics from their facebook:

Hopefully this will not be another pizza joint with crust that feels like a ton of bricks in your tummy, ladled with a half gallon of sauce. If I wanted that, I'd go to Godfather's.

I miss Godfather's

The Pizza23 looks great! I am hungry for some pizza now! Where is it located and when does it open?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I miss Godfather's
    Ditto. Second best pizza, and pizza group, I worked for in my younger days. Very close to being the best on both fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Ditto. Second best pizza, and pizza group, I worked for in my younger days. Very close to being the best on both fronts.
    Who's best? (IYHO)
    and have you tried that place in Norman just south of the University that claimes to be good Chicago pizza?

Best pizza I have eaten to date that I dinna prepare was out of JJ's in Norman, or at least it used to be. They stopped delivering a while back, or perhaps simply stopped delivering where I am located. I discovered really liking it and being willing to get out and navigate to campus and back were just not the same thing.

on edit: as far as places where I worked in younger days, Pizza Hut edged out Godfather's, but just barely. Preferred the sauce, and while I worked with some great folks at Godfather's, with the Hut I also worked with even better folk. Or maybe I was just happier overall being in the smaller communities than I was when I lived in T-town during the GF days.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 12-11-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: expanded

I can see the Jo's influence; it looks a LOT like it.

Was that Jo's affiliated with the Jo's Pizza in Purcell?

11. Default Re: Pizza 23 coming soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Was that Jo's affiliated with the Jo's Pizza in Purcell?
    Yes. That one and the one that's still open at 9th and Kelly in Edmond are affiliated with the original Purcell location.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    I can see the Jo's influence; it looks a LOT like it.
    I ate at the Jo's in Edmond and thought it was atrocious. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I ate at the Jo's in Edmond and thought it was atrocious. Awful.
    Maybe Pizza23 will be better?

Why did the jo's at hefner and rockwell close?
    And i have to put in my vote for Shotgun Sams for some of the best pizza ive ever had in the metro.

Best pizza I have eaten to date that I dinna prepare was out of JJ's in Norman, or at least it used to be. They stopped delivering a while back, or perhaps simply stopped delivering where I am located. I discovered really liking it and being willing to get out and navigate to campus and back were just not the same thing.

on edit: as far as places where I worked in younger days, Pizza Hut edged out Godfather's, but just barely. Preferred the sauce, and while I worked with some great folks at Godfather's, with the Hut I also worked with even better folk. Or maybe I was just happier overall being in the smaller communities than I was when I lived in T-town during the GF days.
    Pizza Hut is terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Pizza Hut is terrible!
    Back in the 70s and even somewhat the 80s when Pizza Hut was more dine in then all carry out and delivery they actually had pretty good pizza. Along the way somewhere pepsico and/or yum foods bought them out{among others}and their quality of product and ingrediants went downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Back in the 70s and even somewhat the 80s when Pizza Hut was more dine in then all carry out and delivery they actually had pretty good pizza. Along the way somewhere pepsico and/or yum foods bought them out{among others}and their quality of product and ingrediants went downhill.
    No wonder it tastes terrible since I ate Pizza Hut when Yum Foods bought them out, I did not eat Pizza Hut before Yum Foods bought them out, oh well

Back in the 70s and even somewhat the 80s when Pizza Hut was more dine in then all carry out and delivery they actually had pretty good pizza. ...
    Yeppers. 76-80 for me, part of a PH franchise outfit for me. A&M was based in Tulsa, but P-Huts for me were our units located in SE OK and SW AR. We were often the only pie in town back then, unless there was a mom/pop operation. We were dedicated to never taking that status for granted. We dinna have buffets. Everything made to order, and not every order was on an approved menu. Great times, on duty and off.

Yeppers. 76-80 for me, part of a PH franchise outfit for me. A&M was based in Tulsa, but P-Huts for me were our units located in SE OK and SW AR. We were often the only pie in town back then, unless there was a mom/pop operation. We were dedicated to never taking that status for granted. We dinna have buffets. Everything made to order, and not every order was on an approved menu. Great times, on duty and off.
    They also had a red and white tablecloth on every table as well as a candle if memory serves correct.

Yep. Sliding back to topic (Sorry for the walk down memory lane Pizza 23) the oh so very neutral brown interior wouldn't be my first choice, but from what I can see in the photo it's not horrid or anything close to it. And if the product tastes as good as their product images, it'll be worth popping over to give a try when I am in OKC.

Yep. Sliding back to topic (Sorry for the walk down memory lane Pizza 23) the oh so very neutral brown interior wouldn't be my first choice, but from what I can see in the photo it's not horrid or anything close to it. And if the product tastes as good as their product images, it'll be worth popping over to give a try when I am in OKC.
    It is better than pink

Achilleslastand,
    Actually, Pepsi owned them and KFC, Long John Silver, Taco Bell, and A&W when they decided to get out of the fast food business and they formed a new company (YUM) and spun the restaurants off to them. Just a technical detail, they were probably managed by the same executives. I haven't eaten Pizza Hut since the seventies so I don't know what they are like now.
    C. T.
    pepsico and/or yum foods bought them out{among others}and their quality of product and ingrediants went downhill.

My experience has been that Yum foods has completely ruined the resaurants they took over. Long John Silvers has recovered somewhat and is not too bad but Taco Bell isn't fit for that little dog that used to be their mascot and Pizza Hut pizza tastes like cardboard.

I just started eating at a Pizza Inn buffet on SW 59th and it's actually still very good...just like it was back in the 70's and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Achilleslastand,
    Actually, Pepsi owned them and KFC, Long John Silver, Taco Bell, and A&W when they decided to get out of the fast food business and they formed a new company (YUM) and spun the restaurants off to them. Just a technical detail, they were probably managed by the same executives. I haven't eaten Pizza Hut since the seventies so I don't know what they are like now.
    C. T.

pepsi didn't buy pizza hut until 1977

That pepperoni looks pretty damn good.

Thread Information