Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: SandRidge Energy News

Default Re: SandRidge Energy News

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    When you’re flamboyant with big money you’re always going to make yourself an easier target for the liberal media to go after.
    This is even more true when there are energy companies involved
    You obviously know a great deal about the energy industry, so I'm not trying to demean you in any way, but since when is Forbes part of the "liberal media?" What a ridiculous comment owing almost entirely to your slanted Republican worldview of everything.

Steve Forbes, Mr. Flat Tax, is a died in the wool Republican. Forbes is perhaps the most prominent business magazine and tied at the hip with Wall Street. Liberal? That is absurd.

The fact that numerous media organizations, including Rupert Murdoch's own Wall Street Journal have weighed in on Aubrey's shenanigans, shoots even more holes in your "liberal media" paranoia.

Do you wait until Fox News reports on something before you choose to put stock in the information?

If Forbes Magazine is now considered liberal by "conservatives" such as yourself then the "conservatives" in this country have truly gone off the deep end.

On another note, if the SD stock is trading at $5.79 a share, is it time to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You obviously know a great deal about the energy industry, so I'm not trying to demean you in any way, but since when is Forbes part of the "liberal media?" What a ridiculous comment owing almost entirely to your slanted Republican worldview of everything.

Steve Forbes, Mr. Flat Tax, is a died in the wool Republican. Forbes is perhaps the most prominent business magazine and tied at the hip with Wall Street. Liberal? That is absurd.

The fact that numerous media organizations, including Rupert Murdoch's own Wall Street Journal have weighed in on Aubrey's shenanigans, shoots even more holes in your "liberal media" paranoia.

Do you wait until Fox News reports on something before you choose to put stock in the information?

If Forbes Magazine is now considered liberal by "conservatives" such as yourself then the "conservatives" in this country have truly gone off the deep end.
    Our media is mostly liberal…. Studies of their voting records prove this beyond doubt.
    Rather you or anyone else cares enough to be informed well enough to know this basic fact about our media, that’s another story.

The fact that I would post something this critical of the energy industry that came from Forbes Magazine shows that your view of what I think is obviously not very well grounded in facts. I am more interested in truth and accuracy than anything else no matter the source… Just because I can’t stand Obama and what the dem party has done to the nation doesn’t mean that I am conservative on every issue… I actually consistently score fairly close to the center on politic views test…. It’s far more likely that you and others are so far to the extreme left that you think the center (where I am) is radical.

The problems with SD & CHK have been many years in the making…. I have known to stay away from CHK since year 2000. If I have known this why hasn’t the media not really covered this story until the last several years? Where have they been? They are very late!
    Many times what we hear from our media is often fundamentally flawed reporting, a product of a mostly liberal media and our journalism schools.

Our media is mostly liberal…. Studies of their voting records prove this beyond doubt.
    Rather you or anyone else cares enough to be informed well enough to know this basic fact about our media, that’s another story.

The fact that I would post something this critical of the energy industry that came from Forbes Magazine shows that your view of what I think is obviously not very well grounded in facts. I am more interested in truth and accuracy than anything else no matter the source… Just because I can’t stand Obama and what the dem party has done to the nation doesn’t mean that I am conservative on every issue… I actually consistently score fairly close to the center on politic views test…. It’s far more likely that you and others are so far to the extreme left that you think the center (where I am) is radical.

The problems with SD & CHK have been many years in the making…. I have known to stay away from CHK since year 2000. If I have known this why hasn’t the media not really covered this story until the last several years? Where have they been? They are very late!
    Many times what we hear from our media is often fundamentally flawed reporting, a product of a mostly liberal media and our journalism schools.
    I don't think our J schools are to blame. I got a journalism degree and most media, left, right and center, are not doing their jobs in line with my training.

Also, most media ownership is conservative, and the owners set the terms in how media is framed, regardless of a reporters personal biases. I do know many journalists out there who may lean a certain way politically who will yet set their views aside to be fair. It's called being professional.

The Oklahoman covered none of this Chesapeake stuff until multiple national outlets reported it. No one would accuse them of being liberal!

Liberals are also better educated. Do you want journalists without college degrees?

Where did Tom Ward learn to make a mockery of capitalism by taking advantage of OPM? Yep, Chesapeake. Can we be surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Liberals are also better educated. Do you want journalists without college degrees?

Many National TV reporters have worked for democratic White Houses.
    Do you like your TV news with this liberal biased?

I don't think our J schools are to blame. I got a journalism degree and most media, left, right and center, are not doing their jobs in line with my training.

Also, most media ownership is conservative, and the owners set the terms in how media is framed, regardless of a reporters personal biases. I do know many journalists out there who may lean a certain way politically who will yet set their views aside to be fair. It's called being professional.

The Oklahoman covered none of this Chesapeake stuff until multiple national outlets reported it. No one would accuse them of being liberal!
    If the media is “not doing their jobs in line with my training” then if J schools are not to be blamed… then what is it….?
    We certainly saw how thrilled several TV reporters were during Obama's second inauguration!

If the media is “not doing their jobs in line with my training” then if J schools are not to be blamed… then what is it….?
    We certainly saw how thrilled several TV reporters were during Obama's second inauguration!
    The blame lies in the fact that news has become "infotainment," and television news in particular is driven by ratings.

There were a lot of dejected reporters out of camera view that day as well. No need to be obtuse.

We seem to agree that the local media did a poor job of reporting on the problems at Chesapeake and Sandridge before national outlets ran with the stories. Perhaps this is the "booster effect." Perhaps OKC is not big enough yet to have local news reporting that paints powerful community institutions -- that hire a lot of people and give to local charities -- in a critical light.

You obviously knew there were problems, as did many other posters on this board. Many others, such as myself, suspected problems because of the obvious profligacy of Chesapeake in particular.

Perhaps we should start a media thread to continue this discussion and stick to Sandridge for now.

Many National TV reporters have worked for democratic White Houses.
    Do you like your TV news with this liberal biased?
    This isn't the same of conservatives? Oh, it is? Cool story, bro.

Did you watch FOX during the election? They almost committed mass suicide. I watched a lot of coverage and it was mostly professional. I have a feeling your like Sarah Palin and blame the "liberal media" for everything instead of taking personal, and party, responsibility.

The blame lies in the fact that news has become "infotainment," and television news in particular is driven by ratings.

There were a lot of dejected reporters out of camera view that day as well. No need to be obtuse.

We seem to agree that the local media did a poor job of reporting on the problems at Chesapeake and Sandridge before national outlets ran with the stories. Perhaps this is the "booster effect." Perhaps OKC is not big enough yet to have local news reporting that paints powerful community institutions -- that hire a lot of people and give to local charities -- in a critical light.

You obviously knew there were problems, as did many other posters on this board. Many others, such as myself, suspected problems because of the obvious profligacy of Chesapeake in particular.

Perhaps we should start a media thread to continue this discussion and stick to Sandridge for now.

Having spoken to a well-known local TV news personality about OKC school problems at great length several times I can assure you that the "booster effect" is VERY alive and well in OKC. I would also agree that further discussion about the media should have its own thread.

Believe it or not, there was a time when local news was journalism driven, investigatively minded, and ruffled more than a few feathers. Ol Terri Watkins of KOCO caused all manner of firestorms in her days. In fact, I think it was KOCO that helped break the Oklahoma Industries Authority scandal over illegal tax breaks it had offered to GM back in the 70's. Then there was the County Commissioner scandal, the (70's version) of the DHS nightmare under Lloyd Rader....

And, then, "infotainment" came along, and crushed local news with happy talk. And we never, ever offend a sponsor.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Believe it or not, there was a time when local news was journalism driven, investigatively minded, and ruffled more than a few feathers. Ol Terri Watkins of KOCO caused all manner of firestorms in her days. In fact, I think it was KOCO that helped break the Oklahoma Industries Authority scandal over illegal tax breaks it had offered to GM back in the 70's. Then there was the County Commissioner scandal, the (70's version) of the DHS nightmare under Lloyd Rader....

And, then, "infotainment" came along, and crushed local news with happy talk. And we never, ever offend a sponsor.

Sad.
    I remember that and it was a better product with better standards IMHO.
    I am old enough to remember Jack Ogle in the 1960 on WKY TV.
    As much as I can I stay away from the “infotainment”! It is sad.

I will give our local TV people high marks for covering breaking weather news better than other markets.
    Sometimes I will go online and watch the TV coverage of tornado out breaks in other parts of the nation. Try watching tornado coverage in New England or LA, the difference is huge and sometimes comical.
    We get much better tornado coverage than the deep south, Texas or Kansas.

ISS recommends removing SandRidge board, Bloomberg reports

----

every share gets a vote, and the hedge fund guys are trying to get people to vote their way with their shares for control of the board and company

ISS advises shareholders and big institutional holders on how to vote in cases like this, from their website:

"Overview

ISS' proxy research team often interacts with company representatives, institutional shareholders, shareholder proponents and other parties in order to gain deeper insight into key issues."

some sort of outcome is expected in the next few weeks

SandRidge CEO's family amasses big land stake near company-fund

NEW YORK | Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:07am EST
    (Reuters) - One of SandRidge Energy Inc's largest shareholders, pushing to remove its chief executive, alleged on Tuesday that a company controlled by the CEO's children has amassed around 475,000 acres near SandRidge's operations.

Hedge fund TPG-Axon, which has launched a campaign to remove all of SandRidge's board and replace CEO Tom Ward, claimed WCT Resources, an oil and gas company formed from trusts benefiting Ward's three adult children and run by his eldest son, Trent, is the fifth largest company doing business in the Mississippian shale formation that spans parts of Oklahoma and Kansas.

Oil and gas company SandRidge owns the most acreage in the Mississippian.

TPG-Axon alleges that land owned by WCT Resources in the Mississippian will benefit from SandRidge's efforts to build infrastructure in the region, adding that a smaller company like WCT Resources was not likely able to shoulder such a cost-intensive process.

TPG-Axon owns 6.7 percent of SandRidge's outstanding shares. The hedge fund has been campaigning for changes at the company since November.

SandRidge's board has given Ward wide latitude to profit from personal oil-and-gas deals in ways that pose potential conflicts of interest, according to a Reuters review of employment contracts and recent transactions.

SandRidge could not be reached immediately for comment. The company said proxy advisory firm Egan-Jones has recommended shareholders reject TPG-Axon's campaign to remove the company's board.

On Friday, another proxy advisory firm, ISS, recommended shareholders vote to replace a majority of SandRidge's board, backing five of TPG-Axon's nominees.

On January 25, SandRidge responded to shareholder allegations that Ward and his family improperly sold acreage to SandRidge. The company said it found no wrongdoing in the transactions. Impartial members of its board review all related-party transactions, the company said.

"TPG-Axon goes to great lengths to establish that WCT Resources owns leasehold acreage adjacent to acreage held by the company," SandRidge said, noting that it owns interests in nearly 5 million of the 17 million acres in the Mississippian region. "Virtually all companies active in the play are likely to have some interests that could be characterized as adjacent to the company's holdings."

(Reporting by Michael Erman; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Interesting that they are making no attempt to change anything or reduce conflicts of interest. I guess ward will defiantly continue on until he is forced out, which doesn't seem to be very far off.

The ongoing proxy fight between SandRidge Energy Inc. and one of its larg-est shareholders could have serious ramifications on downtown Oklahoma City, city and industry observers say.

SandRidge proxy fight could affect downtown Oklahoma City | News OK

Which is why I thought (and said at the time) that they should only allow Sandridge to tear down a building as they had plans and approval to build each building and were ready to dig. This may well end up being another example of why OKC shouldn't be so quick to tear down historic buildings at the say so of someone who is promising pie in the sky. As the aphorism goes: Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

This definitely isn't good. The good news is Sandridge's employee count in OKC is rather small but the bad news is the ramifications of losing such a high profile company. At best, one of the mystery towers that was in the works will be no more and whatever company was going to build it will take over Sandridge's tower.

Hopefully they'll get the amenities building finished prior to any radical changes. it's starting to come out of the ground finally. Framework is going up past ground level now.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Hopefully they'll get the amenities building finished prior to any radical changes. it's starting to come out of the ground finally. Framework is going up past ground level now.
    What's the timeline like on construction RE: contracts?

I'd think if it's under contract they have to pay for it. I mean, obviously if they go belly up, nothing anyone can do, but SD is hardly in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    If its already out of the ground then I dont see why it wouldnt be completed. If there is a takeover, I doubt it will be soon enough to stop the project and even if it was, they wont leave a construction project sitting unfinished

HangryHippo Guest

As I work in the medicine and not in oil and gas, what do you guys think are the odds of SandRidge getting this turned around and remaining a viable OKC company? Or are we going to see them sold off and moved to Houston?

I'm not an expert, but I don't see how you could give this situation odds. The current question is who wins the battle for control of the company? If Ward and the current Board come out on top, I'd think the odds OKC loses SD to being sold off and relocated are close to zero, because it's hard to see Ward selling the company. If they lose the battle, then the new board/CEO may or may not decide to move/sell...it just depends.

Now, a buyout/hostile takeover are always a possibility...especially when their market cap is under $3B.

The best outcome for OKC (and I have no clue if this is even a possibility, but the idea is out there) I think would be for Shell to buy SD and establish OKC as their N.A. headquarters. Instant stability for the company and likely plenty of growth to come.

anyone see today where they posted better than expected profits for Q4 2012?

Thread Information