Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krispy Kreme on I-240 closed

Default Re: Krispy Kreme on I-240 closed

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Donut King on Lindsay was a Dunkin Donuts a long time ago.
    I remember every Sunday, my parents and my brother always go to Norman to eat at Dunkin Donuts and I would walk to the music store across the street (Can not remember the name of it) and listen to music and since Dunkin Donuts was changed to Donut King, we stopped going, it makes me sad but it was good memories!

Hal Smith Restaurant Group was the franchise owner of the OKC Krispy Kreme locations when they first opened, not sure if they still are or not. I know that when they opened the franchise requirements were pretty high, it required someone like a Hal Smith to get an area franchise. Dunkin Donuts requires were much lower many years ago and allow for individual ownership of a location.

I still miss Frankie's at NW 19th & Portland.

3. Default Re: Krispy Kreme on I-240 closed

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    They are building a new one in Midwest City and will look for another location in Moore and Nornam after the Midwest City location open. The old locaton on 240 will be re open as some kind of hamburger joint.
    In-n-Out?

Yeah, yeah, I know, but hope springs eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    In-n-Out?

Yeah, yeah, I know, but hope springs eternal.
    Ahh damn, I want In-N-Out! I tried it for the first time a few months ago in Las Vegas and the hamburger was so good but I hated their fries though!

They are building a new one in Midwest City and will look for another location in Moore and Nornam after the Midwest City location open. The old locaton on 240 will be re open as some kind of hamburger joint.
    Krispy Kreme or Chick Fil-A? Where is it going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Krispy Kreme or Chick Fil-A? Where is it going to be?
    Just about have to be KK. The CFA in MWC is nearly new (<3 yrs old?), and perhaps KK wants to leverage that area. Not a totally insane idea, but given some of the discussion here, suspect their prospects aren't very good.

When I was a kid, there was a small donut shop in SW OKC called "Dennis Donuts" that had a big, neon-outlined elephant on their sign. Used to get a box en route to church (sometimes) when we went downtown. Fleeting memory at best, but I do remember 'em. BIG donuts, as I recall, too (yum).

I was told new Krispy Kreme will be on I-40/Sooner Road in Midwest City. They also said they wanted do reopen in Moore and Norman area but will look at it only after the location in Midwest City open.

I was told new Krispy Kreme will be on I-40/Sooner Road in Midwest City. They also said they wanted do reopen in Moore and Norman area but will look at it only after the location in Midwest City open.
    That seems like a good location near Tinker. Krispy Kreme is still somewhat popular just nothing like it was during the fad years. It seems like it's a go-to choice for business meetings in other places I've lived. I honestly think downtown would be a good place.

Well, now I won't have the internal struggle every morning after I get off work as I have to take the Western exit to get home. The donuts always smelled better anyway. But still, I always considered stopping! However, soon the Gourmet Donut place will be going in right around the corner and I fear that will be harder to resist.

My problem is that Daylight only makes a certain amount and is usually closed by noon. My family still hits up KK. I always go when the hot sign is on. They still taste good if you heat the donuts up in the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by istillhatepeas
    soon the Gourmet Donut place will be going in right around the corner
    a gourmet donut place in sw okc? where is it going in? -M

12. Default Re: Krispy Kreme on I-240 closed

Might be the same Gourmet Donut as the one on Porter in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    a gourmet donut place in sw okc? where is it going in? -M
    At I-240 and Western. The strip mall by Grandys. Just down from The Mediterranean Grill.

Krispy Kreme was a real treat for my children and the one in South OKC will be missed. We did not go there often, but when we did our children felt like it was a special occasion. They would always give children tours of how the donuts were made. The kids enjoyed going there just to see all of the donuts on the conveyor belt. My daughter's special needs class was even allowed a field trip there a few years ago. We always went there after trick or treating every year. When my husband was between jobs, we could go there for a free donut when we didn't have money for anything else. No other donut shop can compete with that, in my opinion, and I hope that they rebuild in the SW OKC/Moore area.

I recall when the stock price for KK was at $150. Wow all this and their main product is a donut? I told my neighbor to sell, that I did not see what the excitement was about over donuts. He told me there weren't just donuts they were Krispy Kremes. Soon after the price tanked and I remember thinking people should have sold after all it's only a donut.

Looks like this building is being remodeled. Anyone know what's going in?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    Looks like this building is being remodeled. Anyone know what's going in?
    Think someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Hal Smith was turning it into some sort of burger joint, but I'm not sure on that.

The red accent arrows on the building look similar to Hal Smith's logo for The Garage restaurants. Or at least to me.

The Garage - Burgers & Beer

Confirmed, folks: It's "The Garage". They have "Now Hiring" sign up in front of the store. Exterior rework appears to be all-but done, lots of stuff going on inside. Probably not more than a month (if that much) til they open (purely a guess on my part).

Anyone know if The Garage is close to being opened? I heard some people talking about eating at the one in Edmond and how good it was and I'd like to try it out without having to drive across town.

It appears that most of the interior work is done (judging from the lights and finish work I see being done as I drive by each day). The sign is hung, and they've had a "Now Hiring" banner outside for several weeks. I can't imagine it being much more than a couple of weeks or so before they open.

There is no beer on the menu, maybe it should be called Burgers & Pop

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    It appears that most of the interior work is done (judging from the lights and finish work I see being done as I drive by each day). The sign is hung, and they've had a "Now Hiring" banner outside for several weeks. I can't imagine it being much more than a couple of weeks or so before they open.
    That's kind of what I was figuring by the last comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    There is no beer on the menu, maybe it should be called Burgers & Pop
    I know the people I talked to said they ordered beer. Maybe there is a separate menu?

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    As greasy fast-food chicken type places go, CFA definitely has a better product than Raising Cane's, and at a slightly better price. I don't get how RC stays in business, personally...

I don't go to CFA for, um...reasons...but I won't deny that they seem to know how to run a business. If they hadn't started moving away from malls when they did, they might be dead by now, as malls have been dying slow, painful deaths all over the country for at least 10 years. CFA isn't overexpanding at all; frankly, they could probably use MORE stores in some areas, as the ones I've seen have lines almost all day long. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if people just go there for the, uh, atmosphere. When all is said and done it's still just greasy fried chicken.)

I don't get why donut places seemed to suffer under the influence of the Food Police, but fried chicken joints seem to be doing just fine. Well, fried chicken doesn't have EVIL SUGAR in it, so it's okay, right? :P
    I've heard that one of the reasons that the original Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich tastes so good and a little different than other breaded chicken sandwiches is because they put powdered sugar in the batter.

Pickle juice is the chik-fil-a secret, I believe.

Thread Information