Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012 - 360 Degree Red Sky 12-05-2012

Anybody notice the unusual red sky just after 5pm today?

It was another nice red sunset, but this evening the sky was red 360 degrees around, even quite low in the sky due east. I can't remember seeing this effect before.

Did a web search and found that a lot of people on the Northwest US coast noticed something very similar Dec 1, 2012: sky strangely red near sunset in all directions. Several of the posters commented that it was scary-looking. Here is the link for their discussion: Red Sky In South Puget Sound Region With Pics

Can we get a weather guy/gal take on the all-over red sky this evening?

Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

I kinda noticed a weird sky, but I didn't pay attention to the East. This might be a little off subject, but has anyone noticed the haze that seems to be forming along the highways. It seems that traffic counts have shot wayyyyyy the hell up since even a year ago and I don't know whether OKC is becoming like Dallas or L.A. where as smog is starting to become a common occurrence in the morning or what, but I just started noticing it last week.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I kinda noticed a weird sky, but I didn't pay attention to the East. This might be a little off subject, but has anyone noticed the haze that seems to be forming along the highways. It seems that traffic counts have shot wayyyyyy the hell up since even a year ago and I don't weather OKC is becoming like Dallas or L.A. where as smog is starting to become a common occurrence in the morning or what, but I just started noticing it last week.
    Definitely have noticed a brown haze around the city coming into work from out east every morning. What a bummer.

Probably a very high altitude thin layer of haze reflecting light back across the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFiend View Post
    Definitely have noticed a brown haze around the city coming into work from out east every morning. What a bummer.
    I know right. :/

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

18Z GFS keeping the trend of pushing the snow accumulation further north. Some other opportunities down the road. We'll see if they stick in the next few runs.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    18Z GFS keeping the trend of pushing the snow accumulation further north. Some other opportunities down the road. We'll see if they stick in the next few runs.
    Was that the forecast for the Sun/Mon or the big one later on?

Sunday/Monday event is super far north now. It looks like even Kansas will get completely left out of the show now. They are in a drought as well.

Looks like bone dry air with an extremely cold north wind is our game for this one.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Yeah appears models are backing away from a southern low developing and only keeping a northern one now. This will keep any snow to the upper midwest and northern lakes.

Sunday/Monday looks like flurries to a dusting at best.

Looking further out, it appears we will enter a pretty active weather pattern. With a significant storm showing up late next week and weekend. And an even stronger one around Christmas Day. Keep in mind this is so far out that things will definitely change, but it looks like chances of some snow will only get better the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

Looking further out, it appears we will enter a pretty active weather pattern. With a significant storm showing up late next week and weekend. And an even stronger one around Christmas Day. Keep in mind this is so far out that things will definitely change, but it looks like chances of some snow will only get better the next couple weeks.
    I also noticed this in the last few GFS model runs. We'll see what happens over the next few days. The question again will be available moisture.

Accuweather has us high and dry thru New Years Eve

13. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Accuweather has us high and dry thru New Years Eve
    People still use them? :-P

Anyway. NAM and GFS are split on Sunday. NAM is now showing a light accumulation (around an inch) from TUL through Central OK to SW OK. GFS remains mostly dry with just some isolated light snow/flurries.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

Seeing 50's and dry on the few sites willing to go out past 7 days

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Still looking at a little bit of light snow tonight, mainly south of I-40. Maybe a dusting in some areas but otherwise not a big deal at all.

Yay De-icing....

Ehh

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yay De-icing....

Ehh
    Mmmm...glycol baths. Another reason why I likely won't ever go ramp side.

HRRR snowfall forecast for tonight...roughly an inch or less I-40 and south. Most models are in agreement with this.

Well, I just found out I'm flying thru O'Hare ORD 12/21 for the XMAS stuff, (thanks priceline) any ideas if I'll get stuck there again? ! ? I suppose there are worse hubs to get stuck in around the holidays....

This sucks! I'm starting to get a little p'd off. I WANT SNOW!!!! :/

This weekend's system looks like rain, no real good chance of frozen precip. Still holding out for Christmas week with colder temps and a couple storms.

Looks like a chance of light showers across the state with the system that comes in this weekend. A bigger storm is showing up on the GFS for 12-22/23. That one we'll keep an eye on, still over a week out so a lot can change as we've seen many times.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Looks like nothing big until after Christmas Day, but that is at the end of the forecast window so it'll probably change. No real snow chances at all on the horizon. The drought lives on.

Yea the temperatures are just moderating way too quickly after we have a cool down, the next storm system in line doesn't have much to work with after one passes.

It's funny on this morning's runs the days after Christmas cream us with precipitation. But it looks like rain in the middle 40 degrees. Gross. Looks like another boring winter shaping up (prove me wrong climate, please).

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

It isn't just us. Family up in the great lakes are nearly 300 days now without more than a trace of snow. This is just crazy and has never been seen before (in recorded history) in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It isn't just us. Family up in the great lakes are nearly 300 days now without more than a trace of snow. This is just crazy and has never been seen before (in recorded history) in those areas.
    Hmmmm Could the climate be changing?

Thread Information