Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-Story Housing + Retail for downtown Edmond

Default 3-Story Housing + Retail for downtown Edmond

The area just east of downtown is really a great little urban neighborhood, with UCO on the other side. Lots of restaurants, the library and other amenities within an easy walk -- including Sprouts.

Will be even better if/when there is a train station established around 2nd & Broadway. Then, it would be super easy to get to downtown OKC as well.

This project is for the NW corner of Jackson & Campbell:

Plans are shown for proposed three-story building in downtown Edmond

By Diana Baldwin | Published: November 28, 2012

EDMOND — A new three-story project proposed for the northwest corner of Jackson and Campbell was presented this week to the Central Edmond Urban Board.

Turner and Co. proposes to build a 40,000-square-foot building that will have retail space on the first floor and multifamily housing on the second and third floors.

Default Re: 3-Story Housing + Retail for downtown Edmond

That sounds like an awesome addition to Edmond and I hope we see more of it. I really would love to see a light rail system would spur economic development.

That is a good area, my grandma lives not far from there. I thought originally the plans were for something West of the tracks, which is not a very nice area overall.

There are also lofts going up west of e tracks.

5. Default Re: 3-Story Housing + Retail for downtown Edmond

This downtown area has SO much untapped potential. I know that we'll see things change in this neighborhood in the next 10-20 years a lot. There is so much opportunity.

Demographics give a lot to work with in this case.

Yep!

Here are some details:

EDMOND — A commercial site plan for a three-story building for the northwest corner of Campbell and Jackson was approved this week 5-0 by the Edmond City Council. The Turner & Co. masonry veneered building design includes business, retail space and a coffee shop on the lower floor. Second and third stories are designed for multi-family units.

“The site meets all requirements. There are no variances,” said Bob Schiermeyer, city planner.

This item was recommended for approval this month by the Central Edmond Urban Board where it was noted that three houses on the Downtown Residential District property will be removed for the construction of a 44,790-square-foot building.

“There would be 30 apartment buildings and they would be constructed on the upper floors. The lower floor will be retail,” Schiermeyer said.

A sufficient number of 77 parking spaces are currently planned for the project, Schiermeyer said. Requirements include 19 parking spaces for the retail use and 19 more spaces for multifamily purposes, he added. - See more at: Council says yes to 3-story retail/apartment building » Local News » The Edmond Sun

9. Default Re: 3-Story Housing + Retail for downtown Edmond

Anything new on this?

Yes, this is very exciting and I would love to see this. Hope it didn't fall through.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yes, this is very exciting and I would love to see this. Hope it didn't fall through.
    Yeah, I hope this project is still a GO. I could go down there and take pics of the progress.

Man, I used to walk through this area all the time as a kid. Would be a little weird (but definitely cool) to see this built up.

Last time I checked, there was nothing.

Was awhile back though, I'll check again!

Planners look at retail/urban housing mixes in downtown
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — A presentation by Freese Nichols consultants of Fort Worth was made Wednesday to city staff and leaders regarding the Downtown Master Plan.

The Central Edmond Urban Development Board has revisited plans made in a 1998 Downtown Master Plan through public meetings and presentations to protect the future development of Broadway.

“Right now we are at the point of providing an assessment of not only the physical environment, but also the market conditions,” said Wendy Shabay, an associate urban planner with Freese Nichols. The next meeting in January will focus on recommendations.

The Central Business District area goes from Danforth to Ninth Street, to slightly west of the railroad tracks and then borders the University of Central Oklahoma and then to Ninth Street and Boulevard. This study will be limited in scope from Danforth to Fifth Street.

“You’ve got some challenges. Small blocks, fragmented land ownership, parking issues. We understand that. But that’s not a-typical,” said Paris Rutherford, principal at Catalyst Urban Development, located in Dallas.

The blocks define the real estate potential. Smaller plots generally push either lower density or higher development costs, Rutherford said.

Edmond is benefited by having a major university, Rutherford said. As a strategist, he partners with Freese Nichols in planning that is rooted in marketing realities.

“There is probably 40,000-50,000 square-feet of retail, primarily restaurant driven, and university driven retail that can occur within (a) 10-year period,” Rutherford said.

The area around downtown has about 56-acres of owner-occupied housing that can occur. There is 34-acres of renter occupied property, 15 acres for office and 3-5 acres retail programming, Rutherford said.

“So that says the retail is probably in a mixed use program that is combined with other uses,” he said.

One positive is that just about everything from the core of downtown to the University of Central Oklahoma is walkable. Most other cities are more spread out without the potential to connect, Rutherford said. There are areas between the core of downtown to Fifth Street with a lot of pavement and open spaces that do not hold together as a development pattern.

“We don’t disagree that there’s pressures of parking,” he said. “But there’s also another kind of parking problem that exists downtown. That is the impact that all these spaces that are parking lots have on what you experience.”

Structuring key linkage points of parking needs to be identified to generate activity for services and restaurants, Rutherford said. There is a need to identify development zones that are connected together.

“But it’s not necessarily that we’re going to take one block, tear it all down, put a building in here and have everything else be a parking lot,” he said.

There are ways to address the needs of churches while also addressing a community’s needs for economic development, he said.

The area lacks enough natural amenities such as Shannon Miller Park and Stephenson Park. Strategically located outdoor spaces will activate an urban environment, Rutherford said.

“It makes it easy to understand there is framework for investment,” he said.

- See more at: Planners look at retail/urban housing mixes in downtown » Local News » The Edmond Sun

This is exciting for Edmond. They could quickly have a very urban downtown and a hot spot for college kids or grads to live.

I think this is what is being built...?

New retail/office project proposed for downtown
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Central Edmond Urban Development Board this week agreed 5-1 to the site plan for Plaza USA to be located at 108 N. Broadway on the southeast corner of Campbell and Broadway.

“It will be a 15,084-square-foot building for retail and office,” said Jan Fees, city planner for the Central Business District.

Developer Saeed Zahrai has not specified the businesses to occupy the two-story building. The cost of the project is estimated from $4.6 million to $5.4 million.

Fees said it is likely that office space will be designated for the upper floor. Retail would be on the first floor.

The Edmond Golf building is probably the last retail construction project built in the area, Fees said.

- See more at: New retail/office project proposed for downtown » Local News » The Edmond Sun

denied because of get this...... parking issues. Shocking, I know.

Council rejects building plan
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Edmond City Council this week voted 0-4 against the commercial site plan for Plaza USA, a 15,084-square-foot building for retail and offices.

Councilwoman Elizabeth Waner was not present for the vote.

At issue is the best use of a 12,000-square-foot parking lot located at 108 N. Broadway on the southeast corner of Campbell and Broadway. Developer Saeed Zahrai has not specified the businesses to occupy the two-story building. The cost of the project is estimated from $4.6 million to $5.4 million.

“The parking standards for downtown are already a lot less than they are for anywhere else,” said Charles Lamb, mayor.

The City of Edmond has hired a consultant to help the city council make decisions about designing the future of downtown. It’s report will be submitted to the council on June 23.

“The bottom line from my point of view …I think we are a little ahead of our game with respect to downtown planning strategies,” Lamb said.

Plans to build a two-story territorial style building with a variance for parking won the favor of the Central Edmond Urban Development Board earlier this month with a 5-1 vote.

- See more at: Council rejects building plan » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Wow they are idiots. Is there a rendering? It sounds like possibly a good development.

Yeap. I'm sending the city of Edmond a very strongly worded message about why they need to eliminate parking requirements.

As for the rendering, I honestly don't know. I tried to find who the architect was, but I couldn't.

Other developers have managed to follow zoning requirements. Why should this development get an exception. Edmond is trying really hard to fix up and reinvigorate their downtown, and with the consultants report coming next month, maybe now isn't the time to make sweeping standard changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Other developers have managed to follow zoning requirements. Why should this development get an exception. Edmond is trying really hard to fix up and reinvigorate their downtown, and with the consultants report coming next month, maybe now isn't the time to make sweeping standard changes.
    You make a fair point.... but my beef is that Edmond needs to stop basing cars on what development can go in. Just because some fat, lazy, slob can't walk an extra 100ft. because of lack of parking doesn't mean people like me who are willing to walk should be deprived of great developments. I will walk anywhere and prefer. I live in Asheforde Oaks which is located on Covell and Coltran and I'll walk and bike to downtown Edmond just to say hi to a few people.

I think downtown Edmond could become a great place and has the potential, lets hope they don't squander it by prioritizing cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Actually look at the Public Safety bldg the city is responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Actually look at the Public Safety bldg the city is responsible for.
    OK. I'm looking at it. Not sure what your point is.

For those not so concerned about parking... that say they would walk or bike.... not every can walk or bike, and not everyone will be going to the downtown area from a short distance, so they'll have to park somewhere. So why shouldn't parking be a consideration when planning development?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    OK. I'm looking at it. Not sure what your point is.

For those not so concerned about parking... that say they would walk or bike.... not every can walk or bike, and not everyone will be going to the downtown area from a short distance, so they'll have to park somewhere. So why shouldn't parking be a consideration when planning development?
    Shadid was quoted as saying that Edmond's new Public Safety Bldg doesn't even meet the requirements they were holding this proposed building responsible for meeting.

So Shadid fought against the Public Safety Bldg that was going to be larger, more accommodating for the future, and be out of downtown (at Kelly and Main), which would have helped with downtown traffic and parking issues. Then he pushed this Public Safety building, which due to limitations of the location REQUIRED some variances, and now he's using those variances to try to get more variances?

He does a good job at creating billable hours.

Thread Information