Widgets Magazine

Thread: Norman ranked #2 most affordable city in U.S.

Default Norman ranked #2 most affordable city in U.S.

by Yahoo.com. Ardmore was ranked #3.

Default Re: Norman ranked #2 most affordable city in U.S.

Proof positive that Yahoo is ridiculous. I would have a hard time affording to live there. Unless OKC is ranked number one, that number is silly.

Norman is a nice city, and that's coming from someone who still doesn't consider myself very citified even after all these years.

4. Default Re: Norman ranked #2 most affordable city in U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Proof positive that Yahoo is ridiculous. I would have a hard time affording to live there. Unless OKC is ranked number one, that number is silly.
    I hope you are seriously joking.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I haven't looked at housing prices down there in years, but when I built in 2000, comparable sized homes in Norman,in comparable West side neighborhoods were demanding about a 20% premium over S. OKC.

6. Default Re: Norman ranked #2 most affordable city in U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    I haven't looked at housing prices down there in years, but when I built in 2000, comparable sized homes in Norman,in comparable West side neighborhoods were demanding about a 20% premium over S. OKC.
    I guess it depends. I've always seen tremendous value in the Norman market. Of course every house I've purchased has increase in value a good deal to allow me to make money off of them.

I guess it depends. I've always seen tremendous value in the Norman market. Of course every house I've purchased has increase in value a good deal to allow me to make money off of them.
    Had I to do it over again, I would have bought close to campus and just stayed there!

Had I to do it over again, I would have bought close to campus and just stayed there!
    From a norman property owner of 8 years trying to get out, I can say property values are without doubt more expensive here than in OKC. My guess is that a statistical measure makes us look cheaper than OKC as a whole. For average homes, I find OKC way cheaper.

Perhaps they are factoring all the college beer specials in to a cost of living index.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    From a norman property owner of 8 years trying to get out, I can say property values are without doubt more expensive here than in OKC. My guess is that a statistical measure makes us look cheaper than OKC as a whole. For average homes, I find OKC way cheaper.

Perhaps they are factoring all the college beer specials in to a cost of living index.
    Or the six days of parking revenue!

Muskogee was ranked 7th.

From a different thread where Yahoo! published a list putting OKC and Tulsa in the top 10 American cities that were bad for women's health.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yahoo list are not very credible.
    If this was a Top 10 Best Cities for Women, people would be all over it and supporting it. More appropriately, this is a SELF Magazine poll that was posted in a section on Yahoo. Does it make a difference? Not really. We still know Oklahoma is one of the fattest and most unhealthy places to live. Welcome to the South.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Yet again, we have a poll (if really even that) intended to rationalize a pre-determined result. The ongoing intent is to villify the environment, while holding the individual harmless. This poll should be an insult to women across the state, because it presupposes that they are all too stupid not to succumb to the siren song of junk food and smoking, and are inherently incapable of making the kinds of decisions necessary for a proper balance of life options. It further appears, as I review it, that this isn't even a poll, its an entirely subjective list based on the author's predispositions of what makes something implicitly "unhealthier" for women than men. Just more bad web-based pseudojournalism.
    I don't disagree but 2 points.
    1) We can trash this listing all we want, if it was reversed people would be trumpeting it because people in OKC have some weird list fetish.
    2) People stupid enough? Well...I went to Walmart a couple nights ago, and...

Nope - I'd have to really, really scale down from what I have to live there.

Yahoo is a mixed bag when it comes to their integrity

Nope - I'd have to really, really scale down from what I have to live there.
    There are lots of places in rural America that are cheaper to live in than Norman.

I don’t know how true it is, so I could be wrong, but it seems like Norman has high water rates, water that often taste bad and they ration it frequently. It also seems like the trash & sewer rates are high.

I'm probably going to catch hell for saying thing this, but there is a reason Moore and South OKC are cheap. Remember you get what you pay for.

Nichols Hills, Edmond, and certain parts of inner NW OKC have higher housing costs on a square footage basis than anything in Cleveland County.

If you guys think Norman is expensive I would suggest getting out more often.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    There are lots of places in rural America that are cheaper to live in than Norman.

I don’t know how true it is, so I could be wrong, but it seems like Norman has high water rates, water that often taste bad and they ration it frequently. It also seems like the trash & sewer rates are high.
    Water/trash/sewer/ is sub 56 if memory serves. I rarely drink water from the tap but can't say I've noticed a bad taste on the rare times I do. If they'd ration more often, my brownish lawn wouldn't stand out so dang much so no grumbles there on my part. It's too big overall in my opinion, but since I tend to keep myself in a 1.5 x 3 mile rectangle as much as possible, it's dang near passable as a decent small town, albeit with lots of tourist traffic.

Thread Information