Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam's

Default Re: Sam's

Update on this build. Main structure is up. Indoor fluorescent lights are already installed and operable. Sams have to be one of the easiest things to build, giant warehouse and steel shelving.

Sam's reps were at our local Edmond Wal-Mart this week signing up people for memberships. They said the opening date is October 8th.

Council approves Sam’s Club final plat
    I-35 store expected to open Oct. 3

James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The final plat of Sam’s Club was approved 5-0 Monday night by the Edmond City Council.

Construction of Sam’s Club has been under way at the west side of Interstate 35, one-quarter mile north of 15th Street. The new store will be just north of Walmart Supercenter on 15.98-acres of property, according to information provided by City Planner Bob Schiermeyer.

“Sam’s Club will be able to complete their project separate from previous construction on the property,” Schiermeyer stated.

- See more at: Council approves Sam?s Club final plat » Local News » The Edmond Sun

5. Default Re: Sam's

Can't wait! And based on all the WalMart bashers on this forum, maybe the lines won't be so dang long..... Speaking of, I hope they put in self-service lanes like the one in MWC.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Can't wait! And based on all the WalMart bashers on this forum, maybe the lines won't be so dang long..... Speaking of, I hope they put in self-service lanes like the one in MWC.
    I actually was just speaking to someone who works there, and yes, they will have self checkout lanes.

I just hope a Costco will come to town.

You and me both!

Don;t know the attraction of Costco but if makes folks happy, bring one on.

''September 28, 2013

Sam’s Club ready to serve Edmond
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Sam’s Club is set to open its doors to the Edmond community this Thursday at 8 a.m. with a grand opening ribbon cutting. Sam’s Club will open with the sale of goods and an economic boost to the local economy.

The new store will be open on the west side of Interstate 35, one-quarter mile north of 15th Street. The new 138,000-square-foot store is on 16-acres of property and is next door to a Walmart Supercenter and adjacent to the Fox Lake Plaza shopping district.

“We’ve worked really hard to make sure we’re in-tune not just with the community, but the state of Oklahoma,” said Jennifer O’Connor, Sam’s Club Edmond manager. “We’re having some exciting showcase events.”

Local landscape painter Becky Way will be demonstrating her skill as an artist on Thursday. Prints will be for sale as well as Way’s original artwork. Way will also be present at the two-hour “soft opening” of Sam’s Club on Wednesday night. The Wednesday event for Business Members is by invitation only.

Personal appearances will be made by OU football heroes Jason White, Billy Sims and Mark Clayton. Schwab Meat Company will be debuting a couple of new items during the grand opening.

“We want to make sure we’re representing not just the community, but Oklahoma,” O’Connor said. “We’re pretty excited about that.”

The total 2013 economic impact of Sam’s Club for the Edmond community could total $10.955 million, said Toni Weinmeister, associate director of the Edmond Economic Development Authority.

“Economic impact is the estimated increase in value of production or demand directly generated by Sam’s Club, as well as at other local businesses as a result of Sam’s Club,” Weinmeister said.

This total economic Impact includes jobs, payroll, output and tax revenues, Weinmeister said. Only 2013 impacts are included in the report. Additional impacts will be generated in future years, she said"

- See more at: Sam?s Club ready to serve Edmond » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Sam's had their soft opening tonight from 5-8:30. I got there about 5:15 and the parking lot was almost full. The store was packed. By the time I left the parking lot was completely full. The store is a Sam's but it seems much brighter than usual. It also has a really cool feature I've never seen before. Any of the checkout stands can be either a regular or a self checkout. The scanners are on a turntable and with the push of a button they can be swiveled around and used as a self checkout. Pretty cool. Of course tonight they were all attended but I will be anxious to see how they work.

I'm really happy to have this store so close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    Sam's had their soft opening tonight from 5-8:30. I got there about 5:15 and the parking lot was almost full. The store was packed. By the time I left the parking lot was completely full. The store is a Sam's but it seems much brighter than usual. It also has a really cool feature I've never seen before. Any of the checkout stands can be either a regular or a self checkout. The scanners are on a turntable and with the push of a button they can be swiveled around and used as a self checkout. Pretty cool. Of course tonight they were all attended but I will be anxious to see how they work.

I'm really happy to have this store so close by.
    Yeah, That means they will be all broke down in a couple of months. Can't even keep the cash dispensers going on the self checks at all the other Walmarts.

13. Default Re: Sam's

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, That means they will be all broke down in a couple of months. Can't even keep the cash dispensers going on the self checks at all the other Walmarts.
    Not sure about that - I've been using the self-checkout at the Sam's in MWC for a long time and while occasionally 1 is down, its pretty rare and there are always several others to choose from.

Speaking of.... I've been to the new Edmond Sam's no less than 4 times already. While the manned registers were always 5-7 deep, each time I could walk right up and self-checkout without a wait!

Really like the new Sam's - nothing really different about it other than a great location to my home.

I was hoping for some really exclusive deals at the opening - but sadly it was pretty much the typical stuff. I did however surprise the wife with the only real special deal I could find - 60" Vizio 'Smart TV' for $888.

Joint was packed this weekend. Wonder how the sales @ the Penn/Memorial location look now?

I've been a couple times already. The only opening special we took advantage of was their rib-eyes for $7.99 lb. They were delicious and very tender.

I spoke to someone who works there and they were telling me that the opening was extremely successful.

16. Default Re: Sam's

Since when did Sam's go back to making people show their cards at the entrance? Went to Sam's tonight and they were asking to see cards. Wonder why the change?

17. Default Re: Sam's

Since when did Sam's go back to making people show their cards at the entrance? Went to Sam's tonight and they were asking to see cards. Wonder why the change?
    Weird. They haven't asked in years. I dont even take mine since I use the Scan & Go app.

18. Default Re: Sam's

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Weird. They haven't asked in years. I dont even take mine since I use the Scan & Go app.
    Same here. Apparently you can use the digital membership card to get in. I went again this morning and there was a sign up about the new "show your card" policy.

Walmart has done a lot of security enhancements at the Penn and Memorial Supercenter which I assumed was specific to that location. Now there are gates that close behind you, forcing you to walk through checkout lines even if you dont buy anything. The "greeter" if you want to call them that still has a podium and has a handheld he or she can use to instantly look up the transaction to see if unbagged items were indeed paid for.

With the Sam's club changes I'm now guessing these are company wide efforts to reduce theft.

20. Default Re: Sam's

Walmart has done a lot of security enhancements at the Penn and Memorial Supercenter which I assumed was specific to that location. Now there are gates that close behind you, forcing you to walk through checkout lines even if you dont buy anything. The "greeter" if you want to call them that still has a podium and has a handheld he or she can use to instantly look up the transaction to see if unbagged items were indeed paid for.

With the Sam's club changes I'm now guessing these are company wide efforts to reduce theft.
    I mean, they have people who check your stuff as you leave? Why would showing a card at the front stop theft?

i'm still trying to figure out how their gates that close behind you are not a fire hazard, since they don't now clearly mark how to get to their fire exits....

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i'm still trying to figure out how their gates that close behind you are not a fire hazard, since they don't now clearly mark how to get to their fire exits....
    I would be willing to bet in a fire folks would be going over and under them if they did not open automatically when the fire alarm goes off.

23. Default Re: Sam's

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I would be willing to bet in a fire folks would be going over and under them if they did not open automatically when the fire alarm goes off.
    Hence, fire "hazard."

Sam's is doing a lot of changes since Costco has come to town. I'm seeing a lot of prices on green tags. They also say "New low price" on them. The showing your card again thingy threw me off. Having to show a Kid 1/4 my age my DL to buy a case of Beer, almost pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Sam's is doing a lot of changes since Costco has come to town. I'm seeing a lot of prices on green tags. They also say "New low price" on them. The showing your card again thingy threw me off. Having to show a Kid 1/4 my age my DL to buy a case of Beer, almost pissed me off.
    Mel,
    I'm 76 and it used to bother me but I learned (yes, we old farts can learn) that if we walk out of a store with alcohol and get stopped by the police we have to provide id to them. If we don't have it the store gets fined. Regardless, it seems to be an off and on thing because of complaints.
    C. T.

Thread Information