Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 469192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Based on the weather trend, we have a lot of rain coming in the next week. Moreover, looks like this Summer is going to be a wet summer like we had 5 years ago. We should be alright.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

I am surprised the City hasn't tried to dredge the lake. I understand there are difficulties around the silt and clogging filters, but there should be ways to over come that.

Is there an option to turn off water from Hefner for a week(s) but still meet the demands of water delivery? I don't know how the water system is set up.

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I am surprised the City hasn't tried to dredge the lake. I understand there are difficulties around the silt and clogging filters, but there should be ways to over come that.

Is there an option to turn off water from Hefner for a week(s) but still meet the demands of water delivery? I don't know how the water system is set up.
    When there was an active Lake Hefner Boat Owners Assoc we talked to the city a few times about dredging the south end. They are adamantly against it for the reasons you suggested. Plus. The lake is pretty deep in much of the north half. So even a number of years ago when all but the deepest municipal slips were dry the water supply was still in no danger.

I just took these (Sunday late afternoon).

They need to open the locks on the canal 100% if they want to attempt to fill the lake while the river is high. It's all flowing downstream to Eufaula.

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    They need to open the locks on the canal 100% if they want to attempt to fill the lake while the river is high. It's all flowing downstream to Eufaula.
    I have no idea what they are doing or why but I suspect they know how it works and are doing what they think is best.

Re: dredging. Would be more expensive but could they not bring in large earth moving equipment when the lake is at low levels and dig up some of the shallower areas (that would be dry)? This would have minimal/no effect on pumps and filters since it would be in dry areas.

Seems increasing capacity during dry springs to take advantage of future wetter springs would be wise?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Re: dredging. Would be more expensive but could they not bring in large earth moving equipment when the lake is at low levels and dig up some of the shallower areas (that would be dry)? This would have minimal/no effect on pumps and filters since it would be in dry areas.

Seems increasing capacity during dry springs to take advantage of future wetter springs would be wise?
    I'm sure the water table is fairly high in the dry areas... so after digging a couple feet, water starts to intrude, which creates a ton of difficulty. For such a large area this should be done, it is probably more efficient to dredge via barge.

They had the canal gates open the other day, and after the recent rain it should really be flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I'm sure the water table is fairly high in the dry areas... so after digging a couple feet, water starts to intrude, which creates a ton of difficulty. For such a large area this should be done, it is probably more efficient to dredge via barge.
    I am 2 miles directly south of the most southern tip of Lake Hefner. I have a 125 ft well on my property and the water level in the well is a at 14 feet below ground level

I drove down 39th yesterday and they had one lock open all the way. Canal flowing at 425 cubic feet a second. I'm sure I've seen numbers of 1200 in the past.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitorin...060&period=P7D

Looks much more full this morning:

Crazy how much difference a week makes. And there is more rain in the trend for next week.

15. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

It has two more feet of elevation than it did less than a week ago. Still six feet from officially full, but making real progress.

Probably going to be full before Summer really kicks off. The ground is so saturated, especially in the catchment area. I'd guess another foot and a half of rain in June and we hit full.

Looking better:

Current level is 1194.16 ft. Normal elevation is 1199 ft.

There's a LOT of water in the Canadian River in the Texas panhandle, with more about to flow into it during the coming 24 hours. Then, we have more rain coming in the next several days. The trajectory for not only Hefner, but a lot of Oklahoma lakes is looking good.

21. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

It's the cycle. I think we're lucky this time though that the pattern developed of it's own nature. 10 years ago or so when we ended up in this water glut, it was partially because we got a punch from a hurricane remnant that, unusually, held together by the time it got to us.

I'm especially happy for western OK and what's coming to that side of the state lately. It's often so much more dry that direction compared to the east.

What I dont understand is that the farmers seem to be unhappy no matter what's going on. I read something this last week about the farmers saying this year's harvest was going to be bad. They said that when it was dry, now they're saying it when its wet. I mean nature won't ever be perfect cause you're not in a greenhouse. What are they expecting?

22. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    ...What I dont understand is that the farmers seem to be unhappy no matter what's going on. I read something this last week about the farmers saying this year's harvest was going to be bad. They said that when it was dry, now they're saying it when its wet. I mean nature won't ever be perfect cause you're not in a greenhouse. What are they expecting?
    Most crops need for the moisture to come at the right time. Getting moisture too late, after they've already lost crops due to drought, doesn't help this growing season (though it probably helps NEXT growing season). And sometimes lots of moisture late can cause issues like fungus and certain pests to take out a crop that was surviving in dryer conditions. Planting is a gamble, and they know this. Doesn't mean that it doesn't sting (or worse) when it turns out poorly.

23. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Hefner has picked up half a foot just in the past two days. It’s moved into spitting distance of 1195’, which is only four feet shy of full pool. Seems difficult to imagine it reaching that point before summer, but as it sits, it’s already a huge improvement over the past couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hefner has picked up half a foot just in the past two days. It’s moved into spitting distance of 1195’, which is only four feet shy of full pool. Seems difficult to imagine it reaching that point before summer, but as it sits, it’s already a huge improvement over the past couple of months.
    So "full pool" means that anything above that and they start releasing water, correct?

25. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

^^^^^
    I'm not certain of the intricacies related to the lake management, but that would make sense. I do know that technically water CAN exceed full pool; just not sure if they routinely ALLOW it to do so.

Thread Information