Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

If this drought continues as some forecast call for… OKC could be in a very desperate situation in about 18 to 20 months…..

With a dry lake Canton and with what will be a very low to nearly dry lake Hefner, besides tighter water restrictions what is the OKC water plan?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

so at this point, what do we do? Just keep our fingers crossed for a wet spring? Hopefully we'll have a repeat of '07 when it rained for a month straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    If this drought continues as some forecast call for… OKC could be in a very desperate situation in about 18 to 20 months…..

With a dry lake Canton and with what will be a very low to nearly dry lake Hefner, besides tighter water restrictions what is the OKC water plan?
    If its yellow keep it mellow; big and brown, flush it down.

Remember this saying, if it doesn't start raining by May you will start to hear it more often.

If you will have 18-20 moths why do you need water now?

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    If you will have 18-20 moths why do you need water now?
    I think they're trying to keep the drinking levels "comfortable".

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think they're trying to keep the drinking levels "comfortable".
    So there is not a need, only comfort?

So there is not a need, only comfort?

There will be a need.

I just want to know what the plan is, if they even have a plan for a much worse situation.

i would guess we would need to add pumping capability to be able to serve the 200k customers that "have" to be served from hefner only to be able to serve those customers from draper ..

i believe okc is also going to shift water usage from hefner to draper in the coming months for the majority of okc

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i would guess we would need to add pumping capability to be able to serve the 200k customers that "have" to be served from hefner only to be able to serve those customers from draper ..

i believe okc is also going to shift water usage from hefner to draper in the coming months for the majority of okc
    Then why take water now?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

Thanks
    That sounds like OKC would need to build a major raw water pipeline and they don’t get built over night.
    If building pipelines is the OKC plan then they need to proceed with all speed possible!

Then why take water now?
    Why you be snarky now you get disbarred

Water is a serious issue for all, my comments were not meant to be snarky. Everything I have said is true.

Water is a serious issue for all, my comments were not meant to be snarky. Everything I have said is true.
    did someone in the canton area lose their drinking water source??

Hefner is 2/3rds full, no one in OKC has lost their source either. What will happen when spring rains occur, and OKC has to let that water go by. What purpose will this release serve for OKC? The water will be gone. Too late, too bad, tough luck.

Hefner is 2/3rds full, no one in OKC has lost their source either. What will happen when spring rains occur, and OKC has to let that water go by. What purpose will this release serve for OKC? The water will be gone. Too late, too bad, tough luck.
    okc will manage their water usage between hefner and draper ... unless we get tons and tons of rain okc won't have to let any water just go by

Do you speak for OKC?

Do you speak for OKC?
    definitely not

I don't think most people in OKC understand the situation. We have been trying to get OKC to conserve water for a very long time. We are met with "it's ours, we'll do what we want." If they had conserved the last two years, we might not have been in this situation now. How many have limited their water use? OKC should be good stewards for all water for everyone, including Canton Lake. You should all pray for rain. Unless there are heavy rains above Canton, there will be no water from this Lake. No matter what it was built for, no matter what OKC owns, no matter what the OKCWT wants, no matter what Canton wants. Without rains above Canton, there will be no water.

This time it really is going to be just what you brought on your own heads.

I don't think most people in OKC understand the situation. We have been trying to get OKC to conserve water for a very long time. We are met with "it's ours, we'll do what we want." If they had conserved the last two years, we might not have been in this situation now. How many have limited their water use? OKC should be good stewards for all water for everyone, including Canton Lake. You should all pray for rain. Unless there are heavy rains above Canton, there will be no water from this Lake. No matter what it was built for, no matter what OKC owns, no matter what the OKCWT wants, no matter what Canton wants. Without rains above Canton, there will be no water.

who is "we"

I know I've limited my water use massively the last two years. Of course not everyone does but as many dead yards as I've seen in OKC the past 2 summers I think a lot of people take the water rationing pretty seriously.

Do you happen to know what the evaporation rates are for Canton and Hefner lakes in the summer?

Thanks
    That sounds like OKC would need to build a major raw water pipeline and they don’t get built over night.
    If building pipelines is the OKC plan then they need to proceed with all speed possible!
    From their budget report it is expected to take around two years. Though it seemed like it was planed to start 2015.

OKC is quite far behind other large metros with water issues when it comes to water use. Building code and other city ordinances are sparse when it comes to requiring, incentivizing or enabling lower water usage across the board (or allowing/incentivizing reuse). Simply banning lawn watering won't do much overall. Every day use is a key issue.

Until the drought breaks above Canton, could be 5 years? Could be 10 years? Could be NEVER. It's doomsday, better start prepping.
    You're being just a little bit melodramatic here.

Canton was built for one purpose--to hold water for the use of OKC. It's being used for that purpose. Locals need to be thankful they were provided that lake and its use in the good years.

Thread Information