Widgets Magazine
Page 57 of 98 FirstFirst ... 75253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    How much water is being used statewide? How much water is in a draw?
    Technically I'm not sure how much was in each draw, but his pond is probably 20 - 30 acres and it would drop it 4 - 5 feet each time. But it would replenish on a one to two inch rain due to the catch basin from the creek being large.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    The anti-fracking posters on here are always ready to take a stab. Too funny.
    Who says I'm "anti-fracking?" You don't have to be a jerk about it. Are you an "environmental rapist?" Come on.

I asked a question. Fracking uses lots of water. Just wanted an answer, not a clueless insult.

On a related note...

The race to stop Las Vegas from running dry - Telegraph

However, Las Vegas still uses 219 gallons of water per person per day, one of the highest figures in the US. In San Francisco the figure is just 49 gallons.

Most of that water is used to sprinkle golf courses, parks and lawns so the water authority has declared war on grass, paying homeowners to remove it from their gardens at the rate of $1.50 per square foot.

So far 165 million square feet of turf has been destroyed. Laid end to end in an 18-inch strip it would stretch 90 per cent of the way around the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Outside Las Vegas’s Bellagio hotel tourists gasp in amazement as fountains shoot 500ft into the air, performing a spectacular dance in time to the music of Frank Sinatra.

Gondolas ferry honeymooners around canals modelled on those of Venice, Roman-themed swimming pools stretch for acres, and thousands of sprinklers keep golf courses lush in the middle of the desert.
    While we're on this witch hunt, lets don't bring that home and mention the bricktown canal and fountain, Oklahoma River impounded for aesthetics and recreation, central park turf and water features, if any, and whitewater facility. < I voted for and/or support all of those.

How many golf courses in the metro?

Lets look at it this way. How many people living downtown don't have a yard at all? Now if each of those people watered an average size lawn would that be more or less water than what is in the canal?

Lets look at it this way. How many people living downtown don't have a yard at all? Now if each of those people watered an average size lawn would that be more or less water than what is in the canal?
    It was your article.

I don't know what to say then - most water is used to make the ground wet. If we can't correct that through zoning and land-use planning then why the hell do we even have zoning and land-use planning? Saying that the canal and urban parks are the problem is like someone trying to make their house payment by cutting back on appetizers at dinner. You can't get there from here.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    While we're on this witch hunt, lets don't bring that home and mention the bricktown canal and fountain, Oklahoma River impounded for aesthetics and recreation, central park turf and water features, if any, and whitewater facility. < I voted for and/or support all of those.

Isn't most of the water at those facilities recycled and used again? The canal doesn't really float anywhere there is just water there. The only time you see water moving in the Oklahoma River is when someone is on it. It is damned up on either side.

False

Outside Las Vegas’s Bellagio hotel tourists gasp in amazement as fountains shoot 500ft into the air, performing a spectacular dance in time to the music of Frank Sinatra.
    The maximum height for the water cannon is 240 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    False

The maximum height for the water cannon is 240 feet.
    It doesn't matter...

While it may look extravagant the Bellagio fountain does not in fact use water from Lake Mead, instead being filled from an underground lake on the hotel’s land which is undrinkable anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    The anti-fracking posters on here are always ready to take a stab. Too funny.
    And the oil and gas employees are always ready to play the victim. Not sure which is funny.

It doesn't matter...
    It does matter. Holes in a story discredits the story. California receives a lot of water from the Colorado for 300 rice farms....incredible they grow rice in an arid state.

My question ? Why build another expensive deeper 'straw' when only an extension would be needed on the straw that is about to suck air ? My sister lives in Vegas and I hear all kinds of stories about water.

Lots of politics in play.

13. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

NVM -- article already posted.

14. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

The canal is filled once every 3-4 years when it is drained and cleaned. It uses well water for replenishment when necessary, but generally rain does all of the necessary replacement of evaporated water. Like the canal, the Oklahoma River probably loses a small amount due to evaporation, but that is a very small amount, probably not much more than it lost already when it was burbling through the ditch before it was dammed up. None of the water is used elsewhere; it eventually makes it downstream as it would have without intervention. This is a very different situation than water impounded for drinking water and other uses, and siphoned off of the source.

From the article:

Gondolas ferry honeymooners around canals modelled on those of Venice, Roman-themed swimming pools stretch for acres, and thousands of sprinklers keep golf courses lush in the middle of the desert.

But, as with many things in Sin City, the apparently endless supply of water is an illusion.
    We have our water projects for similar aesthetic and recreational purposes. It looks great to have water in the Oklahoma River and not a dry river bed with weeds growing in it most of the year more like what is normal without intervention. The canal is nice and lush compared to what was there before. That was the intent.

Water is water, from a city well, run off or what have you as the source. The planned use for the water for these projects is and was for aesthetics and recreation. It all could be used for other purposes. I'm not saying we should, I'm saying it's a choice made to use it like it is being used.

I see no one wants to get near the same issues with golf courses we have in common.

I wonder if our central park would be successful if it were xeriscaped?

If it was up to me I would have to reconsider if Central Park should at exist at all, for a lot more reasons than water consumption.

I wonder if our central park would be successful if it were xeriscaped?
    Ooooh yes sir

OKC could even Xeriscape its medians and highways and it would look a hell of a lot better than the grass, even when it is green, imo.

I'm considering doing my yard like this.... although I'll get more into it when I create a special thread for it.

Yards are evil. Cars are evil. Houses are evil. Lets all agree to live in tents and drink rain water.

Yesterday I mowed my lawn in the 95° heat in anticipation of the rain today, but I had a glass of water afterwards. Sorry, I am a terrible person...

Quote Originally Posted by td25er View Post
    Yards are evil. Cars are evil. Houses are evil. Lets all agree to live in tents and drink rain water.
    How about just living within the confines of the money and resources available? You can't live in OKC and landscape like you live in the rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yesterday I mowed my lawn in the 95° heat in anticipation of the rain today, but I had a glass of water afterwards. Sorry, I am a terrible person...
    you fiend!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Off with your head.

How about just living within the confines of the money and resources available? You can't live in OKC and landscape like you live in the rainforest.
    Sure you can.

Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase it. You shouldn't live in OKC and landscape like you live in the rainforest.

Thread Information