Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    umm no
    Strongly argued.
    How about maths?

Model Projections of an Imminent Transition to a More Arid Climate in Southwestern North America

If these models are correct, the levels of aridity of the recent multiyear drought or the Dust Bowl and the 1950s droughts will become the new climatology of the American Southwest within a time frame of years to decades.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

i don't think you really understand where our water supply comes from

It definately does not come from the Colorado River, more like Southeastern Oklahoma.

That information is a valuable online, so I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't know it. Tell me, what source do you think is unaffected by longterm drought?

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    Sardis Lake is close to Lake Atoka. OKC already has a line in place from Lake Atoka, so the Sardis line could tie into the existing Atoka line and avoid the expense of a direct line from OKC to Sardis.
    The existing line does not have much capacity to spare, which is what prompted looking into where more water may eventually be stored/drawn from which is what lead to buying the capacity at Sardis, though the new one they have planed parallels the existing one to Atoka.

i guess not . . . i thought you simply opened the valve on the sink fixture and there it (the drinkable water) was!
    sort of like how you put a plug into an outlet and there it (the electricity) is!
    i can't tell you how thankful i am for your planning in regard to the gravity of the situation.
    obviously, our potable water supply is the net result of melting iceburgs thanks to global warming.

I am glad that The Water Resources Managers have this so under control that the lawn sprinklers can run free.

If there isn't a hard and fast rule against linking concepts between threads, I would suggest that The Water Resources Managers of Oklahoma City be given discount coupons for a meal on the patio at the recently reopened Red Rock Grill/Restaurant. There is an outside chance that they may own a time-share piece of one of the sailboats soon to be sinking into the mud of the lagoon.

(sorry . . . i voluntarily got brainwashed on PBS last night by Ken Burns . . . again . . .)

Edited to Add: VERY effective, opening frozen shot on your shared video, SSEiyah . . . reminded me, in a vague, semi-disconnected way of Eastman's "Faded Elegance" (of Havana) presentation . . . (and of that "Mysterious Lake Hefner Pipeline" from about a year ago.) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    . . . and still the waters roll, and flow, out of the automatic sprinkler systems, keeping the grass green, over the curbs and into the gutters and into the street on down to . . . =)
    i wonder if "they" still accept beads and trinkets for manhatten?
    Good observation. Drought or raining cats and dogs, those sprinkler systems keeping all the grass green just keeps right on going. Sooner or later people are going to start to see the tremendous waste of resources we have created. Anyhow, good thing the City just finished that $50 million water plant expansion so Hefner can be drained faster. Seems like it worked as designed. The multitudes should rejoice that a public works project actually did what they designed it to do.

From 2011:

http://newsok.com/water-treatment-pl...rticle/3605613

Water treatment plant is expanded for growing Oklahoma City

The Lake Hefner Water Treatment Plant is in the midst of a $48.5 million expansion project. The plant will be able to pump out 100 million gallons of tap water each day after the renovation, up from the current 75 million gallons.
    If you follow the link take a peek at the lone comment on that story.

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

You're singing to the choir here! I quit watering my lawn years ago. As a boat owner with my boat sitting on mud more often than not the last three years I'm trying to do my part. Viva brown grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    If this type of weather cycle happens more frequently we many need to look into feeding water from Draper/Atoka pipeline to Hefner. Though without additional capacity like from the planned second pipeline and Lake Sardis or somewhere else that may not even be feasible.
    Already happening. See the pipeline that's been going along I-44 down by the airport? That's to continue over to a pump station off MacArthur, and then I believe pump water to Lake Hefner (and then for treatment).

so does this mean more traffic delays for no immediate reason contributing to the imaginary atmospheric carbon footprint of inept planning or whut? =)

c'mon HWTJ . . . don't wuss out on graphing all of this now . . . why . . . it could have a negative effect on the view from The Devon Tower, The ChessiePBoathouse and the former location of Bahama Breeze . . . not to mention BrickTown . . .
    perhaps The Lagoon at Lake Hefner could be a Polar Bear sanctuary? Just kidding: Not enough Ice.

chop/chop . . . as "THEY" used to say . . . before Obama2..... =)

(i apolgize in advance for selfishly cross-referencing points of concern involving politics etc. mea culpa)

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Already happening. See the pipeline that's been going along I-44 down by the airport? That's to continue over to a pump station off MacArthur, and then I believe pump water to Lake Hefner (and then for treatment).
    Almost done fergot: Yup.
    (with apologies for cross-referencing points of concern including Dust Bowls =)

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Wait.. So there going to pump water from Draper, feed it into a pipeline, then into lake Hefner and then back into the water treatment???? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pump it straight from Draper to the treatment center?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It definately does not come from the Colorado River, more like Southeastern Oklahoma.
    Speaking of rivers, I don't know if it would be worthwhile, but maybe OKC could bring water down from the Arkansas River, via extending the 3 ft. wide Kaw Lake Pipeline that ends in Stillwater. But I imagine the pipe would be too expensive, and there's only so much water you can get out of a 3 ft. wide pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wait.. So there going to pump water from Draper, feed it into a pipeline, then into lake Hefner and then back into the water treatment???? Wouldn't it make more sense to just pump it straight from Draper to the treatment center?
    Of course "there" are. Why do you appear to be so incredulous at the fantastic attack on reason and science and stuff?
    (our water resources are being managed from a station on the dark side of the moon replete with a humming monolith =)

(sorry: forgot the subliminal plug: stop feeding lawn grass water. doing so flies in the face of the gravity of the situation.)

Of course "there" are. Why do you appear to be so incredulous at the fantastic attack on reason and science and stuff?
    (our water resources are being managed from a station on the dark side of the moon replete with a humming monolith)
    Excuse me..... *they're* . and what's going on with moon?

(our water resources are being managed from a station on the dark side of the moon replete with a humming monolith =)
    To answer that... I question everything. Ask me a question and I'll likely answer it with question.

Okay . . . So when will [the] city buy Canton water and how much will it cost being pumped all the way from China?
    (please be advised that: "how am i supposed to know?" is not a fair inquisitive/interrogative "answer" . . . is it?=)

("the moon"?: pink floyd plus 2001 Space Od[etc])

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Speaking of rivers, I don't know if it would be worthwhile, but maybe OKC could bring water down from the Arkansas River, via extending the 3 ft. wide Kaw Lake Pipeline that ends in Stillwater. But I imagine the pipe would be too expensive, and there's only so much water you can get out of a 3 ft. wide pipe.
    That Kaw Lake Pipeline is in bad shape and is being evaluated to possibly replace. I'd be all for a 36" pipeline from Stillwater to Hefner but don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    storage brotha...it's all about storage (i think)

it's mos'ly about "storage" . . . yet, one must admit, it also involves "usage" . . .
    sorta like that gubmint subsidazed train t' Norman and points south . . . ?
    i think this may all be about the unintended consequences of paradigms in conflict with reality. (politics)
    oh! and infrastructure . . . or inferrrencestructure . . . whatever . . . =)

Okay . . . So when will [the] city buy Canton water and how much will it cost being pumped all the way from China?
    (please be advised that: "how am i supposed to know?" is not a fair inquisitive/interrogative "answer" . . . is it?=)

("the moon"?: pink floyd plus 2001 Space Od[etc])
    HA.. If it's coming from China then they might as well market it as Red Kool Aid. Either the toxic waste from China or the radioactive lakes nears Chernobyl. lol

...or we could all just say hey, why don't we figure out a way to live that doesn't require so much water.

Thread Information