Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nebu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Nebu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ^
    all of that... plus a person can do pretty well at tinker without a college degree.
    There are two guys (at the very least, I'm sure there are more, our IT group is huge, these are the two that physically work in the same office location I do) in IT where I work that don't have degrees, and one of them is very high up in systems engineering.

BTW, food service has had hiring problems for decades and it just keeps getting worse.

I did a consulting gig for Arby's and Long John Silver's in the '90s and they were having a terrible time nationwide even back then.

Think about the number of fast food places and restaurants and bars that have opened since that time. And there are tons more in the pipeline.

That industry simply needs to pay and treat people better which means we all will be paying a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, food service has had hiring problems for decades and it just keeps getting worse.

I did a consulting gig for Arby's and Long John Silver's in the '90s and they were having a terrible time nationwide even back then.

Think about the number of fast food places and restaurants and bars that have opened since that time. And there are tons more in the pipeline.

That industry simply needs to pay and treat people better which means we all will be paying a bit more.
    I also think the industry needs to do a much better job protecting workers from abusive, irate, entitled customers. I saw a survey that said 70% of women who work as servers/bartenders have been sexually harassed on the job. That is just unacceptable and it is definitely not going to attract workers to the industry.

I think tipping is a major problem for this. It forces an 18 year old server to tolerate some middle age dude harassing her on the job so she doesn't miss out on getting paid (tipped).

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I also think the industry needs to do a much better job protecting workers from abusive, irate, entitled customers. I saw a survey that said 70% of women who work as servers/bartenders have been sexually harassed on the job. That is just unacceptable and it is definitely not going to attract workers to the industry.

I think tipping is a major problem for this. It forces an 18 year old server to tolerate some middle age dude harassing her on the job so she doesn't miss out on getting paid (tipped).
    Yep, it's a broken system, like much of America's systems. Other countries have figured out how to pay food-service workers decently, we need to go that way. Yes, the population might pay more, but a rising tide.... (or at least one can be hopeful it will do some lifting).

The pandemic flush should have been used as an opportunity to restructure the service industry in USA. Remove tipping system that allows owners to pay staff pathetic wages. Make it public so people know that tipping in America is specifically to show appreciation for excellent service as opposed to helping someone feed their families at the end of the night.

I see menu prices have increased basically everywhere, with lots of notes claiming it is because of food/supplychain disruptions, which may be true. But why can't the same be done to increase wages to something livable?

^

A big part of our culture is tipping for good table service.

But the new trend of paying at the counter then having an employee stand there while you fill in a tip line before anything has been provided at all... It's a complete bastardization of gratuities and tells me the employers are trying to use tips to avoid paying people properly. This is a newish trend that really needs to cease. I actively avoid places with this practice; it's insulting to everyone involved.

I would strongly prefer they just charge a bit more if need be.

Just wait for every place to have the handheld POS systems. The ones where you swipe your card at a table or literally in the server's hands and there is predetermined tip suggestions that are usually scrambled from 35% 15% 20% 10%? All while the server/bartender stares [or pretends not to] at your selection. Talk about an awkward direction we are heading.

All wages are determined completely by supply and demand.

Now that there is too much supply for food service jobs and not nearly enough demand, that is the market screaming something is seriously out of wack.

Instead of employers sitting in their ivory towers and blaming 'freeloaders', they need to look in the mirror and deliver some long-overdue changes in the jobs they are offering.

Per Judge Radar on Twitter Nebu and the rest of Devon is opening to the public again on Monday.

https://twitter.com/okcnightcourt/st...272530944?s=21

Devon Tower and Nebu indeed reopened to the public today.

Such a great facility and good, healthy food options.

Thread Information