Widgets Magazine

Thread: Boone's General Store

Default Boone's General Store

The Wells Fargo Building is currently undergoing a rebirth. On the North side, facing the alley, Drinkz an 'upscale' bar (which we have all heard about) is going in, and opening sometime this summer, I asuume.

Though on the South side of the building, facing Reno, a business called Boone's General Store is going in. Does anyone know any details about said establishment? I don't know if this is a western themed retail store, convenience store, or perhaps just a 'beer bar'.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Boone's General Store

Interesting John, I thought all of it was Drinkz, someone please investigate or else I will have to ..........

That's curious...

Isn't the East wall of the Wells Fargo building the one that got the new murals? I wonder if the new owners of the building did that. I would have been smart to ask one of the painters when I was down there but I didn't think of that.

Anyone... ?

Luke, the murals were part of Oklahoma Centennial Project, they were commissioned by UCO students

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Interesting John, I thought all of it was Drinkz, someone please investigate or else I will have to ..........
    Half or more of it appears to be Drinkz, though the entrie building is owned by one person/company/group.

The building with the murals on them, facing the canal, is actually the building next to the Wells Fargo building. Water Taxi is listed as a tenant of the building, though it is also used for one of the horse carraige operations in Bricktown.

Ohhh, i see. Thanks, John.

So, I wonder what this Boone's General Store will be?

I bet it will be a small semi-convenience store selling a few small snack items, similar to the other convenience store next to hooters

Sorry for the delay, but Metro has done it again. The Boone's General Store will be a knick-knack souvenier type store and is scheduled to open near the end of July. Stay tuned to the Metro connection.....

10. Default Re: Boone's General Store

Yep, Metro is right.

The owners of Boone's came by the Dungeon a while back wondering what we had. Very nice folks to talk to. They were going around seeing what other businesses were around the area.
    We talked about the possibility of promoting each others business since we both are independent businesses.
    Hope they kick off to a good start. We have enough bars and resturants down there.

Dungeon Master

Does anyone know if this place went out of business? I haven't seen the door open in months. The sign says open and the lights are on, but I've not seen the doors open? I'm guessing the denim bar in the Sonic bldg. flopped too.

Patrick Guest

People just don't know how to run retail in Bricktown. Before opening up a retail establishment in Bricktown, people need to go talk to the folks at Laughing Fish. He makes his money during the summer, then depends on his store at Crossroads to cover him the reast of the year.

I agree. The thing that erks me is that rent is ridiculous in Bricktown. Hogan and others have plenty of empty space but yet demand such a premium it turns it away. Yet they let the spaces sit vacant for years on end. Plenty of vacant storefronts line the canal, etc. because of the high rents a few restaurants are paying who can afford to stay in business year round. Lower the rents and retail will come! To bad that won't happen in reality.

Patrick Guest

I agree. The thing that erks me is that rent is ridiculous in Bricktown. Hogan and others have plenty of empty space but yet demand such a premium it turns it away. Yet they let the spaces sit vacant for years on end. Plenty of vacant storefronts line the canal, etc. because of the high rents a few restaurants are paying who can afford to stay in business year round. Lower the rents and retail will come! To bad that won't happen in reality.
    Jim Brewer is probably the worst when it comes to this. Many of his properties on the canal have sat vacant for years now. Seems like he'd rather lower the rent and make some bucks, than let the properties sit empty. At least you could start out with the rents low, let the business get established, then raise rent gradually. This would give Bricktown property owners some good established businesses.

No kidding, and help downtown retail get off the ground as well. Maybe we all need to send a round of emails to Jim Brewer.

16. Default Re: Boone's General Store

Maybe we all need to send a round of emails to Jim Brewer.
    That won't do any good. A (rich) business man waits for the prime moment to make his/her move (waiting for the prey). The prime moment isn't there yet.
    But, you need to add other owners to the list as well. Paul Hogan, Jeff Brown and several other building owners. They all have vacant spots (especially along the canal) and won't change till the time is right (till they are hungry).
    It's all about business and opportunity. Yet that might sound sad, especially for retail and other opportunities but Bricktown is still in it's infant stage. Once it starts to mature (more business year round) then rent along with vacancy will slowly dwindle (and maybe under different owners).
    Believe me. It makes more sense to lower rent and make money now, but if you set the bar too low, the end result will be a major factor in the future when selling the building/space (which is their intent).
    They all have time and money. They will wait... and so will we.

Well I drove by there yesterday and they were open. I guess they are wishy-washy, and the sad thing is they aren't wishy washy being open when big events going on. It seems I've seen them just the opposite, open during the slow down times and closed during the busy. I just don't get Bricktown retailers and business owners.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
    Once it starts to mature (more business year round) then rent along with vacancy will slowly dwindle (and maybe under different owners).
    To get more business year rouns you have to have more businesses. Can't have that if Bricktown property owners aren't willing to negotiate.

Us taxpayers gather enough money together to build a nice canal through Bricktown and the property owners just sit and do nothing.

Great plan!

Once it starts to mature (more business year round) then rent along with vacancy will slowly dwindle (and maybe under different owners).
    That makes no sense. Retail rental markets are based mainly on gross sales potential, which is generated by actual traffic. As more traffic comes to bricktown year round, then rents will go up, and they should. What I see now is that the owners have created a paradox. It seems they are charging rents based on something that hasn't happened yet: the concept of year round constant traffic. And doing so is one reason why it hasn't happened yet...

21. Default Re: Boone's General Store

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    To get more business year rouns you have to have more businesses. Can't have that if Bricktown property owners aren't willing to negotiate.
    Your right Patrick (in a way). More business will have to come from OUTSIDE bricktown to generate more business IN bricktown (baseball, basket ball, hockey, conventions, hotels).
    I think once ALL the owners of the vacant buildings in bricktown see that business is going OUTSIDE of bricktown, hopefully they will see the light to lower rent, hopefully.

It must be rough to own property and have too much money to worry about whether it gets rented out or not, but that's life in bricktown.

22. Default Re: Boone's General Store

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    That makes no sense. Retail rental markets are based mainly on gross sales potential, which is generated by actual traffic. As more traffic comes to bricktown year round, then rents will go up, and they should. What I see now is that the owners have created a paradox. It seems they are charging rents based on something that hasn't happened yet: the concept of year round constant traffic. And doing so is one reason why it hasn't happened yet...
    It does make sense. This isn't retail rental market property. It's bricktown property owned by owners that don't need the money that bad and will wait for the biggie rental agreement to come.
    Your right, they are charging rent based on future constant traffic (which I don't agree on) but they won't short themselves and set the bar low. It's a business.

Patrick Guest

The more they do this, the more I go eat in the CBD.

Deep Deuce, the Arts District/Quarter, and MidTown will each surpass Bricktown with retail in the next couple of years.

That's not even including Lower Reno.

ImproveOKC Guest

I agree. It will be very similar to the West End in Dallas. Bricktown will no longer be a big deal.

Thread Information