Widgets Magazine
Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4893949596979899 LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

In response to the transit options in the News9 story above The light rail from downtown to the airport seems like a no brainer. Essentially build a Monorail (cue Simpson's jokes) that could follow the existing rail alignment along Newscastle road, through Stockyard city and drop off in front of Reno (arena) and Amtrak downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    In response to the transit options in the News9 story above The light rail from downtown to the airport seems like a no brainer. Essentially build a Monorail (cue Simpson's jokes) that could follow the existing rail alignment along Newscastle road, through Stockyard city and drop off in front of Reno (arena) and Amtrak downtown.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canberra_metro_simpsons_monorail_by_topher147_dczjj6f-fullview.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	18677

Heavy rail is more likely

https://kfor.com/news/local/could-wi...et-a-new-name/

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) — There could be some changes coming to Will Rogers World Airport as they look to rebrand this year. In those rebranding discussions, there were talks of a potential name change.

To reflect the Western heritage theme, Roy Rogers International Airport. /s/

Pics of the newly opened Hatch…

Name:	IMG_6354.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	18678

Name:	IMG_6353.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	18679

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    Pics of the newly opened Hatch…

Name:	IMG_6354.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	18678

Name:	IMG_6353.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	18679
    That is definitely going to be our go-to next time we're there. Hadn't been to Hatch in a while, but went to the Good Earth Rock Gallery in AA (they have incredible butterflies framed that we got a few of, along with some nice jewelry) and decided to eat there since they had put a bunch of new (to us) items on their menu, very good. I was wondering why their mimosas were $11, but they're *huge*, so that was a pleasant surprise.

7. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

On the name, my bet is 'Will Rogers - Oklahoma City International Airport' (OKC).

This fits the city/airport's goal of 1) identification and 2) offering, while also retaining it's heritage. Adding Oklahoma City to the official name accomplishes 1, and changing from World to International accomplishes 2. While the official name is rather long, it clearly indicates where the airport is and that it is now (or will become) truly International (and not just in name like Tulsa). Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport comes to mind as a benchmark (not an international airport though). Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is a more relevant example, as is Chicago O'Hare International Airport. Didn't even Wichita change adding Eisenhower and dropping Mid-Continent?

My idea also allows locals to still call it 'Will Rogers' airport, which the survey likely indicated most call it. Similarly, most call ATL or Hartsfield airport, and ORD as O'Hare but their official names is much longer and heritage. I'd argue OKC will do the same with 'Will Rogers Oklahoma City International Airport'.

Be glad OKC is not 'Bill and Hillary Clinton Little Rock National Airport' (LIT). Frew... That's long. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

That’s an acceptable compromise imo.

Name:	Airport Sign.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	18703

Since there is a name change on the way, presumably, what is the over/under on when signs like this get updated?

Las Vegas renamed McCarran Airport to Harry Reid Airport in 2021, and there is still plenty of signage in the terminals and around Las Vegas that reflect the McCarran name three years later.

Name:	Airport Sign.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	18703

Since there is a name change on the way, presumably, what is the over/under on when signs like this get updated?

Las Vegas renamed McCarran Airport to Harry Reid Airport in 2021, and there is still plenty of signage in the terminals and around Las Vegas that reflect the McCarran name three years later.
    They plaster an OKC over world and call it good enough.

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

haha, yep. I bet the signs take much longer.

Honestly, I'd just be fine with the airport symbol on the main control signage as opposed to a special side sign for the airport. Don't actually need the name of the airport on freeway signage actually unless there's two airports in a city. ..

12. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I know there's a lot of doubters and a lot of sunshine pumpers too - but OKC and Tulsa could both support international travel/routes if they don't fight with each other and cannibalize each other. If you look at the pull in areas from say Wichita, NWA, Southwest Missouri, etc. there's more than enough population to support it and travelers. Problem is most of the surrounding regions are funneling the majority of connecting travelers through Dallas. It's a bummer there's not better regional rail connections to both cities from surrounding MSA's that could funnel more people into the airports too. There's still a lot of leakage of travelers from Tulsa & OKC that will drive to Dallas to get better flight arrangements. I know it probably won't ever happen but if OKC & Tulsa airport authorities could work together to recruit routes to each for specific cities (say OKC gets Cancun, Tulsa gets Cabo, etc.) and maybe figure out a way to subsidize a regional to pick up short connector flights to funnel in passengers from Wichita, NWA, Springfield/Branson, Little Rock, etc. to boost up support for international connections at both that would be a game changer. Scale is important and I don't think either could do it fully alone but together they have a lot more pull.

Just OKC-Tulsa-NWA is about 3.5 million, add in SW Missouri and it's 4.25 million, add in Wichita and other areas that OKC/Tulsa are closer than say KCI or DFW you're over 5 million people and nearly 10 million yearly travelers combined from Tulsa, OKC, NWA, Springfield, Wichita, etc. airports.

Blog Entries

Years ago Omni Air, which is based in Tulsa, used to fly several charter flights a week to various Mexican and carribiean tourist sites. The return flight would stop off in Dallas for customs and then fly on to Tulsa. The flights were bundled with hotels for vacation packages and the destinations would change week by week. I'm pretty sure they did the same from OKC.

The demand is there if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Years ago Omni Air, which is based in Tulsa, used to fly several charter flights a week to various Mexican and carribiean tourist sites. The return flight would stop off in Dallas for customs and then fly on to Tulsa. The flights were bundled with hotels for vacation packages and the destinations would change week by week. I'm pretty sure they did the same from OKC.

I feel like if you were able to pull in some of those regional route and funnel into OKC/Tulsa versus Chicago/DFW you could likely justify maybe a Toronto, London, Mexico City, South America location, etc. type international route too beyond resort routes. Denver and DFW are way over capacity and as this region grows there will be a need for a secondary hub in Mid America somewhere. KCI is positioning itself to be that alternative and their new terminal is phenomenal. Tulsa or OKC both have better winter weather/less delays and better locations to surrounding urban centers than Kansas City to position as a secondary hub/major focus city.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    They plaster an OKC over world and call it good enough.
    Or they just leave it as it is.

This sign still existed last time I checked. The Omniplex changed its name in 2007 and the OmniDome has been gone for at least 10 years now. I also don't think the zoo itself mentions BotanicalPark anywhere in its marketing.

Name:	Omniplex.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	18709

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    I feel like if you were able to pull in some of those regional route and funnel into OKC/Tulsa versus Chicago/DFW you could likely justify maybe a Toronto, London, Mexico City, South America location, etc. type international route too beyond resort routes. Denver and DFW are way over capacity and as this region grows there will be a need for a secondary hub in Mid America somewhere. KCI is positioning itself to be that alternative and their new terminal is phenomenal. Tulsa or OKC both have better winter weather/less delays and better locations to surrounding urban centers than Kansas City to position as a secondary hub/major focus city.
    ^ ^ ^
    Good point

This is where OKC WWRA and Tusa International need to work together on coordinating international flights where you have an option besides DFW, Denver International and St. Louis Lambert.

Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Wichita could work toward a triangle of cities where you avoid those drives to Dallas, Denver and St. Louis with flights to Mexico and areas in South America using OKC WRWA and Tulsa International as alternative co-hubs.

The metros of Oklahoma City (1,459,380), Tulsa (1,034,123) and Wichita (650,039 ) represent over 3.1 million people: this is where you could have a shared co-hub type service using Oklahoma's two major airports.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Or they just leave it as it is.

This sign still existed last time I checked. The Omniplex changed its name in 2007 and the OmniDome has been gone for at least 10 years now. I also don't think the zoo itself mentions BotanicalPark anywhere in its marketing.

Name:	Omniplex.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	18709
    Probably, I was mostly just making a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Probably, I was mostly just making a joke.
    Your joke wasn't too far from the truth. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    ^ ^ ^
    Good point

This is where OKC WWRA and Tusa International need to work together on coordinating international flights where you have an option besides DFW, Denver International and St. Louis Lambert.

Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Wichita could work toward a triangle of cities where you avoid those drives to Dallas, Denver and St. Louis with flights to Mexico and areas in South America using OKC WRWA and Tulsa International as alternative co-hubs.

The metros of Oklahoma City (1,459,380), Tulsa (1,034,123) and Wichita (650,039 ) represent over 3.1 million people: this is where you could have a shared co-hub type service using Oklahoma's two major airports.
    Driving Distances:

c Oklahoma City to Tulsa 107 miles
    b Oklahoma City to Wichita 161 miles
    a Tulsa to Wichita 175 miles
    Wichita to Kansas City, Mo 194 miles

C- Wichita

A-Oklahoma City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B-Tulsa

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

Sun Country Airlines used to do this in OKC. Even had wide body jets like DC-10/MD-11 into OKC.

My guess they are going to drop Will Rogers, the majority of the people living here couldn't tell you anything about him.

So let's guess - 'Oklahoma City International'

Okc-int

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    My guess they are going to drop Will Rogers, the majority of the people living here couldn't tell you anything about him.

So let's guess - 'Oklahoma City International'
    Do you think it's likely that Dulles (IAD) and Hobby (HOB) will have a name change because few know who they were? Did they have a Tony Award winning Broadway musical named after them? Will Rogers is still a famous name all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Do you think it's likely that Dulles (IAD) and Hobby (HOB) will have a name change because few know who they were? Did they have a Tony Award winning Broadway musical named after them? Will Rogers is still a famous name all over the world.
    Just personally I've always thought it odd that an airport in Oklahoma City is named after Will Rogers when he really didn't have a strong connection with OKC. Yes, he's probably top 10 most famous historical Oklahomans but he's really mostly connected with NE Oklahoma - not OKC. I feel like if you want to keep a unique name for the airport name it after someone more closely tied to OKC historically. Jim Thrope would be who I would think is equally or similarly known and was at least born right outside of OKC in Prague and had more ties to Central Oklahoma being Sac and Fox (Central Oklahoma) too while Will Rogers is Cherokee (NE Oklahoma).

Only thing I'd like to see changed at least is the 'World' and at least make it 'International' so that falls in line with major airports. Majority of people are dumb, especially when people outside of Oklahoma think of Oklahoma so I think branding wise that'd be at minimum the best thing. Will Rogers International or Oklahoma City International or Will Rogers Oklahoma City International.

Thread Information