Widgets Magazine
Page 72 of 99 FirstFirst ... 226768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    correct
    And to expand on that, the expansion was set to begin once the airport leased all except 1 gate. The city will not lease out Gate 1 and will keep it "common use" to allow for charters, diversions, or airlines to rent it first come first served "by the turn" (I believe $450 per use up to 4 hours).

This "trigger" was built in to the master plan update around 2007. It was finally triggered in 2015. In 2012, Gate 8, 11, and 12 were vacant.

In 2013 UA leased Gate 11.
    In 2014 AA leased Gate 8.
    In 2015 F9 ended service, vacating Gate 2.
    In 2015 AS began service, leasing Gate 2.
    Gate 1 and 12 remain open, however Gate 1 is the city's gate which leaves Gate 12 as the only leasable gate. The trigger threshold was met and the airport proceeded with expansion in later 2015, I think around October.
    In 2017 F9 resumed service, leasing Gate 12.

Current lease agreements:

Alaska Airlines: 2
    Allegiant Airlines: (no lease agreement, uses city Gate 1)
    American Airlines: 4, 6, 8 (rents 1, 2 for morning bank)
    Delta Air Lines: 20, 22, 24
    Frontier Airlines: 12
    Southwest Airlines: 14, 16, 18
    United Airlines: 3, 5, 9, 10, 11

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And to expand on that, the expansion was set to begin once the airport leased all except 1 gate. The city will not lease out Gate 1 and will keep it "common use" to allow for charters, diversions, or airlines to rent it first come first served "by the turn" (I believe $450 per use up to 4 hours).

This "trigger" was built in to the master plan update around 2007. It was finally triggered in 2015. In 2012, Gate 8, 11, and 12 were vacant.

In 2013 UA leased Gate 11.
    In 2014 AA leased Gate 8.
    In 2015 F9 ended service, vacating Gate 2.
    In 2015 AS began service, leasing Gate 2.
    Gate 1 and 12 remain open, however Gate 1 is the city's gate which leaves Gate 12 as the only leasable gate. The trigger threshold was met and the airport proceeded with expansion in later 2015, I think around October.
    In 2017 F9 resumed service, leasing Gate 12.

Current lease agreements:

Alaska Airlines: 2
    Allegiant Airlines: (no lease agreement, uses city Gate 1)
    American Airlines: 4, 6, 8 (rents 1, 2 for morning bank)
    Delta Air Lines: 20, 22, 24
    Frontier Airlines: 12
    Southwest Airlines: 14, 16, 18
    United Airlines: 3, 5, 9, 10, 11
    as always thanks Catch for all the great information

3. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Interesting United rents the most gates (5) in OKC. Did they get that good of a deal or is/was traffic really that heavy for them? or are /some of the gates too small?

I thought Southwest was by far the busiest airline at OKC (followed by AA) yet they only have 3 gates which turn often (AA has 3-5). Any insight?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

UA used to have a very sizable morning bank consisting of 10 departures within about a 2 hour period. I would expect UA to give at least one gate back as they have scaled back a bit even before COVID.

AA could certainly use another gate. They were renting 2 every morning (by using AS Gate 2 and City gate 1)

If UA were to give up a gate I would ask for 10, and I would move AS to gate 10, and give AA gate 2. That way their ops are all on the west side of the west concourse. (not broken up by the retail in the center)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Expansive public art displays to be featured in expanded airport

Work has started on an $89 million expansion to Will Rogers World Airport and several large pieces of public art will be included in the improvements.

The Oklahoma City Arts Commission will vote on Monday to approve plans by local artist Matt Goad to install multiple terrazzo floor designs as well as etched glass wall.

Goad's proposal won out over five finalists, selected after the Oklahoma City Airport Trust voted to publish a Call to Artists seeking an artist or team of artists to design and oversee installation for integrated works that would be a part of the airport buildout.

Titled OKConnected, the artist statement describes the collective works as “the story of Oklahoma City, designed as a welcome mat for the city's front door: Will Rogers World Airport”.

The largest installation will come in the form of a massive terrazzo floor display in the new section of the lobby that leads to the singular, consolidated security checkpoint. The design calls for colors and shapes that provide a clean and calming experience and depicts scenes from just before and after the founding of Oklahoma City.

The remainder of the project will adorn the new main atrium and gate corridor will the goal of connecting arriving and departing passengers with a sense of place through images of OKC's colorful cultures and industries.

The designs are all round and evoke central-pivot irrigation circles that are common in the Oklahoma landscape.

The centerpiece is the atrium where a 'celebration of Oklahoma City' provides a focal point with a depiction of Will Rogers himself, as well as hospitality, sports, music and entertainment.

The area also includes the curved etched glass wall for the 2nd level walkway.

Assuming approval by the Arts Commission, the airport trust would have final approval of the project.

I was curious so I dug back through the thread to find the art renderings. Should be pretty awesome when complete.

Blog Entries

The latest schedule shows August 25th of this year as the completion date for the airport expansion project.

Flying might even be a reasonable thing to regularly do again by that point.

10. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

pics please!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Just curious, what is that stuff made out of? It says it's poured. Is it an epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Just curious, what is that stuff made out of? It says it's poured. Is it an epoxy?
    Isn't in called terrazzo or something?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Isn't in called terrazzo or something?
    Correct. Pieces are individually laid to create the patterns. It's expensive and time consuming, but it's amazing. It'll also be smooth, unlike the 6"x6" tile all over the existing concourse.

https://www.ntma.com/ (National Terrazzo and Mosaic Association)

Press release:

Major Changes on the Horizon for Retail and Concessions at WRWA
    Will Rogers World Airport and Paradies Lagardčre introduce new retail store and restaurant plan, offering both local and national icons

Oklahoma City, February 8, 2021 - Will Rogers World Airport and award-winning airport concessionaire Paradies Lagardčre, with approval of the Oklahoma City Airport Trust, announce plans to redefine the traveler experience with an array of new retail stores and restaurants. The vision for this effort, originally unveiled through a competitive request for proposals, will deliver 17 new concepts that offer travelers iconic national brands and also established local favorites from the community.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the timeline to unveil the full program will be altered across different phases proportionate to returning passenger levels. Each location will be assessed and executed in a responsible and sustainable manner.

“With this exciting new concession program, nationally recognized brands are expected to come online close to the opening of the Terminal Expansion later this year. Local brands will become available as air travel recovers,” said Mark Kranenburg, Director of Airports. “With the implementation of this new program, we are confident that retail and dining at WRWA will be better than it’s ever been.”

Currently at WRWA, Paradies Lagardčre is operating several proprietary brands. Tuk Tuk Go is a unique and decorative concept offering a fresh, wide assortment of grab and go offerings. Two full-service restaurant/bar concepts are also available, The Grill at OKC and OKC Flight Cantina.

This summer expect the opening of a Tripadvisor retail store, transforming the world’s largest travel website into an energetic travel essentials location. Vino Volo Craft will showcase the airport wine brand’s evolution by offering its award-winning wine program alongside a new selection of inspired craft cocktails.

The iconic Starbucks is planned to open in the Fall as will Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steak Burgers, which has dozens of popular locations across Oklahoma City and was voted to Forbes’ 2019 “America’s Best Franchises” list.

As travel returns, the airport and Paradies Lagardčre, with its business partners Kamber’s at the Airport, LLC, and Plenty Mercantile, LLC, look forward to properly scheduling the remaining lineup of eclectic, exciting locations:

Restaurants
    Elemental Coffee Café, the popular community-driven, small-batch roastery and cafe
    Hatch, Oklahoma City’s next-level breakfast destination
    Osteria, the restaurant and craft bar dedicated classic Italian cuisine
    Tropical Smoothie Café, serving incredible smoothies and wholesome food options

Retail Stores
    Plenty Mercantile, the local gift store that champions sustainability and hospitality
    Tin Lizzie’s, offering a crafted selection of Oklahoma-owned boutiques, artisans and makers
    Oklahoma’s Own News 9 Travel Essentials, showcasing the iconic KWTV News 9
    Corsa featuring Brighton and SPANX, offers top fashion and accessories for any traveler
    iStore Express, the quick stop for the best tech accessories on the market

“The improvements at Will Rogers have been nothing short of extraordinary the last two decades, and the vision presented here by Paradies Lagardčre reflects that evolution,” said Mayor David Holt. “We’re America’s 25th-largest city, we have unique retail, drink and food options, and they deserve to be highlighted at our airport, which is our city’s front door. From the very beginning of this process, Paradies Lagardčre prioritized the concept of highlighting unique local offerings, and I’m delighted with the work they’ve put into it. The concession plan they are advancing will be a love letter to Oklahoma City, and that’s exactly what we deserve. We look forward to this partnership.”

“We greatly appreciate our long-standing partnership with Will Rogers World Airport and applaud their forward-thinking efforts in evolving their overall concessions program to reflect the new reality of today and the future,” said Gregg Paradies, President and CEO of Paradies Lagardčre. “We are confident that our offering of exciting local and national concepts will exceed the expectations of OKC travelers.”

this is fantastic

Blog Entries

really hope it works

Pete, do you know if most of these will open in the new concourse or spread throughout there and the existing facility? I know it says they will open when travel picks up, but wasn't sure if locations known.

^

Hatch is taking over the 405 Grill location.

Not sure about the others.

19. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

That is some dang good food at an airport. Well done.

Will be nice to give travelers a lot of local flavor rather than just chains.

Really looking forward to when this entire renovation is complete and we all feel more comfortable getting on airplanes again.

I am a somewhat frequent flyer and I do not see how all of these could survive at the same time in WRWA. Especially a local coffee place when a Starbucks is also planned?

Right now during the pandemic, the current offerings are for sure pathetic, but this seems incredibly ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I am a somewhat frequent flyer and I do not see how all of these could survive at the same time in WRWA. Especially a local coffee place when a Starbucks is also planned?

Right now during the pandemic, the current offerings are for sure pathetic, but this seems incredibly ambitious.
    It is. I will frequent Elemental EVERY TIME. But if they're competing against SBX, I fear for the long term...

With the expansion, I suspect the two coffee places will be in completely separate areas.

As we all know, people tend to go from security to their gate so depending on where you are headed you will likely only pass one of them, not both.

I'll see if I can get a site plan.

This will be even more exciting if OKC gets all the flights that were planned.

Blog Entries

That were planned pre-covid? Under the impression that the pandemic has set the aviation industry back years?

Thread Information