Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I absolutely hate the idea of traveling domestically with my passport.
    I normally don't do that but I don't see any problem with it. I would rather do that than spend extra money for a passport card.

2. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

But isn't the state already working on getting the new ID layout completed? It basically looks the same as what we have now, they just shuffled things around a bit and did some other little things to it. Once that's done, you would be able to go get a new ID at any time, even if it's not expired. And within a few years, everyone would have the new one anyway because they will have all expired.

As long as OK is doing something, I'll happily go get a new state ID, something that won't cost me $100+ to replace should it be lost, but still not as useless as a passport card.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    But isn't the state already working on getting the new ID layout completed? It basically looks the same as what we have now, they just shuffled things around a bit and did some other little things to it. Once that's done, you would be able to go get a new ID at any time, even if it's not expired. And within a few years, everyone would have the new one anyway because they will have all expired.
    If the current DL isn't expired, will it cost to get the new one? Mine's good until 2017 (I do have a passport, though, so it's not really a problem, just curious).

what a giant pain in the ass, have been under a rock or has this just not been reported very well?

From the article

On Tuesday the Department of Public Safety says because of that law it "is not taking steps to ensure compliance with the federal REAL ID Act, and has not implemented any policy or practice for the purpose of meeting any of the act's requirements."

So it appears they are not working to correct the problem.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Okielahoma!

8. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Hey, at least we really got to make our ideological point and thumb our noses at the federal government! That'll teach 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hey, at least we really got to make our ideological point and thumb our noses at the federal government! That'll teach 'em!
    If you are going to use this tactic, at least make sure it doesn't hurt you more than it hurts the person you are trying to be rebellious against.

The feds probably shrugged, and said "Okkayyy whatever you want."

Can't believe how short sighted we are.

10. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

The term is "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

So what are the odds we finally back down but the transition cost at least two or three times as much as was necessary since it has to be rushed.

Some legislation will get passed once more of the public gets informed but you are right the costs will be astronomically higher

13. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    From the article

On Tuesday the Department of Public Safety says because of that law it "is not taking steps to ensure compliance with the federal REAL ID Act, and has not implemented any policy or practice for the purpose of meeting any of the act's requirements."

So it appears they are not working to correct the problem.
    So were the images posted here of a new layout of the "new" design farcical? I guess we're just getting two different stories and I'm not sure which to believe. I would find it incredibly difficult to believe that the state would not be making any changes if the TSA was going to start denying travel because of this. Maybe a lawyer here can fill us in on whether a state even has the option to not comply with a federal ID law. The way I understood that piece was that if the federal government decided it, the changes trickle down whether the states want them or not...just like with any federal law.

TheTravellers - yes it would cost you to get a new one, just as it costs to renew it (which is basically what you're doing since it starts the expiration clock back over to zero). It's the same as if you lost it and needed to get a new one.

I should also point out that MORE than 1/2 the country is NOT in compliance with this law....far from being just Oklahoma.

Maybe a lawyer here can fill us in on whether a state even has the option to not comply with a federal ID law. The way I understood that piece was that if the federal government decided it, the changes trickle down whether the states want them or not...just like with any federal law.
    States have the right not to comply with Federal guidelines and laws, but there are always consequences. For instance, the drinking age in each state is now 21 because Federal appropriations laws state that, if you want Federal highways moneys, you have to have a drinking age of 21 (if I recall correctly). Same goes with the 0.08 blood alcohol limits now, I believe.

If Oklahoma and other states are willing to deal with the consequences, the Feds will allow it.

Also, according to Newsok's article (REAL ID law may complicate travel for Oklahoma driver's license holders | News OK), only NINE states are out of compliance... not half, and only 6 of those are out of compliance with the Driver's License for air travel portion.

So is there any indication when these signs will go up? I'm excited about this. Isn't a huge change, but glad to see the airport start doing these kinds of things. Should help the airport have a "bigger" feel to it.

16. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I'd be interested to know what the source of information was for the newsok article though. My information may be dated now (i'll concede that for sure), but as of not long ago, it was over 50%. And the list of states that had passed state resolutions to prevent the ID from going into affect was more than 9 as well.

The more i read about the ID, the more I can understand why Oklahoma is so opposed to it. It's FAAAAR more than just shuffle junk around on the ID. It's sort of a combined Bush-era immigration net and also puts a lot of responsibility on the state to provide information to the federal govt (that they dont today) as well as with Canada and Mexico. It's been ruled on a few times and extended a few times as well (i think it was originally supposed to go into effect in 06, then 11). I betcha this one ends up at the supreme court with an injunction before that.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    My passport is going to expire in April, I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the book and card and use the card for domestic flights or anything Federal. Then again I also have my FAA PIV card I could use as well. There was an extensive vetting process that I had to go through to get that thing.
    I had an FAA contractor badge before I moved to Austin in 2003, definitely a process to get one. I have been through some others as well, I currently have GSA and DIA contractor badges and getting ready to add AOB and driving privileges to my DIA since I am one of the primary contacts on our DIA on-call contract. All of them had the FBI background checks to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If $30 isn't important to you, I understand. I've been in the travel business for over 25 years though and I would never recommend that to my customers. I almost always encourage them to get a passport and not a card. Just as a point of interest though, how is wearing a shirt with no pocket more comfortable? I always want a shirt with a pocket when I travel and have never noticed it being uncomfortable. I know that is just a little off topic to Will Rogers World Airport. LOL
    I'm not a fan of pockets on shirts either, just something I don't like about them.

Atlantic filed today for $1.5 Million 110,000 square foot building permit for extension of their ramp area.

While I don't know for sure where the expansion will be; it will most likely be this area to the south, highlighted, as those dimensions match 110,000 square feet and fits well on their leased property.

Do you know why they would need that?

Just more ramp space. They have been bidding for charter work lately, have seen the occasional A319 and 737 over there. Plus they tend to do a lot of business anyway with Corporate aviation and general aviation. This is ramp space not a hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Just more ramp space. They have been bidding for charter work lately, have seen the occasional A319 and 737 over there. Plus they tend to do a lot of business anyway with Corporate aviation and general aviation. This is ramp space not a hangar.
    I understand that it is ramp space. I just don't understand why it is worth that much money to them because I don't know how their operation works.

Well they are a national company, they can afford to buy that much concrete. Going off memory, I believe their initial cost for their KOKC operation was $28 million. So this is a 5% investment on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Well they are a national company, they can afford to buy that much concrete. Going off memory, I believe their initial cost for their KOKC operation was $28 million. So this is a 5% investment on top of that.
    I'm not questioning that they can afford it. I'm just wondering why more ramp space is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not questioning that they can afford it. I'm just wondering why more ramp space is needed.
    I agree with you man. That's concrete that could go to my 20 lane highway I want I35 to be transformed into

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree with you man. That's concrete that could go to my 20 lane highway I want I35 to be transformed into
    Or not.

Thread Information