Widgets Magazine
Page 83 of 99 FirstFirst ... 337879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I got to check out the airport this past weekend. The new entry is very nice. I do feel like the entry into security area feels like you are going the wrong way. The new bathrooms and gates in this area make the rest of the airport ancient.

I flew out of a United gate at the very end of the terminal so I had the furthest walk possible. I timed the walk and it was under 5 minutes walking at a very slow/casual pace.

That fits with it being a quarter mile distance.

3. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Oh good, that's not bad at all. Hopefully they are alert to those who might find that walk daunting (such as my grandmother) and have wheelchairs available.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Oh good, that's not bad at all. Hopefully they are alert to those who might find that walk daunting (such as my grandmother) and have wheelchairs available.
    Wheelchair or other similar types of transportation are always available at every airport upon request. However, it's best to make that request when making reservations.

Does will Rodgers have those electric golf cart looking things riding around? Seems like the terminal will soon get close to needing some

Blog Entries

7. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

As someone who has flown in and out of there a few times since renovations, they are going to have to add some sort of newer, bigger signage for the exit. I've seen so many people walk by and then get real confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    As someone who has flown in and out of there a few times since renovations, they are going to have to add some sort of newer, bigger signage for the exit. I've seen so many people walk by and then get real confused.
    Fully agree.

They will need to add another exit or two.

flew in and out of OKC a few weeks ago. Southwest to Hawaii.

got there and kids were hungry and Freddy's would have been a lifesaver if it was open. There wasn't much to choose from unless you wanted to sit down and eat at the grill or the mexican restaurant (but the mexican restaurant was all the way on the other end)

On the return flight I think it was gate 18 and the sign above as you exited the plane said baggage claim and there was a piece of paper covering what was up there to show it was to the right and not the left.

nice to not have to drive to dallas but otherwise there was a lot left to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Seems like the old TSA is the only part of the -old- part of the airport being remodeled, they're installing the 1 way doors, a greeters area and flight displays in the space, give it time and we'll have our old exit back, I'd hope it'd be open for the holiday flight season

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Anybody know what the plan is for the original Delta gates? Still blows my mind Delta was given the entire new wing.

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but it looks like the only airport hotel is set to be demolished. It was a Sheraton Four Points and was downgraded to Quality Inn. It has been closed since March of 2020.

Peter Holmes of Hotel Broker One: "It's highly unlikely we will see a hotel built on airport grounds after this mainly due to FAA restrictions. It doesn’t appear our airport is highly motivated to have a hotel when we have a lot of hotels nearby.”

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...el/6441874001/

I had friends stay there back when it was a Sheraton, and it was in embarrassing condition at that time. Since that horrible experience they always stay down Meridian and had much better experiences with a couple of those hotels.

That old run-down place needed to go.

There are 30 hotels very nearby, all much nicer. It had become an embarrassing eyesore.

The FAA restrictions excuse is a common theme around airports, the reality is it’s just not true in most cases. The FAA will require a review of tower sight lines and runway clearance zones but it is often just that - a review. People are afraid to deal with the FAA when in reality the FAA is not as much of a burden as they seem from the outside.

There are plenty of airports with large hotels on property. All of them were built with the FAA’s assistance in not interfering with air traffic. It’s just an easy excuse to shift blame to the “big bad bureaucracy”.

^

With the surge in nearby hotels, you'd think the airport trust would want the revenue from ground-leasing to an operator that would love to be that close to the airport.

I understand wanting to scrap this old, crappy facility but wonder why they wouldn't pursue another chain, especially since they have been working so hard to generate revenue through all the development along Portland.

Is there a source from the airport trust themselves saying no plans for any replacement hotel? Maybe the article has more details but it'd be nice to have something a little more local that whoever Peter Holmes of Hotel Broker One is.

I'm sure a hotel will be built near the airport in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Is there a source from the airport trust themselves saying no plans for any replacement hotel? Maybe the article has more details but it'd be nice to have something a little more local that whoever Peter Holmes of Hotel Broker One is.
    Should have included the entire quote: “We wanted to see it remain a hotel,” Holmes said. “We think a hotel at the airport is beneficial. It's highly unlikely we will see a hotel built on airport grounds after this mainly due to FAA restrictions. It doesn’t appear our airport is highly motivated to have a hotel when we have a lot of hotels nearby.”

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The FAA restrictions excuse is a common theme around airports, the reality is it’s just not true in most cases. The FAA will require a review of tower sight lines and runway clearance zones but it is often just that - a review. People are afraid to deal with the FAA when in reality the FAA is not as much of a burden as they seem from the outside.

There are plenty of airports with large hotels on property. All of them were built with the FAA’s assistance in not interfering with air traffic. It’s just an easy excuse to shift blame to the “big bad bureaucracy”.
    It’s too bad that height is supposedly the main issue/excuse holding it back with the FAA. If only the airport sat on a massive amount of empty land, owned by the airport trust, that could be used to spread the footprint out and reduce the building height. Though with such high density development out there, land has to be at a premium…………….

Blog Entries

You'd think a (nicer) hotel on airport grounds would also help with FAA visitors

22. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

it's a missed opportunity that OKC didn't build an in-terminal hotel with the expansion. Nothing huge but a 100-150 room in terminal hotel would have been a HUGE complement to the expansion and would NOT have interfered with any FAA sights requirements and likely wouldn't have cost much (esp at the time).

I agree with Catch - probably time for OKC to get a taller tower if there's "concern" about the airport adding an on-grounds hotel or two. I think there's already plenty of space for new hotels to be built on Meridian near the FAA tower, where the rental cars used to be (I believe it's covered waiting area now).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how you'd make a hotel fit into the design, considering the future expansion that is planned.

24. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

yes, I agree it's a missed opportunity for a terminal hotel.

But I'm now recommending a couple of hotels be built near the FAA control tower along Meridian at the old rental car lots. That would be close enough to the terminal and you'd have incredible views of the airside. And since it's close to the tower you probably could get away with about 6 floors or so - or if perhaps they need a taller/bigger tower while we're at it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Saw a news post today that said the Tropical Smoothie Cafe is now open

Thread Information