Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Some more shots of the progress on the Cluster Fudge that will be the new checked baggage system. This will be a terrible system. It's too large for the current terminal building. It barely fits. As I mentioned, we will only be able to get one tug with two carts through here now. We used to be able to get 4-5, and industry standard for most modern airports supports a turning radius of 6 carts. Ridiculous.

2. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

catch22, has anyone voiced your team's concerns with the airport management?

Old news. This is the 3rd Saturday in a row. United borrowed Gate 24 from a delta for the last flight on the two previous outages.

The airport is about to get new signage; this includes the roadways leading to the terminal, the terminal and concourse themselves, and parking areas.

Here are a few screenshots:

The full presentation can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.as...fileid=2450711

Personally, I love it. The current signage sucks both from a visual standpoint and a functional standpoint. This has a modern look, while fitting in architecturally. This will also include more signs than are present now, which will help visitors and people who are unfamiliar with the layout.

6. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Can't say that I had any problems with the internal signs, but glad to see the external ones changing. The old ones always reminded me of the 80s or something. I mean it's not O'Hare, the layout doesn't take 5 minutes to figure out.

I get asked all the time for help getting around. People from out of town don't automatically know where to go and the signage is pretty vague. It doesn't help that the secured area exits out to the departures level and not the arrivals level. I see people waiting all the time on the upper deck thinking that is where they are to be picked up. Only to see them frustratedly talking on the phone and realize they are on the upper deck.

8. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

This actually brings it in line with what I've seen at other airports around the country, namely ATL, IAH and HOU to name a few.

Much better than the white on blue reflective film road signs that they use in Louisville (SDF), we tried to get those changed but they won't be until some other projects are completed.

Now perhaps I missed it, but any idea when they will install these signs? I noticed they were just listed as conceptual so I didn't know how close this was to actually happening.

Slightly off-topic, but how does everyone think the fact that airports will no longer accept Oklahoma drivers licenses as of 2016 will affect WRWA? Is it possible more people may fly in and out of DFW and simply drive into OKC rather than use the local airport?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but how does everyone think the fact that airports will no longer accept Oklahoma drivers licenses as of 2016 will affect WRWA? Is it possible more people may fly in and out of DFW and simply drive into OKC rather than use the local airport?
    Unless I misread the article, it's the actual licenses that are the problem. Driving to DFW won't help if you have an Oklahoma DL. I'll be able to use WRWA just fine with my Texas DL.

Blog Entries

Who is the signage vendor?

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Unless I misread the article, it's the actual licenses that are the problem. Driving to DFW won't help if you have an Oklahoma DL. I'll be able to use WRWA just fine with my Texas DL.
    That is absolutely correct. Driving to DFW won't change a thing.

15. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

My passport is going to expire in April, I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the book and card and use the card for domestic flights or anything Federal. Then again I also have my FAA PIV card I could use as well. There was an extensive vetting process that I had to go through to get that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    My passport is going to expire in April, I think I am going to go ahead and purchase the book and card and use the card for domestic flights or anything Federal. Then again I also have my FAA PIV card I could use as well. There was an extensive vetting process that I had to go through to get that thing.
    Why would you want to pay for both when the passport will work for any destination?

17. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Why would you want to pay for both when the passport will work for any destination?
    The card will not work for international flights, only land border crossings but will fit in my wallet to show as ID for domestic flights.

The card will not work for international flights, only land border crossings but will fit in my wallet to show as ID for domestic flights.
    I understand what the card works for but paying for both doesn't seem logical to me if you're concerned that your driver's license won't work. You can certainly do that but a passport takes up no more room than a phone and mine fits easily in my shirt pocket when I travel and I don't have to get my wallet out of my pocket.

19. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I understand what the card works for but paying for both doesn't seem logical to me if you're concerned that your driver's license won't work. You can certainly do that but a passport takes up no more room than a phone and mine fits easily in my shirt pocket when I travel and I don't have to get my wallet out of my pocket.
    I could put it in my pants or coat pocket, when I travel I am usually wearing a shirt with no pockets out of comfort. I guess when I am already spending $110 for a passport another $30 doesn't make that much difference to have the card as well. In the grand scheme of things it is one of the least of the expenses to travel internationally.

I could put it in my pants or coat pocket, when I travel I am usually wearing a shirt with no pockets out of comfort. I guess when I am already spending $110 for a passport another $30 doesn't make that much difference to have the card as well. In the grand scheme of things it is one of the least of the expenses to travel internationally.
    If $30 isn't important to you, I understand. I've been in the travel business for over 25 years though and I would never recommend that to my customers. I almost always encourage them to get a passport and not a card. Just as a point of interest though, how is wearing a shirt with no pocket more comfortable? I always want a shirt with a pocket when I travel and have never noticed it being uncomfortable. I know that is just a little off topic to Will Rogers World Airport. LOL

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Can you explain this a little?

22. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Can you explain this a little?
    OK Driver's Licenses Not Secure; Will No Longer Be Accepted In C - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

OKLAHOMA CITY - If you rely on your Oklahoma Driver's license to get into a secure area like a federal building or an airplane, things will be changing. Oklahoma is one of a handful of states that hasn't complied with a federal mandate to make our driver's licenses more secure.
    Beginning in 2015, you won't be able to use your Oklahoma Driver's license as an ID to get through security at federal buildings. And in 2016 you won't be able to use it at the airport either.

“You would be required to have a driver's license and a passport or some other federal ID to actually go through the TSA checkpoint or fly on a commercial aircraft,” explained Karen Carney, spokeswoman with the Will Rogers World Airport.

That's because back in 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act that would make it harder for terrorists to get fake ID's. But in 2007, Oklahoma passed a law forbidding compliance with the act.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

If $30 isn't important to you, I understand. I've been in the travel business for over 25 years though and I would never recommend that to my customers. I almost always encourage them to get a passport and not a card. Just as a point of interest though, how is wearing a shirt with no pocket more comfortable? I always want a shirt with a pocket when I travel and have never noticed it being uncomfortable. I know that is just a little off topic to Will Rogers World Airport. LOL
    I am a t-shirt kind of guy, don't usually wear button up shirts or polos except polos at work on the days requiring it. I also don't feel comfortable putting anything in a shirt pocket because I am afraid it would fall out. On air flights I am the one wearing sweats or something close to it. I haven't fully decided on getting the card yet, but I just figured it would be more convenient because I could keep it in my wallet and it would be on my person at all times vs a passport book which is something I would be storing in my safe except for those rare international travels.

I am a t-shirt kind of guy, don't usually wear button up shirts or polos except polos at work on the days requiring it. I also don't feel comfortable putting anything in a shirt pocket because I am afraid it would fall out. On air flights I am the one wearing sweats or something close to it. I haven't fully decided on getting the card yet, but I just figured it would be more convenient because I could keep it in my wallet and it would be on my person at all times vs a passport book which is something I would be storing in my safe except for those rare international travels.
    As I said, if you're comfortable with that and aren't worried about the extra cost, I understand. It's just not something I would recommend to most people. I've never put anything in my shirt pocket when I'm traveling that fell out so I can't relate to that fear. I don't worry about anything falling out of a shirt pocket more than falling out of a pant's pocket. In fact, I feel more comfortable with being in control of something in my shirt pocket than a pant's pocket.

I absolutely hate the idea of traveling domestically with my passport.

Thread Information