Widgets Magazine
Page 71 of 99 FirstFirst ... 216667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I read today they’re not putting the new signs up on Meridian.

Blog Entries

Views of the inside of the terminal expansion from the artist Matt Goad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAD2oxNB9xL/

Great find, Shawn. Looking good and coming along nicely.

Some photos from Timberlake construction:

AAR closing Duluth, MN maintenance base

https://www.startribune.com/aar-clos...obs/570656972/

Hopefully OKC doesn't see a similar fate, the MRO business is currently being shaken apart. OKC might see some additional work with the consolidation, though which would be good. I can't remember what Duluth specialized in, I think Airbus narrowbody landing gear overhaul and passenger cabin refits/refurb. AAR at OKC is primarily used for Boeing 737, Bombardier CRJ, and Embraer E170 series airframe overhaul and inspections. Hopefully some spillover can increase the scope of work in OKC. AAR opening an Airbus line here would be tremendous once things pick back up. But that is wishful thinking on my part.

6. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Sorry to hear for the people in Duluth.
    -----
    “The Duluth facility’s equipment will be transferred to other AAR maintenance, repair and overhaul stations.”

The company has four other similar locations in U.S. and two in Canada.

7. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    AAR closing Duluth, MN maintenance base

https://www.startribune.com/aar-clos...obs/570656972/

Hopefully OKC doesn't see a similar fate, the MRO business is currently being shaken apart. OKC might see some additional work with the consolidation, though which would be good. I can't remember what Duluth specialized in, I think Airbus narrowbody landing gear overhaul and passenger cabin refits/refurb. AAR at OKC is primarily used for Boeing 737, Bombardier CRJ, and Embraer E170 series airframe overhaul and inspections. Hopefully some spillover can increase the scope of work in OKC. AAR opening an Airbus line here would be tremendous once things pick back up. But that is wishful thinking on my part.
    I thought I read AA was retiring their Bombardier CRJs effectively immediately. Is that correct, and would it affect our maintenance facility?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I thought I read AA was retiring their Bombardier CRJs effectively immediately. Is that correct, and would it affect our maintenance facility?
    AAR is not related to AA - not sure about their CRJs but like United, I could see them holding on to some. The CRJ-700 is the only commercial jet airplane certified to operate into Aspen and a few other mountain towns. Those flights are cash cows and are worth keeping a small fleet of CRJs.

Press release:

For Immediate Release: June 15, 2020

TERMINAL DRIVE CELL PHONE WAITING AREA OPENS
    New Location Improves Access to Terminal

OKLAHOMA CITY, June 15, 2020 – Last week, construction crews put the final touches on a new cell phone waiting area at Will Rogers World Airport. The new area provides 195 parking spaces, improved access to and from Terminal Drive, LED lighting for enhanced visibility, as well as a flow-through design that maximizes parking and means drivers never have to back in or out of a parking space.

Signage on southbound Terminal Drive will direct drivers to the new waiting area. The entrance is just south of the Amelia Earhart Lane intersection.

The cell phone waiting area is not only a convenient amenity, it helps to improve traffic circulation at the terminal. More cars in the waiting area usually translates to less congestion in the lanes next to the building. And because city ordinance designates the terminal curbside for active loading and unloading only, use of the waiting area also helps drivers avoid a citation.

A quick reminder, proper use of a cell phone waiting area means receiving a passenger’s call or text from the curb before approaching the terminal. The passenger should always be ready to load in the vehicle as soon as the driver arrives.

The concept of a cell phone waiting area originated after 9/11 when parking curbside at the terminal was no longer permitted. The original area was located on Terminal Drive and quickly exceeded capacity. A parking lot just north of the air traffic control tower became the temporary location while the airport planned and constructed the new Terminal Drive waiting area. Returning access to Terminal Drive was an important goal of the project for user convenience and accessibility.

Construction of the project began in November 2019 and total costs were $872,235.35. The contractor was A-Tech Paving. Kimley-Horn & Associates, Inc., designed and engineered the project.

The Cab drivers sure are not back or did they move them else where. That lot has been empty for months now.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Views of the inside of the terminal expansion from the artist Matt Goad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAD2oxNB9xL/
    I am not too impressed with the design and I did not think they needed a expansion since it is already a nice airport but I am probably the only one who thinks that

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I am not too impressed with the design and I did not think they needed a expansion since it is already a nice airport but I am probably the only one who thinks that
    Pre-covid there was decent arguments for adding more gates and reworking the security setup (ours was just in the process of being upgraded before 9/11 security standards would exist). The option of moving international travel services up a tier depends on if the numbers they had were indicating they could get that type of in the near future or already had some interest from a provider(s) in the works.

Though some of the aesthetic styling seems oddly dated, like 60s or 70s era style that did not age well being rehashed. I wish they would have kept to the style of the rest of the building.

The expansion was due to rising demand and not about making the airport look cooler. I agree with Snowman, would be nice if they had stuck with the original architecture. This mismatched look will be kinda strange

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The expansion was due to rising demand and not about making the airport look cooler. I agree with Snowman, would be nice if they had stuck with the original architecture. This mismatched look will be kinda strange
    Were there any plans or drawings of the expansion with the original architecture elements, or are you saying you wish the expansion was designed with the original architecture of the existing terminal building?

Did they move the Cab staging area elsewhere? Work near there that when i go stretch my legs i can kind of see it but I never see a cab there anymore. however i can see other cars in there all the time after about 6PM. Been wondering what is going on.

The have all the glass in and are now moving on to finishing the interior.

These are from the FSB FB page:

Looks great.

I guess that’s one upside, they are able to complete this work during a very low-impact time on travel...

Looks nice so far. Hopefully there'll be a reason to use it by the time it's completed...

Which, speaking of, when is the ETA on when this will be finished?

I am not sure why it needs an expansion, the airport is nice enough but I saw the design a few pages back and I am not too impressed, it is too busy, that is just my opinion

Blog Entries

It's so we can have an international capable terminal/gates.

But also the publicly accessible observation deck will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's so we can have an international capable terminal/gates.

But also the publicly accessible observation deck will be great.
    That makes sense, I guess that is good but I wish the design is not too busy, oh well

They were also running out gates before COVID, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They were also running out gates before COVID, no?
    correct

One of the biggest improvements will be a huge new security area.

9/11 happened after the last airport renovation and thus they had to improvise what we have now, which is cramped and inefficient.

This new area will be massive and should allow for much faster security checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One of the biggest improvements will be a huge new security area.

9/11 happened after the last airport renovation and thus they had to improvise what we have now, which is cramped and inefficient.

This new area will be massive and should allow for much faster security checks.
    Remember when security area was actually in the terminal across from that glassed in bar? The whole thing was carpeted? I think there were ficus trees? Crazy times.
    Glad to see a bigger security area. Needs a dedicated precheck global TSA lane at some point in the future.

Thread Information