Widgets Magazine
Page 66 of 99 FirstFirst ... 166162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2452

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Oh ok got it - so it's better to go after completely trivial issues like a t-shirt because they're quick fixes, and neglect the actual problems ... solid logic there.

Anyway thanks for sharing the photos above, Pete! Those look like some looong jet bridges at the new gates - not quite Heathrow-esque, but close!
    What actual problems is Holt neglecting?

They added space counters and arrows to the long term garage. They point you in the direction of open spaces and # of spaces. Great feature.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    They added space counters and arrows to the long term garage. They point you in the direction of open spaces and # of spaces. Great feature.
    Yes! I was happy to see that in place when I parked Sunday morning.

Expansive public art displays to be featured in expanded airport

Work has started on an $89 million expansion to Will Rogers World Airport and several large pieces of public art will be included in the improvements.

The Oklahoma City Arts Commission will vote on Monday to approve plans by local artist Matt Goad to install multiple terrazzo floor designs as well as etched glass wall.

Goad's proposal won out over five finalists, selected after the Oklahoma City Airport Trust voted to publish a Call to Artists seeking an artist or team of artists to design and oversee installation for integrated works that would be a part of the airport buildout.

Titled OKConnected, the artist statement describes the collective works as “the story of Oklahoma City, designed as a welcome mat for the city's front door: Will Rogers World Airport”.

The largest installation will come in the form of a massive terrazzo floor display in the new section of the lobby that leads to the singular, consolidated security checkpoint. The design calls for colors and shapes that provide a clean and calming experience and depicts scenes from just before and after the founding of Oklahoma City.

The remainder of the project will adorn the new main atrium and gate corridor will the goal of connecting arriving and departing passengers with a sense of place through images of OKC's colorful cultures and industries.

The designs are all round and evoke central-pivot irrigation circles that are common in the Oklahoma landscape.

The centerpiece is the atrium where a 'celebration of Oklahoma City' provides a focal point with a depiction of Will Rogers himself, as well as hospitality, sports, music and entertainment.

The area also includes the curved etched glass wall for the 2nd level walkway.

Assuming approval by the Arts Commission, the airport trust would have final approval of the project.

^ This is awesome- very happy for Matt. Really enjoy his art and his style should translate really well to terrazzo. The renderings look great! And glad the airport chose a local artist - his instagram post said all of the other finalists were out of state/out of country.

The monochrome circle pieces are nice. That main big area is bad IMO. It's way to busy and since it's so massive, when you are walking on it you aren't going to know what it's even depicting.

Looks great! Wish they would remodel the rest of the concourse and get rid of the noisy tile with that smooth flooring like that.

I love it.

9. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I like those too!

Cool! Reminds me a bit of Love Field’s security area.

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I was thinking the same thing catch, hope they can somehow integrate the art in the older areas and that this doesn't end-up looking like two airports.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    The monochrome circle pieces are nice. That main big area is bad IMO. It's way to busy and since it's so massive, when you are walking on it you aren't going to know what it's even depicting.
    This is the area where the elevated walkway to the observation deck will be, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    This is the area where the elevated walkway to the observation deck will be, if I recall correctly.
    Yes, and from above the full piece can be viewed.

Does Will Rogers(or any OKC airport) have any flights that would necessitate a layover? There was a user on another website telling a story about how he had a layover in OKC and I was under the impression that OKC is an end or start point only and has been for sometime if not always. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by stdennis View Post
    Does Will Rogers(or any OKC airport) have any flights that would necessitate a layover? There was a user on another website telling a story about how he had a layover in OKC and I was under the impression that OKC is an end or start point only and has been for sometime if not always. Is this correct?
    That's not true at all. OKC just isn't a hub. That doesn't mean you may find a flight that arrives in OKC and your able to take another flight to another city from OKC. There would definitely be more options for someone arriving at a hub facility though.

16. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Southwest has layovers for continuation flights. Delta and United used to.

This is beautiful work! I long exposure or timelapse from overhead would be a great way to photograph the works when completed.

18. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's not true at all. OKC just isn't a hub. That doesn't mean you may find a flight that arrives in OKC and your able to take another flight to another city from OKC. There would definitely be more options for someone arriving at a hub facility though.
    JN, you don’t need to be a hub to have layovers and OKC certainly used to have many. Delta used to run ATL-OKC-TUL then back and United had similarly. Southwest frequently had layovers in OKC before DAL’s scope expanded; I’m sure WN still has a few layovers in OKC for continuation flights - they just may not be a disembark. I’d also argue that Frontier’s flights to Florida from OKC May be continuations originating from DEN.

United sells iteneraries IAH-OKC-DEN for what it’s worth. There’s usually a handful of connections every day on that pair.

A few years ago, before I moved to OKC, I was flying from ORD-DFW and they had me connect in OKC.

So yes, connections do exist.

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

^ and the connections/layovers exist despite OKC not being a hub for any airline currently. ...

I was curious about this maybe a month ago, and found you can take a DCA to DAL itinerary with a changing planes connection in OKC.

Press release:

For Immediate Release: March 28, 2019

Airport Trust Approves Local Artist for Terminal Expansion Art Project

OKLAHOMA CITY, March 28, 2019 – The Oklahoma City Airport Trust today approved and authorized the negotiation of an agreement with local artist Matt Goad for the Public Art Project that will be part of the Will Rogers World Airport Terminal Expansion Project.

“I’m extremely honored to be selected for this important project which will represent the city I love and call home,” says Matt Goad. “Oklahoma City and its heritage offers an amazing “whirlwind” of stories. I’m grateful for the opportunity to bring those stories to visitors of the airport.”

“One of the key goals of a public art project in the airport is to create a ‘sense of place,’ said Mark Kranenburg, airports director. “OKConnected” establishes a strong identity with our community. It will be a signature piece for our airport and for Oklahoma City.”

The vote today was the culmination of a months-long process that began in August 2018 when a “Call to Artists” was issued by the Trust. The Call sought a professional artist or team of artists to design, and oversee installation of architecturally-integrated works for two specific sites in the terminal expansion project. Site one is the terrazzo flooring located in the new lobby area in front of the new security checkpoint. Site two is a public circulation area located on the mezzanine level and where a glass wall extends the length of the access corridor and seating area.

Thirty-five complete entries from national and international artists were received. A six-member selection jury representing the Trust, architect, Oklahoma City Arts Commission, professional artists, airport and airport stakeholders, conducted a blind-review of all the submissions and short-listed five finalists. The finalists attended a mandatory meeting in Oklahoma City to learn more about the project and the community. The finalists presented their designs to the jury on February 25, 2019. Based on criteria outlined in the solicitation, “OKConnected” by Matt Goad was determined to best meet the criteria for both locations of the project. The selection was reviewed by the Oklahoma City Arts Commission which approved the jury’s recommendation to the Trust.

Goad’s winning design, entitled “OKConnected”, tells the story of OKC’s unique beginnings then bridges to the present celebrating the City’s colorful cultures and industries.

“OKConnected is the story of Oklahoma City, designed as a welcome mat for the city’s front door: Will Rogers World Airport,” says Goad. “Here, the concept of connection is more than the typical connotation one might have with an airport. More than merely people to places. It’s a connection of past to present, of present to future, and of earth to sky. A connection of Oklahoma City to the world.”

Goad will work closely with the airport, architect and general contractor to finalize the design and oversee the installation. Completion of both projects is expected to be second quarter of 2021.

They held a media event today to officially kick-off the terminal expansion project.

They also distributed this animation, which really helps you see how this will look and flow.

okay. that makes way more sense to me now... for some reason through all of this, i was under the impression that the waiting area was for passengers, but it's for people waiting to pick up... don't know how i got confused on that. but glad i finally have it clear now

Thread Information