Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Midtowner, I didn't notice them when I was there. Can you describe the tacos cavillo?
    I guess they're pretty similar to street tacos. The meat is an extremely well marinated steak, extremely tender and well seasoned. The portions are generous--enough for two people. You also get lots of veggies and IIRC, grilled onions and a couple of sauces.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis@OKC View Post
    We love Zapata Grill on S. Meridian near Shepplers. Authentic Mexican & wonderful family-owned business. Say Hi to Lucia (mgr).
    This is a good place too, but it's been a while since we have been there. If it is the same management it is same person who opened Las Marachies (I think I spelled that wrong) on 39th and Portland.

OSUMom: Is that the place that was originally a Burger King that is now Route 66 Pizza (Pizza Inn without the Pizza Inn logo)?

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Last year I had breakfast at Maude's in Austin. Breakfast burritos. It was very good but OMG, that was a lot of food!

So, is Maude's representative of what people in Mexico have for breakfast?
    No, not very Mexican, but their Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas are about as good as you'll find anywhere. Maudie's is outstanding Tex-Mex food!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    As a Vietnamese person who grew up in what is a surprisingly good Vietnamese food enclave, the rule of thumb for good ethnic food is very simple: If there's more of you than them it's probably not a good sign. It may still be good, but it most likely will not be authentic or it's so cheap that can be overlooked. The best Vietnamese restaurants in OKC are heavily populated with Vietnamese-American customers. They may not be the most modern, feature the best customer service, or even be the cleanest but the best Vietnamese restaurants in OKC could care less if non-Vietnamese customers approve or not. The best steakhouses in OKC dont' sell Teriyaki chicken or noodle bowls to appeal to Asian clientele and the best Vietnamese restaurants don't sell "crab rangoon". Being Vietnamese-owned does not guarantee authenticity or quality. Authenticity doesn't always pay the bills. Whatever sells or is available often pays the bills. There are a litany of "asian standards" that are not remotely close to Asian or tempered to be more approachable. If you don't believe this, go to Lido. It's one of the oldest Vietnamese restaurants in OKC but is overwhelmingly patronized by non-Vietnamese unless it's for a wedding.

(Do some Vietnamese go there? Of course, but many Vietnamese go to Pizza Hut. Also by more or most I literally mean more or most. A clientele of 10%, 20%, %30, etc Vietnamese customers is not most.)

If you want good Mexican, go where they go, not where you want to go. Keep in mind Mexico is a huge country not unlike the US. Food is very different from region to region just like the US. Oaxacan tacos often feature crickets and Baja often features seafood. Complimentary chips & queso is not a standard item.
    Great comments. Most of the ethnic restaurants in OKC copy what other ethnic restaurants are "selling." There are some notable and delicious exceptions. Why is this? Because these are people trying to open a business to make money, and they are afraid to offer food that is "too authentic" or outside the expectations of OKC diners.

Some of the truly authentic Mexican restaurants now offer free queso, even though it is not authentic nor something they prepare very well simply to fit in with the other restaurants.

It's funny but on my last two trips to Mexico (in different regions) there were restaurants advertising "Tex Mex" cuisine. I guess they got sick of Americans demanding Tex-Mex-style enchis and tacos and just decided to serve Tex-Mex instead of real Mexican food. I love Tex-Mex but find this sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    OSUMom: Is that the place that was originally a Burger King that is now Route 66 Pizza (Pizza Inn without the Pizza Inn logo)?
    Yes. I don't know what happened but the owner must of sold it to someone else and opened up Zapata's over on S. Meridian. It didn't last too long after that.

Our personal favorite is San Marcos on SW 59th. Not only is the food excellent [best salsa I've personally ever had], the service is excellent, the employees are very friendly, the prices are reasonable [we only go for lunch, though], the restaurant is clean with colorful decor, but they also offer a "frequent eater" card--after 4 meals, the 5th is free. For we retirees on a fixed income that is great.

We've recommended it to a number of folks. Only drawback for some perhaps is that they don't serve liquor, just beer, if you like those beverages with your meal.

1. Tarahumaras (Norman)
    2. Mama Rojas (OKC)
    3. Los Dos Amigos (Norman)

A month ago I went to Chelino's on Meridian. It wasn't great. Not the worst experience, but the service was weak, the food wasn't tasty, the queso was really salty... not up to the standard I'd come to expect from Chelino's.

Yesterday my dad came through town on his way home to New Mexico, and wanted to get Chelino's. We went to the one on May... talk about a 180. The food was great, the service was AMAZING, and the queso was addictive. I like THAT Chelino's. They need to work on the quality control because there shouldn't be that big of a difference.

Tacos el panchos at Los Vaqueros is my absolute favorite Mexican meal in the OKC area.

Really enjoyed Tamazul. It's the new interior Mexican concept with Chef Ryan Parrot. Not enough time to review yet but it was absolutely excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Really enjoyed Tamazul. It's the new interior Mexican concept with Chef Ryan Parrot. Not enough time to review yet but it was absolutely excellent.
    Look forward to hearing more about it and glad to hear first impressions were good.

It certainly looks like it has all the ingredients for success.

OKC's restaurant game has definitely been raised substantially just in the last few years and it seems the trend is accelerating.

Im surprised no one has mentioned three tequilas in Edmond. Weve been several times and each time the food was excellent and in my opinion much better then Teds.
    The queso is second to none in my book and the salsa gets a high rating as well. Also order the extra hot salsa if your feeling courageous.
    3 Tequilas - Original Edmond - Edmond | Urbanspoon

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Look forward to hearing more about it and glad to hear first impressions were good.

It certainly looks like it has all the ingredients for success.

OKC's restaurant game has definitely been raised substantially just in the last few years and it seems the trend is accelerating.
    Yes, my brother in law made the comment at dinner tonight. So many high quality dining options coming online, even in the last year or two. It's great for diners; could be tough for restaurateurs, however. I'm sure there will be some good concepts that don't make it due to there being a lot more competition.

Which, of course, is what happens in good restaurant cities everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes, my brother in law made the comment at dinner tonight. So many high quality dining options coming online, even in the last year or two. It's great for diners; could be tough for restaurateurs, however. I'm sure there will be some good concepts that don't make it due to there being a lot more competition.
    I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I believe it's a great sign for our economy in general. Speaking for myself, when times are tough the first thing I cut is dining out.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    1. Tarahumaras (Norman)
    2. Mama Rojas (OKC)
    Can't speak for 1 or 3 but mama roja may be the fakest restaurant in this city. Just terrible. I've had hospital cafeteria food that's more flavorful. It's definitely a "Mexican restaurant" that isn't frequently by Mexicans, as a poster above was alluding to.

Able's is my favorite. The enchiladas are so-so but the dinners are pretty awesome. The palo alto and guisado are tasty business.

Chuy's for the win. It's one of the Tex-Mex places in Texas I used to frequent, and am happy to see it here. It's Tex-Mex but with some New Mexico spices thrown in for good measure. The creamy jalapeño sauce is to die for. They are perpetually making new chips and tortillas at their tortilla station at the front of the restaurant... Everything is very fresh, and their service and management is just great.

My second favorite is probably 1492 in Midtown. Some of their dishes like their mashed potatoes have a surprising kick to it that sneaks up on you. Also they have a lot of great, more formal dishes that you are just never going to see in Tex-Mex or Okie-Mex places.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    1. Tarahumaras (Norman)
    2. Mama Rojas (OKC)
    Can't speak to Rojas, but big yes on the other two, and Tulio's in Norman as well. Not a fan of the Chelino's here. then again, I am not a fan of any o the Chelino's, except the S. Robinson one just north of SW 44th. Sketchy area, but good food and very cold brew.

wow... didn't know that there were any tulio's still around. -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    wow... didn't know that there were any tulio's still around. -M
    It is in the southern strip of the shopping center that is at SE corner of E Alameda and SE 12th. Tucked away back there behind the Mazzio's and LJS that front 12th street.

24. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

I attempted to go to Tamazul for lunch today. The fire alarm went off (a lot of smoke from the grill), and we decided to walk to Republic since we were on a shorty schedule. For what it's worth the table salsa was good and the menu looked good and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Im surprised no one has mentioned three tequilas in Edmond. Weve been several times and each time the food was excellent and in my opinion much better then Teds.
    The queso is second to none in my book and the salsa gets a high rating as well. Also order the extra hot salsa if your feeling courageous.
    3 Tequilas - Original Edmond - Edmond | Urbanspoon
    Achilles and I don't normally agree on much, but let me second him here. 3 Tequillas on Broadway in Edmond is awesome. I think it used to be a Long John Silver's, so don't expect anythng fancy. I could drink the queso, and the salsa that comes with chips is great. Tortillas are as good as Ted's (thick and made in house).

Great find Achilles!

Thread Information