Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Last year I had breakfast at Maude's in Austin. Breakfast burritos. It was very
    good but OMG, that was a lot of food!

So, is Maude's representative of what people in Mexico have for breakfast?
    I would think they wouldn't eat a lot for breakfast, much like us. Can you
    imagine having a T-bone steak, 2 eggs, potatoes, orange juice and coffee
    every morning?

At any rate, I've noticed, during a tremendous remodel of our home, that
    many Mexicans and Central Americans eat a lot of fruit and juice for lunch.
    Maybe to purge the huge breakfast burrito! LOL!

I can imagine the protein and carb packing if they are going out to "farm" remodeling projects and so forth: A lot of energy up front and something light and refreshing to beat the heat of the day. (i smashed my fingers too many times as a pre-NAFTA carpenter to get really good on guitar =)

I trust that you are making the proper contributions to the Social Security of the workers you are using =)

BTW . . .
    If you see this tag on a truck parked outside of a local dining establishment, you could probably guess it is "authentic" . . .

There's a lot too the old saw of eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Last year I had breakfast at Maude's in Austin. Breakfast burritos. It was very good but OMG, that was a lot of food!

So, is Maude's representative of what people in Mexico have for breakfast?
    Maudie's is pretty good, we would go there or Matt's El Rancho for dinner or weekend lunch. Maudie's is Tex-Mex though and the portions reflect it. Most of the "real Mexican" restaurants that I have been to (in the US) have portions more reminiscent of French restaurants which is probably more in line with how people really eat in Mexico.

My wife is "Texican" (as her dad puts it), they have been in the same area of West Texas for as long as they can trace their ancestry so "Mexican" food was an everyday and every meal staple when cooking at home, even when making items not traditionally "Mexican" like chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes they always had pinto beans and tortillas with their meals. Her nephews are all huge (6'-6"+, 300 pounds or so) and they eat portions according to their size so her perspective on portion size is a bit skewed.

In Austin it's difficuilt to impossible to ascertain parking lot demographics, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    There's a lot too the old saw of eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think that there is a Mexican Proverb regarding that bit of Wisdom involving the importance of ordering dessert first. (I think it was carved into the Mayan Calendar as a sidebar). I'm fairly sure it involved "Dulche de Leche" which loosely translates to "Creme de Brulee ala Caramel" in French. Archeologists speculate that the last thing carved on the Mayan Calendar and repeated on that Aztec Pyramid in Mexico City seems to resemble a Hostess Twinkee and a suggestion that Bimbo is better.

Wow . . . I feel an authentic, DIY Dinner, "Mexican" post coming on . . .

Went by Abel's last night (south May). Not really all that hungry, so it may have been a bad night to try and get a real good impression, but saw them advertising Tacos al Pastor and the picture along with the label was a chunk of meat on a vertical spit that reminded me a LOT of how gyros meat is prepared, so I tried them. The English translation on the menu was marinated pork. Liked it a LOT. You could also get the "al Pastor" treatment on burritos, quesadillas and something else (I forget what).
    I've never heard of Tacos al Pastor before. Does anybody know where they originated? Are they a Sonoran thing? Are they even Mexican? Is there a best place in OKC for 'em? Does anybody make 'em at home? (If so, please share a recipe.)
    RadMod: Have you tried 'em and done anything like it?
    OKCBBQEA: Have you tried 'em? The meat kind of reminded me of Korean BBQ. Does that fit into your wheelhouse at all?
    Chuck Johnson: Have you had these anywhere and liked 'em?
    BBates: What do you think?

Tacos al Pastor are common in Mexico.

Yes, it's basically marinated pork and delicious if done properly!

Abel's might be the best Mexican food in the city...

10. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Had Abel's for the first time a couple weeks ago and I agree, definitely one of the top Mexican restaurants in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    High praise from tuck!

My one experience was at the NW 50th & McArthur location where I stopped just by random chance and loved my meal.

HangryHippo Guest

Is Abel's the place just north of 240 on May over by the airport?

You can get tacos El pastor seasoning at crest. Its by the regular taco seasoning along wirh chicken tingas. Over the years ive gotten more into true Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyone
    Is Abel's the place just north of 240 on May over by the airport?
    yep... a couple blocks north of i-240 on the west side of the street, in an old crockett's smokehouse location. -M

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    yep... a couple blocks north of i-240 on the west side of the street, in an old crockett's smokehouse location. -M
    Thanks. I've driven by lots but never stopped in.

16. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    High praise from tuck!

My one experience was at the NW 50th & McArthur location where I stopped just by random chance and loved my meal.
    Yup, this is where we go. We love it.
    Still corrupting young minds

Abel's has become our go-to Mexican restaurant. Fortunately we live close to the 50th and MacArthur location.

I go to church at St Charles so we go there pretty often as well. We also enjoy Casa Pericos at 63 and Meridian. Those are my two favorites especially since they both have vegetarian options besides cheese enchiladas.

We love Zapata Grill on S. Meridian near Shepplers. Authentic Mexican & wonderful family-owned business. Say Hi to Lucia (mgr).

If true, that's sad.

As a Vietnamese person who grew up in what is a surprisingly good Vietnamese food enclave, the rule of thumb for good ethnic food is very simple: If there's more of you than them it's probably not a good sign. It may still be good, but it most likely will not be authentic or it's so cheap that can be overlooked. The best Vietnamese restaurants in OKC are heavily populated with Vietnamese-American customers. They may not be the most modern, feature the best customer service, or even be the cleanest but the best Vietnamese restaurants in OKC could care less if non-Vietnamese customers approve or not. The best steakhouses in OKC dont' sell Teriyaki chicken or noodle bowls to appeal to Asian clientele and the best Vietnamese restaurants don't sell "crab rangoon". Being Vietnamese-owned does not guarantee authenticity or quality. Authenticity doesn't always pay the bills. Whatever sells or is available often pays the bills. There are a litany of "asian standards" that are not remotely close to Asian or tempered to be more approachable. If you don't believe this, go to Lido. It's one of the oldest Vietnamese restaurants in OKC but is overwhelmingly patronized by non-Vietnamese unless it's for a wedding.

(Do some Vietnamese go there? Of course, but many Vietnamese go to Pizza Hut. Also by more or most I literally mean more or most. A clientele of 10%, 20%, %30, etc Vietnamese customers is not most.)

If you want good Mexican, go where they go, not where you want to go. Keep in mind Mexico is a huge country not unlike the US. Food is very different from region to region just like the US. Oaxacan tacos often feature crickets and Baja often features seafood. Complimentary chips & queso is not a standard item.

We eat mex at Alfredo's in Yukon more frequently than other places. Part of the reason being the good variety of sides. My wife is a vegetarian and usually picks from side menus to make up a meal.

The tacos cavillo are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The tacos cavillo are outstanding.
    Midtowner, I didn't notice them when I was there. Can you describe the tacos cavillo?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Midtowner, I didn't notice them when I was there. Can you describe the tacos cavillo?
    one picture is worth...

Abel's Mexican Restaurant - Tacos Calvillo

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...32297746785631

Thread Information