Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

There is a buffet next to the Olive Garden at SW 74th & Penn (there's a thread about it here somewhere) and although it's a mixed Mexican/Chinese/American buffett, there are always at least a couple of really good Mexican dishes, generally a mole and some sort of pork verde-like dish.

If you want really good tacos and burritos, try Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th, just west of Penn. I've been eating there for 11 years and have never been disappointed.

If you are wanting generic Tex-Mex, I haven't seen a lot of difference between all the ones I've tried. It's all pretty good to me but none really stand out.

2. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    There is a buffet next to the Olive Garden at SW 74th & Penn (there's a thread about it here somewhere) and although it's a mixed Mexican/Chinese/American buffett, there are always at least a couple of really good Mexican dishes, generally a mole and some sort of pork verde-like dish.
    It's called Las Delicias and it's not bad for what it is. Way better than Pancho's across the interstate. It's owned by Chelino's, so the Mexican is similar to what you would get at a Chelino's restaurant, but they also offer some soups (pasole and caldo de res), and other items you won't get at a normal Chelino's.

I don't remember the price off the top of my head but it's not bad for a buffet and if they have the grilled beef short ribs on the buffet it is well worth it.

They only have the mole on the weekend.

Casa Perico, 122nd and Penn. I am particulary fond of their Puerco Verde, but I've never had anything there that wasn't good. Super nice and attentive staff, VERY reasonable prices and never a wait for a table or booth. Good margaritas too.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Drive down 29th Street from Shields to I-44 and you'll pass most of the best Mexican restaurants in Oklahoma City because you are afraid to stop at any of them.

Berta's Tacos does a lunch buffet that's better than any of the restaurants I've seen listed here.
    Dont forget sw44th and sw 59th.

This site has a pretty good list:
    Inner City Southside Mexican Restaurants | Urbanspoon

You said "mexican food" so I assume you meant "mexican" not tex-mex or "okie-mex"

5. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Dont forget sw44th and sw 59th.
    Yeah, the entire area from Shields west to about Portland and South 44th north to North 25th is littered with tasty holes in the wall and taco trucks. The biggest concentration seems to be along 29th street though.

As it happens, last night I ate at my recommended Casa Perico at 63rd & Meridian and it was even better than I had remembered.

For the first time, I asked for the habanero salsa and they prepare it in a little iron skillet and bring it to you warm... For no extra charge. It was one of the best salsas I've ever had, as it's plenty spicy but not so much so you can't taste the other flavors. I'm already craving it again!

I'm not a huge fan of queso but I like theirs; it's closer to white than yellow and has a really nice flavor. Their chips were fresh and not greasy.

I had a chicken chile relleno which was fine, but not outstanding. But their standard refried beans were really darn good.

Also, my Tecate beer was not only served in a large goblet with salt and lime, but it was COLD and the goblet was very frosty.

And, the service was warm, prompt and generally excellent.

Seems like they just get all the little things right. Need to find a good main dish because that seems to be the weak link the few times I have eaten there.

Uhm Tacoville.....

I like Mama Rojas out at Lake Hefner. La Salsa Grille at NW 23rd and Meridian is also good. Hugo's Taquiza's at NW 23rd and I-44 is good as well.

9. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

If you're looking for Mexican that's comparable to Ted's, then you're looking for what I like to call "Okla-Mex." And for Okla-Mex, I have to agree with Pete -- it's hard to beat Casa Perico.

Of course, there are a wide range of other types of Mexican and Latin restaurants in the city. If you're looking to branch out of the standard Okla-Mex fare, I'd recommend any or all of the following:

Taqueria Los Comales (Taqueria - Stockyard City)
    Zarate's (Mexican / South American - Edmond)
    Birrieria Diaz (Try the Birria - Downtown Bethany)
    Cafe Kacao (Guatemalan - Classen at about 34th)

Abel's (NW 50th and MacArthur) is also a great option if you're a fan of Okla-Mex but you want to try something a little unique. Order off the Taqueria Menu at Abel's (it's a small, separate menu that's normally on your table). Tacos are $1.65 each, filled with the meat of your choice, and still come with all the chips, salsa, queso, and sopapilla you expect at an Okla-Mex restaurant. I categorize Abel's as the Okla-Mex / Taqueria combo.

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    Abel's (NW 50th and MacArthur) is also a great option if you're a fan of Okla-Mex but you want to try something a little unique. Order off the Taqueria Menu at Abel's (it's a small, separate menu that's normally on your table). Tacos are $1.65 each, filled with the meat of your choice, and still come with all the chips, salsa, queso, and sopapilla you expect at an Okla-Mex restaurant. I categorize Abel's as the Okla-Mex / Taqueria combo.
    Do they also own an Abel's on South May near I-240?

11. Default Re: Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Do they also own an Abel's on South May near I-240?
    Yes, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    3rd vote. Everything there is just perfect in my opinion and the food comes out very fast!
    3rd vote for Casa Pericos is what I meant to say.. :/

Taramuhara's in Norman.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    3rd vote for Casa Pericos is what I meant to say...
    Yes, Casa Pericos is very good. House of Parakeets.
    Cool name.

Try one of the chile rellenos at Chuy's. I think they are pretty tasty. It's a Tex-Mex chain but it's probably my favorite Tex-Mex chain. I also like Abels, but I like the NW 50th location more than the south side one. And one of these days I'm gonna get the guts to try one of those inner-city places........just haven't done it yet.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LovableGoober View Post
    Try one of the chile rellenos at Chuy's. I think they are pretty tasty....
    Do they use a poblano or Anaheim? I prefer the pan fried Anaheim that are the
    standard in New Mexico. The poblano leaves a bell pepper taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Yes, Casa Pericos is very good. House of Parakeets.
    Cool name.
    They used to call it Los Pericos: The Parrots.
    Apparently, something was lost (or possibly gained!) in translation.
    Still: It (that is, what hits the plate at Casa Perico) equals or surpasses every standard of Tex/Okie/Mex or Mex/Tex/Okie as established by "Teds".

(i prefer the location on 122nd and Penn . . . i'm selfish i want to feel good about leaving less of a carbon footprint =)

Frankly, I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that you would prefer an Anaheim pepper to a Poblano pepper.
    (on account of the only Anaheim i can think of is in California and California is the land of "fruits and nuts". isn't it? =)

I have to admit that I am looking forward to the opening of 1492 North (Cassady Square) much more than I'm looking forward to Five Guys Burgers and/or Cain's Chicken Parts, Again.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Frankly, I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that you would prefer
    an Anaheim pepper to a Poblano pepper. (on account of the only Anaheim
    i can think of is in California and California is the land of "fruits and nuts".
    isn't it? =)
    Yes and no. The poblano pepper tastes too much like a green bell pepper.
    They leave an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. The Anaheim pepper has
    some spice to it and doesn't leave an offensive after taste. While California,
    from which I am from, duh Prunepicker, is definitely the land of fruits and
    nuts, figuratively speaking, it's also a wonderful place for excellent Cal-Mex
    and hot sauces for your burger. This is reality and not figurative.

"Yes and No" sounds a bit "moderate" . . . Doesn't it? =)

I understand what you are saying: Personally, I have only recently--like over the most recent five years--begun to develop a tolerance for cilantro. It--cilantro--used to leave a taste in my mouth similar to chewing on Ivory Soap flakes or whatnot. (btw: the worst Cilantro Overdose Offense came from the "TexOkieMex" place that used to be in the vicinity of where Genghis Grill is now. the one that moved west on Memorial for awhile then disappeared entirely.)

Personally, The Poblano is my "Go-To" pepper of choice but when I make Chili or Posole or Chicken/Pork/Beef/or Stacked-Rolled Enchiladas/Whatever I use a combination of chiles for a layered blend of textures and tastes. The Buy-For-Less or Whole Foods Anaheim is always included. Even the one from Sunflower--oops "Sprouts".

Stay tuned for a handy tip on how to "Skin" peppers rather than roast them for inclusion into a relatively slow-cooking dish that isn't improved by simply dumping over-cooked chiles into the broth. =)

I guess the most obscurely humorous part of this thread to this point is that the OP asked for "Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's" It's a semantic thing . . . Easy Answer: "The refrigerator case at that 7-Eleven adjacent to The Original"? (a jape on the use of "besides" rather than "as an alternative to" . . .

"I understand what you are saying: Personally, I have only recently--like over the most recent five years--begun to develop a tolerance for cilantro. It--cilantro--used to leave a taste in my mouth similar to chewing on Ivory Soap flakes or whatnot.
    Which reminds me of when I heard Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) say on one of her cooking shows that she thought that cilantro tasted like dish soap.

I hope the supply of necessities to The Hamptons (on Long Island a.k.a. Ina G's Hood) wasn't rudely interrupted by that Sandy hurricane . . . =)

Really . . . I do so hope.
    (Her "Back to Basics" cookbook is second only to "Tyler's Ultimate" running just ahead of "Rao's [authentic italian].

Dang. I hope the REAL "Rao's" (restaurant) up there by Harlem is OK . . . Betty Crocker and Gourmet MagRecpColl(c. 1950) are still in the running . . . =)

OK . . . How about . . . [instead of] . . . =)

If Jacques Pepin would present a cookbook of "Essential [mexican]" all would be well in the world . . .
    (inside joke: watch the taxpayer funded OETA/CREATE network for a while. while eating some KFC with Cholula for authenticity. =)

"Best Mexican food in OKC besides Ted's" . . . indeed. =)

p.s. to ljbab728: i think Alton Brown gave a real scientific explanation for cilantro as compared to non-cilantro enjoyers. so where is that new Braum's location that we discussed a year or so ago?...=)

I think it's in Savannah near "The Lady & Sons".

No . . . I don't think that is right . . . PaulaD got smacked upside the head by a frozen ham flung by a dockworker in celebration o' some holiday a couple o' years ago while posing for a video shoot, recovered, and swore off butterin' up the masses of viewers exceptin' usin' more butter in ev'erthang.
    (did Sandy affect Savannah? i hope so . . . but not too much . . . capice?

So where is the Braum's . . . with sidewalks . . . on Hefner . . . east of Penn?
    (i mean . . . WTF? is the problem? =)

Of course I refer to the New! Improved! Braums location that has a few more peppers available to purchase off the produce rack.

Is "H" really his middle initial?

Enough with the mind reading already: Braum's location east of Penn on Hefner with all of the ingredients for a homemade Okie Mex meal. Eight months. do it =)

Oh . . . A "lighted sidewalk" defining the natural "watershed/drainage park" would perfectly balance the natural environment and discourage sub-urban sprawl. If you know what i mean . . . and i think that you do. =)

(?entonces que . . . de veras . . . traga luz?)

Reminder: "Mexican Food in OKC besides Teds": Insult? Springboard to Discussion o/y Mierda?
    (thanks/kudos t' bcris02 . . . so . . . was like . . .your awesome locatorphone tuned to thischannelrwhut?)
    (awesome. teds is teds. fine cuisine is . . . like out there.)

And there is, of course, always the alternative implied by your "racistculturalist" request for anti-colonialist alternative to Ted's. . .
    (really . . . if one phrases the question "mexican" . . . as compared to . . . "ted's" . . . how "authentic is that?"
    no matter how you slice it . . . =)

Sorry, amigo . . . we salvadorians sometimes get really picky about paradigms and semantics.
    thanks for not being niggardly in terms of your forgiveness vis-a-viis my gaffe . . .

To OP: It is "unfair" to set up any comparison of value received vis-a-vis "mexican" with a name like Teds."
    It relates to "The Smuckers" concept of Labelability as compared to Quality and stuff like that there.

Prunepicker Guest

"Yes and No" sounds a bit "moderate" . . . Doesn't it? =)
    This has nothing to do with politics. Food is subjective. Politics are
    cognitive.

Another Teds thread, yay!

I don't understand the fascination with Ted's. as others have said there are TONS of other just as good options.

Tex-Mex
    Los Pericos
    Los Arcos
    Chuy's
    Diego's
    Big Truck Tacos

Authentic
    Los Comales
    Tamales El Patio
    Random food trucks across metro

Thread Information