Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

1. Default Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

As part of NewsOK.com's tribute to Ray Ackerman, in an interview Steve Lackmeyer, Mr. Ackerman at the conclusion made a wish for Oklahoma City to nickname itself "The Big Friendly". I hope we do this. In conjunction, I suggest we rename our proposed Oklahoma City Boulevard to "The BIG FRIENDLY Boulevard". Also, our new central park might be called "The Big Friendly Park".

Here's the link to Steve's interview: Businessman, civic leader Ray Ackerman dies | NewsOK Videos

http://www.newsok.com/businessman-ci.../1907246284001

What is your opinion?

Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Oh please no

3. Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Oh please no
    Well that settles it then.

Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Why not Ray Ackerman Boulevard?

The Big Friendly just doesn't seem quit right.. Just my opinion though.

"The Big Friendly" has been floating around for a while but has never gotten any traction.

I think the general consensus was that most people found it lame (with no offense to The Admiral, who was an amazing man).

HangryHippo Guest

I wouldn't mind Ackerman Boulevard or Ackerman Park or something honoring the man, but anything with "the Big Friendly" gets a resounding no from me.

Pardon my ignorance but who was this Ray Ackerman? I 120% agree with metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but who was this Ray Ackerman? I 120% agree with metro.
    See post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    See post #1.
    Its Monday..thanks lol

Blog Entries

Ray is the one who renamed the river the Oklahoma River. Where do you think the idea came from to name the boulevard the Oklahoma City Boulevard? I guess if you are truly wanting to honor him then we accept the name...as bland as it is.

I think Ackerman Boulevard would be appropriate. "Big Friendly Blvd" gets a "Please no" from me though. That is possibly the most contrived name of all those suggested yet.

I don't even know what to call the term Big Friendly without hurting someone's feelings. Such a horrible name, I don't know how anyone could come up with that concept. Considering lots of our streets are named after civic grandfathers or sports guys, I think a last name is more appropriate than a nickname!

"Big Friendly" would sound pretty weird over police scanners...

Uhmm....with all due respect to the late Mr. Ackerman, no.

I can't help escaping the notion that we'd immediately starting seeing BBates regularly taping at any street named "Big Friendly."

HangryHippo Guest

Sid, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure if it's because I think Oklahoma City has been devoid of respect from outsiders for far too long or if it's a personal inferiority complex or something else entirely, but I think the name of the boulevard should be a little more stately and/or eloquent. I just don't feel like Oklahoma City has reached a point where we should consider goofiness in the naming of what is hopefully an iconic boulevard. While I do agree that no city should ever take themselves so seriously that they miss out on the opportunity to have something unique, I don't think the boulevard is the place for such goofiness at this time (i.e. go left at the Eiffel Tower on Big Friendly Blvd just doesn't work for me).

Respectfully, no.

The Big Friendly Boulevard sounds like a show on Nick Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It is no wonder that some of the best places to live in the world are cities always are willing to tinker and never take themselves too seriously.

Exhibit B:

Trampoline bridge could let you bounce across the Seine | Art and design | guardian.co.uk
    Lemme guess, this bridge must be called "Big Flagellum"...

The big friendly flagellum..

20. Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Big Friendly will make people smile. Just saying it in the context of giving someone directions will cause everyone to smirk or smile. And maybe that was Ray's idea all along?
    Sid,

I understand, I think, the angle you're approaching this with and I agree. Look at how ridiculous some mascots, NBA uniforms, or other representative things seemed initially. They (some of them) caught on and became more than just a historical reference or vanilla symbol. They stood out from the norm and became something special to a lot of people. The Big Easy...the big easy what? Sounds silly, but it works. Friendliness IS something that sets OKC apart from a lot of metros.

I'm not altogether sure about "The Big Friendly", but it may well work. The parallel to "The Big Easy" tag might be too transparent, though.

Keep in mind that a city doesn't have to have just one moniker. New Orleans is the "Big Easy", the "Crescent City", and the "City that Care Forgot". If some people like the "Big Friendly" it's OK even if it doesn't appeal to everyone. With that said, I think renaming the boulevard "The Big Friendly Boulevard" sounds a little affected. It just doesn't sound right. If we had a long history with that connotation I might feel differently.

22. Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

Thanks. "Big" certainly isn't claimed by anyone. Big Ben, Big Easy, Big Apple, Big Dipper, Big Bang....
    True, it's really not a..........Big Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    As part of NewsOK.com's tribute to Ray Ackerman, in an interview Steve Lackmeyer, Mr. Ackerman at the conclusion made a wish for Oklahoma City to nickname itself "The Big Friendly". I hope we do this. In conjunction, I suggest we rename our proposed Oklahoma City Boulevard to "The BIG FRIENDLY Boulevard". Also, our new central park might be called "The Big Friendly Park".

Here's the link to Steve's interview: Businessman, civic leader Ray Ackerman dies | NewsOK Videos

http://www.newsok.com/businessman-ci.../1907246284001

What is your opinion?
    When I first read this, I honestly thought it was snark. I was about to admonish you for picking on Ray for his terrible ideas.

This is actually the worst idea I've heard in a long time. NO. NO EFFING WAY. Please, let it go. Ray did much for our city -- and he was empowered to rename our river. Let's stop there.

24. Default Re: Tribute to Ray Ackerman: Renaming our OKC Blvd to The Big Friendly Boulevard

It looks like most everybody thinks "The Big Friendly Boulevard" doesn't work. I just think The Big Friendly Boulevard is so quirky, no one will ever forget it.

One of the world's greatest boulevards is Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Translated it means "The Prominade". The new boulevard is likely to be Oklahoma City's signature street (overtaking Classen, Broadway, Memorial, May Ave, and Shields).

Oklahoma City Boulevard is a dignified name & is the choice of the Oklahoma City Council and the OKC Chamber of Commerce and many of the public. I even think it's a good name. But it's a banal name in my opinion.

A little less quirky, but in the theme of Las Ramblas, we might name our boulevard "The Friendly".

Any more opinions or other memorable alternate names for our new boulevard?

How about 'Thunder Road'.

Thread Information