Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Google imagery

Default Re: New Google imagery

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    The thing I look for to see if anything is updated is Western and Memorial and whether there is a picture of the Costco. On my phone I still don’t see a Costco, I see a blank field. So I feel like the imagery is embarrassingly out of date.,
    Yep around 5 years. If you need quick decent imagery Bing maps is more updated than google.

The USGS is probably the most up to date there is that is free. Google doesn't seem to want to make that investment anymore.

https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The USGS is probably the most up to date there is that is free. Google doesn't seem to want to make that investment anymore.

The site seems so much easier to use than the last time I looked at it, granted that was years ago.

Thank you. That’s helpful. I was unfamiliar with that site.

What frustrates me with Google now is they have begun (several years now) of extensive AI filtering removing vehicles, airplanes, trains, etc. from all imagery. The result really sours the experience for me, as a big part of my enjoyment playing with Google Earth, is seeing how people interact with the earth...or at least how we interact with what humans have constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post

google updates their "Earth" product pretty often ..

It looks like Google has updated even more imagery around the metro including north Edmond. Still lacking in the other areas like Chisholm Creek.

It seems like they door a worse job than they used to on this. Mine still hasn’t updated and its at least 6 years old.

I am glad I am not the only weirdo who gets excited when they update the sat view. I noticed Tulsa got new imagery when it turned from a drab yellow t a dark green across the map. Looks like the imagery was taken n the spring when all the creeks and ponds were full.

One thing to note Zuplar is that the imagery on desktop is different than the imagery on mobile. I am not sure why but it is. Near my parents home in Bixby the desktop version doesn't even show a picture from 10 years ago but on mobile the photo is from this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It looks like Google has updated even more imagery around the metro including north Edmond. Still lacking in the other areas like Chisholm Creek.
    PluPan, I'm curious about this. As I've mentioned before, I use the Costco at Memorial/Western as my gauge of whether my view is "new." The Costco is still not on Google Earth, it's still an empty field. Can you point to a specific landmark that is now on the image that wasn't there before? Not questioning your statement at all, just wanted to check my image to see if my version is updated.

PluPan, I'm curious about this. As I've mentioned before, I use the Costco at Memorial/Western as my gauge of whether my view is "new." The Costco is still not on Google Earth, it's still an empty field. Can you point to a specific landmark that is now on the image that wasn't there before? Not questioning your statement at all, just wanted to check my image to see if my version is updated.
    If you select View > Historical Imagery, Google Earth shows aerial imagery from July 3, 2022 with Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    If you select View > Historical Imagery, Google Earth shows aerial imagery from July 3, 2022 with Costco.
    Thank you for this, but I must be really dense. How do you get to View > Historical Imagery on the app? I don't have the ability to change views, I don't think.

Thank you for this, but I must be really dense. How do you get to View > Historical Imagery on the app? I don't have the ability to change views, I don't think.
    Don't worry, you're not dense! That feature must not be available on the mobile app. On desktop, Google Earth allows you to view historic aerial imagery and when you select it (while viewing Costco), the map changes from a 2017 capture to a 2022 capture.

Gotcha! Thanks!

I wish they’d just keep the app updated with the newest imagery. What’s the point of doing it the way they do it?

Just an FYI. I noticed a lot of downtown area has streetview updates as of the last two months. It has been a few years, so nice to see the changes.

Thread Information