Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Google imagery

Default Re: New Google imagery

Anybody know when OKC is going to get new Google streetview imagery? Our imagery is very outdated and most cities have much higher resolution imagery now. Even Amarillo has been updated so I think OKC would be coming soon.

Given how many sightings of the car(s) that does it over the last couple years, it seems like it should have already happened

Huge new Streetview update today! Looks to incorporate Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, Amarillo, Northwest Arkansas, and several places in between. I'm sure there's more to mention, but those are areas I've seen so far.

Finally!

Most of what I'm seeing is from 2011/12.

An improvement, but still pretty old data.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Most of what I'm seeing is from 2011/12.

An improvement, but still pretty old data.
    Yeah, its amazing this "new" imagery is still out of date. Still shows old crosstown up, 40/Morgan Rd interchange under construction, Devon Tower only 2/3 finished, etc. At this point, OKC is growing fast enough that by the time everything is processed it will be long since antiquated.

Some of the rural areas have imagery as late as April 2013.

A big improvement but hopefully they do not wait as long the next time or at least do spot upgrades in the future

Glad to see the update. Even if some areas are still out of date, its far better than the previous imagery from 2007 right after an ice storm. I honestly don't think there could have been any worse streetview representation of OKC. Hopefully they don't wait another six years to update it again.

9. Default Re: New Google imagery

That's funny... I was looking around the north part of downtown and started looking around and thought to myself, "This sure looks higher resolution like the newer HD imagery." Then looked and saw Devon Tower under construction and thought holy cow... Then of course I check OKCTalk and see this thread bumped up. Wow, what an improvement but yes, it's still not current. Much better than where it was though.

10. Default Re: New Google imagery

This is still my favorite intersection though.

http://goo.gl/maps/EZm0Z

I noticed something interesting, they shot Sheridan Ave in front of Devon Tower while it was still closed for Project 180 construction (I am guessing with permission)

Overall, I think the city looks great.

13. Default Re: New Google imagery

Spotted they vehicle they used...

http://goo.gl/maps/1NHTl

Funny thing is, if you take one step away from that intersection, it jumps about a year and a half in imagery. It's a patchwork all over so far I've seen.

Oh, yeah.. the first one I noticed was the Braniff Building. You can watch it transform before your eyes by moving one step across Robinson.

I am really pleased with this new Google imagery. It shows OKC in a much better light than what was there previously. Only thing I would change is I would remove the old crosstown.

UnFrSaKn,
    It appears to be patchwork in Carshalton, Sutton, Uk., (a London suburb) as well. On a small street, Mill lane, there is a pub, The Lord Palmerston, and after zooming in, the name is clear, but if I move to the right, there is a banner promoting an event at the pub and the name is partially covered. So, I suspect it probably is patchwork "all over" as you say.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Spotted they vehicle they used...

http://goo.gl/maps/1NHTl

Funny thing is, if you take one step away from that intersection, it jumps about a year and a half in imagery. It's a patchwork all over so far I've seen.

Oh, yeah.. the first one I noticed was the Braniff Building. You can watch it transform before your eyes by moving one step across Robinson.

It seems they updated the imagery within the last couple of months...

Yes, I could have told you that a couple months ago.

Just fyi, new imagery is up for OKC.

Not that it's OKC, but while driving in Alberta, Canada, the other day on my way toward Calgary, I saw the Google Maps car on the other side of the highway. I took a snapshot of my location...figuring it'll be 6 months before the new imagery is uploaded.

20. Default Re: New Google imagery

It may or may not have been actively taking snapshots. I passed by one about a year ago on 77, it used the images of it going Northbound, not Southbound so I didn't get in on that round. However it did get me when I was following it for a few hundred feet on Main Street in Norman.

Looks like Google has just updated their satellite imagery for OKC! From the construction going on, looks to have been taken from this last summer! Everything is very green too, compared to the brown imagery from the last update!

It is still a bit odd how much Google Maps satalite images still lags so far behind Google Earth at the same locations. They still have not got areas of Maps updated to the Earth photos from around a year and a half ago that was just replaced.

I can see the new imagery on my phone, but not on the browser. Still glad to see the update it seemed like it had been awhile.

The update was taken on Sept 10, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I can see the new imagery on my phone, but not on the browser. Still glad to see the update it seemed like it had been awhile.
    For me to see the update on the browser, I have to turn off the 3D setting.

Thread Information