Widgets Magazine

Thread: Just curious what does "Don't Edmond my downtown mean"?

Default Just curious what does "Don't Edmond my downtown mean"?

I hope this thread is in the right place.

I'm just wondering whether thats referring to building standards that Edmond has or the layout of the city. I'm guessing that that saying is negative towards the city Edmond. Sorry for not knowing this as I have not been on this site for too long. BTW I do live in Edmond that's also why i'm curious.

And one last thing, I don't want to start an argument with anyone just so you know.

Default Re: Just curious what does "Don't Edmond my downtown mean"?

I've never heard "Don't Edmond my downtown" anywhere else besides a few posters on here. Now going to OU I saw plenty of Don't Edmond my Norman bumper stickers.

I'm guessing it means leave the suburban mindset that leads to developments like this and sticking to urban design principles, like making building interact with the street and not a parking lot.

Lots of people belittle Edmond. Truthfully Edmond has far higher development quality and much stricter guidelines than most cities in OK. Plus lots of Edmondites are bigtime supporters of downtown businesses and organizations. So maybe we should be saying Don't Moore my Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I've never heard "Don't Edmond my downtown" anywhere else besides a few posters on here. Now going to OU I saw plenty of Don't Edmond my Norman bumper stickers.

I'm guessing it means leave the suburban mindset that leads to developments like this and sticking to urban design principles, like making building interact with the street and not a parking lot.

Lots of people belittle Edmond. Truthfully Edmond has far higher development quality and much stricter guidelines than most cities in OK. Plus lots of Edmondites are bigtime supporters of downtown businesses and organizations. So maybe we should be saying Don't Moore my Downtown.
    I was thinking the same thing. Living in Edmond, all I can say is that is think it is a nice city. There are some shabby developments in Edmond no doubt, but overall I think it's a nice community.

4. Default Re: Just curious what does "Don't Edmond my downtown mean"?

Edmond is Oklahoma's version of the quintessential suburb. Spread out, clogged up, underdesigned, and overrated. I've never heard "Don't Edmond my downtown," but I agree with it if that's what it means!

For people that frequent this site because they like all the reasons for why they like to say "don't Edmond my (insert city), the primary reason people that don't care about what most of us do is elementary education. Edmond has always been high up in that category. Development is another issue.

I can see it around Tulsa...don't Jenks my Broken Arrow lol!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    For people that frequent this site because they like all the reasons for why they like to say "don't Edmond my (insert city), the primary reason people that don't care about what most of us do is elementary education. Edmond has always been high up in that category. Development is another issue.

I can see it around Tulsa...don't Jenks my Broken Arrow lol!
    Actually it would be don't BA my Jenks.

Actually, Spartan, you were suppose to see the humor in it and read it as, "don't jinx my broken arrow"

Thread Information