Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wheeler Park

Default Re: Wheeler Park

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Yeah that would be true. The fact of the matter is that the city owns the Chesapeake arena but the Thunder for all practical purposes are the tail that wags the dog. There seems to be a precedent with these city built and owned facilities for the primary tenant to have outsized influence in what gets allowed to be booked.
    yep.. and this is exactly why OKC will not get another hockey team anytime soon. we were very very close to getting the ECHL affiliate (Double A) for the Dallas Stars... but they wanted to use Chesapeake Arena, and it was very quickly nixed by the Thunder. because having a building used an additional 36 days for events is a terrible idea I guess.

^

I always like to point out that the LA Kings share the Staples Center with both the Lakers and Clippers PLUS have tons of concerts and other events. That's one NHL team and 2 NBA teams. And yet they still use that venue all the time for other things as well.

It can be done, it's just that the powers that be in OKC seem content to let all the big shows go to a smaller Tulsa market, thus depriving people in OKC of experiencing many concerts and robbing the local economy of millions every year.

Blog Entries

Steering

The Peake could accommodate an ECHL franchise with the added incentive to renew former rivals Tulsa & Wichita. Thunder are the Peake's anchor tenant.

A new proposed arena (replace SFA) is under consideration to accommodate our valued horse show industry; the multi-purpose venue could be equipped for basketball & ice hockey as well. There aren't any decent restaurants/amenities in the area; good chance ice hockey would fail much like a better quality product (AHL Barons) failed in a subpar facility w/o former established rivals across from the Peake. Not going to ignore the Barons' failure was attributed to other factors as well.

Also

Speaking of softball, back in the 60's/70's there was an annual Native American softball tournament at Wheeler Park in the late summer that attracted huge crowds of people in the park. Whatever happened to it, anyone know?

Blog Entries

IIRC they eventually moved the tournament; City didn't renew the lease.

Although it was good for local area convenience type stores in the area; the tournament was preyed upon by a rowdy drinking group many with no ties to softball. Many were there from Friday thru Sunday. Some attendees camped along the river; the last year it operated at Wheeler one reported drunk fell off the Western Avenue Bridge; also the park never shut down during that time; police were frequently called to the area to deal with occasional clashes between a small group of area gang members who crashed the huge 49 side party which spanned two & 1/2 days.

Wheeler Park was completely trashed during that time; cans, bottles (warning signs didn't deter glass), illegal drugs and you name it. Wheeler Park couldn't supply enough portable toilets to keep up with the disgusting activities that took place--few drunk characters didn't use the portable toilets.

Witnessed some of this myself because a friend of mind (from Watonga) came here to participate in the tournament with his family; use to accompany the family on those events. It wasn't so much the tournament but the outsiders who congregated in the park to turn the non softball activities into a complete fiasco.

Wheeler Park was covered by overnight campers, though the city now forbids that. Narcomey got serapes (Indian blankets) from Mexico and gave them away as prizes for home runs.
    Blood, Sweat and Cheers Annual Softball Tourney Brings Indians Together: https://newsok.com/article/2507803/b...dians-together

Thanks Laramie, that article is dated 1995 it continued on longer than I thought

looks like it came back to wheeler park for 2014 and after that (possibly 2015?) was at the asa stadium

https://nfca.org/index.php?option=co...114&Itemid=149

8. Default Re: Wheeler Park

Staples Center is an unusual facility in that it has multiple anchor tenants and therefore there is not any one of them to place monopoly on the dates or its use. Chicago's United Center is another one.

However, it is not unusual for facilities with no competition to allow the anchor to de-facto control the use. Here in Seattle, the Mariners are anchor tenant at Safeco Field. Guess who else uses the facility? Even though it is owned by King County and built/financed in part by the state. CenturyLink Field used to be anchored solely by the Seattle Seahawks. Facility built and owned by King County. Prior to the expansion of MLS, the Seahawks were sole tenant and controlled events (and got a cut from those allowed). With the MLS Sounders sharing the facility, there is no longer a monopoly and there are other events coming there.

Now here's an interesting one, KeyArena, the former home of the NBA Seattle Supersonics and current home of the WNBA Seattle Storm. Previously, there was competition there and LOTS of concerts, events, and shows. Today, basically JUST the WNBA and Seattle University teams play there with other arenas in the area (mainly Tacoma) that gets the shows. Same facility but run totally different today vs. 2008.

Point being, Oklahoma City needs to eventually decide that it owns Chesapeake arena and desires more events/control over dates. Until then, the NBA will dictate to SMG who, what and when and likely the Thunder is getting a cut of anything happening there. Not a bad deal for a new NBA city getting a team but I expect this to be revised on the next contract renewal given the smashing success of OKC as a true NBA market and the demand this city has for events.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

9. Default Re: Wheeler Park

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Also

Speaking of softball, back in the 60's/70's there was an annual Native American softball tournament at Wheeler Park in the late summer that attracted huge crowds of people in the park. Whatever happened to it, anyone know?
    It was fastpitch softball, I believe. In the 70s when I used to play a lot, we ran into the tournament in Anadarko. It may have moved there.

10. Default Re: Wheeler Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I always like to point out that the LA Kings share the Staples Center with both the Lakers and Clippers PLUS have tons of concerts and other events. That's one NHL team and 2 NBA teams. And yet they still use that venue all the time for other things as well.

It can be done, it's just that the powers that be in OKC seem content to let all the big shows go to a smaller Tulsa market, thus depriving people in OKC of experiencing many concerts and robbing the local economy of millions every year.
    It can be but I saw a documentary several years ago about the operation of that arena and it is a work of art to get all those events in. There was a day they had 2 major sporting events there the same day and a concert the next. The crews that tear down and set up were on the job the second each event ended, no wasted time or motion. Not just them, but the crews that clean, stock and cook food, etc. It was amazing. The Thunder have a good deal but there is a lot to having an arena housing both hockey and basketball.

The Staples Center is a special case.

^

There were/are dozens of arenas and stadiums that have simultaneously hosted multiple pro, semi-pro and college sports teams and still staged all kinds of events.

The question is: Why can't OKC?

Simple answer: We choose not to.

I wish there was a way we could let the necessary powers that be know we want more concerts in our city-owned arena.

I'll let the conversation get back on topic.

13. Default Re: Wheeler Park

I think a significant part of the issue with Chesapeake goes beyond the Thunder and rests with SMG and the fact that they also manage BOK. The arena in Tulsa has no anchor tenant, so needs lots of events to be profitable. The arena in OKC is profitable with zero effort thanks to the built-in Thunder business. It is a well-known fact that OKC folks (myself included) willingly drive to Tulsa for quality shows while Tulsa residents usually can’t be bothered to drive to OKC. The whole thing is a pretty obvious business decision if you think of it from this perspective.

I’m not sure how the City changes this. Minimum performance guarantees on the next negotiation? Not even sure how that would work. But I can guarantee you this: SMG isn’t going anywhere. They were just contracted to manage the new MAPS 3 convention center. Nor would we necessarily want them to. They are one of if not THE top dog in the industry, and concerts are not our only priority as a city.

OK, sorry to extend the off-topic discussion.

^

If the city wanted to change this they would just hire someone other than SMG.

15. Default Re: Wheeler Park

As I suggested, there are also plenty of reasons to retain SMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    As I suggested, there are also plenty of reasons to retain SMG.
    And plenty of reasons not to.

I don't see how SMG's simultaneous management of the BOK Center and Chesapeake isn't a big conflict of interest.

How often do they book an act or event at only one but not the other?

In other words, if they book an act in Tulsa it's probably easier for them and means that act will not be booked in OKC. And to SMG it doesn't make any difference if they go to Tulsa... They get paid just the same.

How is this good for OKC??

I don't see how SMG's simultaneous management of the BOK Center and Chesapeake isn't a big conflict of interest.

In other words, if they book an act in Tulsa it's probably easier for them and means that act will not be booked in OKC. And to SMG it doesn't make any difference if they go to Tulsa... They get paid just the same.

The number of qualified arena management groups is very, VERY small. I can't think of any other than SMG. Could the city do it? I wouldn't trust them to run a drive-thru, let alone an arena.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    The number of qualified arena management groups is very, VERY small. I can't think of any other than SMG. Could the city do it? I wouldn't trust them to run a drive-thru, let alone an arena.
    You only need one.

AEG is a big-time player and Live Nation has good market share as well.

There are good options other than SMG.

20. Default Re: Wheeler Park

I never claimed that it is good for the concert scene in particular; in fact if you scroll up a few posts you will see that I am the very poster who introduced the theory that it was detrimental, as I have done before. I personally agree that it doesn't seem to be. That said, booking concerts is not the only reason they were hired to manage this facility, and there are surely other reasons that they have been retained and in fact the relationship has been expanded to include the CC.

Blog Entries

You only need one.

AEG is a big-time player and Live Nation has good market share as well.

There are good options other than SMG.
    AEG is owned by Phillip Anschutz (Anschutz Entertainment Group), who also owns the Oklahoman.

There had been a lot of speculation that the city may carve off some or all of Wheeler Park for a new soccer stadium.

However, they just announced $2 million in improvements throughout the park, so I don't think that is going to happen.

There had been a lot of speculation that the city may carve off some or all of Wheeler Park for a new soccer stadium.

However, they just announced $2 million in improvements throughout the park, so I don't think that is going to happen.
    FYI:

SCOPE OF PROJECT: To provide improvements to the existing ball fields, drives, park access roads, and parking lots. Improvements may include the addition of restrooms and a concession building.

Project is scheduled for FY '22 with a construction cost of $1,976,023.

I know it's not realistic, but it would be cool if they could put the soccer stadium between Wheeler Park and Scissortail Park (i.e. east of Walker) and work to better connect the area in between. Then the lower park would be a rectangle instead of an L, and Wheeler Park would be almost an extension of Scissortail.

you would like to think that the different city departments talk to each other and plan for the future as to not waste dollars / work ...... sadly i don't think that is the case .. i would guess that this is a approved parks dept porject that they are moving forward with ... and if the maps office /city pick this as the stadium site .. this money will have just have been wasted.

Thread Information