Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

It's been pretty quiet weather wise for a while.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    It's been pretty quiet weather wise for a while.
    sure makes you wonder what kind of winter we are in for...

Yeah, this upcoming first weekend of December, they're calling for highs in the 70s... Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    sure makes you wonder what kind of winter we are in for...
    FYI the high in Anchorage was 15 F and -10 F in Yellowknife, Yukon today, which are both about 10 degrees below normal than what they usually experience.

So winter is definitely coming, its just...waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    FYI the high in Anchorage was 15 F and -10 F in Yellowknife, Yukon today, which are both about 10 degrees below normal than what they usually experience.

So winter is definitely coming, its just...waiting.
    But if you saw the local forecast last night, that batch of cold air will be pushing east...not dropping south.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    But if you saw the local forecast last night, that batch of cold air will be pushing east...not dropping south.
    All the more reason to like Canadians and be happy. Mild Decembers ... gotta Love 'em.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

So long range outlook...well at least up to Mid December.

Pretty much bone dry through Dec 12th.

Temp wise mostly seasonal to above normal the next week and a half. Cold air will continue to develop over BC and the prairie provinces towards the end of the period.

I'm thinking Channel 5's 7 day forecast might be a little off. This is what they have on their website as the 7 day forecast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12568768.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	2926

All that cold air has to come down at some point. The pattern has kept the central US dry for a few weeks, is there any indication that changes in December? We sometimes get these "summer-like" dry periods in fall and winter, but with nice temps.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    All that cold air has to come down at some point. The pattern has kept the central US dry for a few weeks, is there any indication that changes in December? We sometimes get these "summer-like" dry periods in fall and winter, but with nice temps.
    Well...the 12Z GFS had this nice little hint.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    So long range outlook...well at least up to Mid December.

Pretty much bone dry through Dec 12th.

Temp wise mostly seasonal to above normal the next week and a half. Cold air will continue to develop over BC and the prairie provinces towards the end of the period.
    It's too bad the area of New Mexico leading to the Sangre De Cristo mountain range does not get a high annual snowfall. If the North Canadian River was like the Colorado River, there'd be no shortage of water coming into Oklahoma. Kind of unfortunate.

The Channel 4 weather last night said this winter will be above normal temps.

Seems like I recall the last time we had such warm temperatures this late into December was the late 70's, 1977 to be exact.

Reason I remember this is that my dad was putting a pool in at our house, and was cursing the contractor (among others) for not taking advantage of an extended period of 70-degree weather we were having in December to gunite the pool's rebar frame. In Dec '77, I'd have to have been 13, which would have put me in the eighth grade...

...now, just as readily, I remember that following winter, we had record snowfall, blizzard-like conditions, at least two (maybe three?) back-to-back storms dumping snow so deep we were leaving school about an hour after we arrived. We ended up having to make up a school day on a Saturday that year - and that was back in the day when boiling lava could be falling from the sky with flaming shards of glass, and no one would close school. I remember the snow being so pervasive and deep against the gray skies that it almost made your eyes hurt to look at seemingly endless waves of white EVERYWHERE. And it lasted several days before finally breaking up.

The lesson I learned was, around here, never to assume one season's weather based on that of its predecessor. Oklahoma weather does exactly what it wants.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - October/November 2012

I'll just point out some things just to provide perspective - but not to say this is what will happen.

Nov 27th - 73 degrees that then cool down to a high of 27 on Dec 9th that warmed to 70 on Dec 13th that cooled to 35 on the 15th that warmed back to 64 on the 21st. On the 24th we received well over 10 inches of snow and a blizzard.

January 2010 was much the same including reach a high of 68 on Jan 22nd and then getting 5 inches of snow on the 29th.

My point, much like Dave's, is that things are always going to be a roller coaster here. Above average temps for winter here...what exactly is average? LOL It really isn't all that unusual to be quite warm and then get snow a few days later here. It's Oklahoma and our climate and geological setup allows us to have every season in about 23 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I'll just point out some things just to provide perspective - but not to say this is what will happen.

Nov 27th - 73 degrees that then cool down to a high of 27 on Dec 9th that warmed to 70 on Dec 13th that cooled to 35 on the 15th that warmed back to 64 on the 21st. On the 24th we received well over 10 inches of snow and a blizzard.

January 2010 was much the same including reach a high of 68 on Jan 22nd and then getting 5 inches of snow on the 29th.

My point, much like Dave's, is that things are always going to be a roller coaster here. Above average temps for winter here...what exactly is average? LOL It really isn't all that unusual to be quite warm and then get snow a few days later here. It's Oklahoma and our climate and geological setup allows us to have every season in about 23 hours.
    Wasn't december 2009 like the second coldest one ever recorded.

The GFS models are still showing a batch of cold air coming down around December 10-12. How cold and if there will be any precipitation is still not clear. Enjoy this week of nice temps. and dry weather because it won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The GFS models are still showing a batch of cold air coming down around December 10-12. How cold and if there will be any precipitation is still not clear. Enjoy this week of nice temps. and dry weather because it won't last.
    I hope so. I love cold weather and snow. But, only for a little while.

I know I know but I love to reference Accuweather lol

Show just two possible precip days over the next three weeks and no real cold shots unless you consider low 40's cold

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I know I know but I love to reference Accuweather lol

Show just two possible precip days over the next three weeks and no real cold shots unless you consider low 40's cold
    Eh, I wouldn't mind it in the lower 20's (heck, I'll go for lower teens) and a blizzard for week or two esp. around/on Christmas. I just opening presents with the family around the fireplace with freezing temps and alooooooooot of snow. lol

Thread Information