Widgets Magazine

Thread: Cusak Meats

Default Cusak Meats

On account of this deals directly with Cusak Meats--one of the oldest businesses in Oklahoma City--perhaps this note might have been better placed under "Local Businesses" but in any case . . .

I've seen their little delivery trucks for years and never thought much about them.
    What hit the table last Thursday completely changed my perspective.
    So much so that I had to drop them a brief "thank you note":

=========
    I have tasted many, many turkeys over the years.
    Some of them have been very average . . . and some have been excellent.

As a hobby chef, I have even gotten involved in some pretty elaborate, time-consuming and "stressful" turkey presentations for the holiday.

My wife recently bought one of your Smoked Turkey / Ham Combo Packs as part of a fundraising effort for some group.
    We simply thawed the bird and heated it up for Thanksgiving dinner.

I just want to take a moment to say that if it wasn't the best turkey I have ever eaten, it was in the top two.

No . . . On second thought, it was The Best. Ever.
    Thank you.

(BTW: Now I'm really looking forward to tasting the ham at Christmas!)
    ===========

Cusak's smoked turkeys might seem a bit pricey (or "spendy" as my BIL likes to say) but it fed a bunch of people, with several "take-home-Care-packages" and some leftovers for us. One of the best parts of using one of these turkeys is that it gives you more time to focus on the side dishes.

(You know . . . featuring the fresh vegetables and whatnot from Whole Foods, Sunshine Market, Homeland . . . )

Default Re: A Thanksgiving Surprise (Cusak Meats)

Cusack Meats has been an Oklahoma tradition for almost 80 years. Family owned and operated, with all the money staying in Oklahoma, it truly is a company Oklahoma can proudly hang its hat on. The turkeys and hams are as good as it gets and as stated once you try them they are worth the investment and then some. I would put a Cusack steak up against any steak in the state and I guarantee Cusack would come out on top.

I have bought from Cusack's since the 90's and have never been disappointed. Not just steaks (although we could stop right there), but andouille sausage, ham, and other items. They furnish a lot of the prime steaks to some of the finer restaurants here in town. You can order online or call in advance for whatever you want, or like me, I usually walked in at about S. W. 12th and Harvey and only once were they unable to fill my order and it was late Friday afternoon for six prime filet mignons and they had sold out and were through cutting for the day. I also like spend my money at local companies when they are available.
    C. T.

Had the Cusak Spiral Cut Honey Ham for Christmas dinner.
    It was very good. Just as good as the turkey . . . but ham.
    The only improvement would be in the heating instructions:
    It took WAY longer to reach target temp than was indicated.
    (And it started at in internal temp of 45 so it was thawed and there was nothing wrong with the oven.)

On the bright side, it gave guests a chance to scarf down some extra good appetizers . . .

They have great things year round. They have specials they are running on their website to celebrate the start of their 79th year in business in Oklahoma

Thread Information