Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New Central Park for Moore

Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

That is really cool. I'm jealous actually! This will be awesome for Moore!

2. Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

I think I actually DO see on-street parking...

If these images above are in fact the actual plans vs. the PDF from earlier, then I retract my criticism.

If people can't drive there and park they will turn around and go somewhere else.

WOW. I too wrote a scathing post about how disappointed I am that Moore is blowing some golden opportunities. Then I saw the new plans on this page. Job well done, Moore. I am going to email this to my family who lives in Moore just so that they know and can maybe send some supportive appreciation to the city. Those guys have a tough job going out on a limb, but I'm glad they did.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how quickly Veterans Memorial Park at 4th and Bryant has been cleaned up, though the loss of those great trees is a travesty. That was a very well-done park. I remember getting a curfew violation there as a kid because I so enjoyed hanging out there, LOL.

I wonder if some of the lots in the tornado-ravaged neighborhood across the street could be reincorporated into a nice park-front development.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    It is quite nice. As I've said in the past, it is a lost opportunity to not use on-street parking. Not only could it potentially provide maintenance revenue for the park but it would give you more space and make the sidewalks around the park more enjoyable to use.

But congrats Moore. It will be nice to use this.
    I realize these are just pics but it appears that there may be plans for on-street parking. If you zoom in to the southern-facing rendering anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    WOW. I too wrote a scathing post about how disappointed I am that Moore is blowing some golden opportunities. Then I saw the new plans on this page. Job well done, Moore. I am going to email this to my family who lives in Moore just so that they know and can maybe send some supportive appreciation to the city. Those guys have a tough job going out on a limb, but I'm glad they did.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how quickly Veterans Memorial Park at 4th and Bryant has been cleaned up, though the loss of those great trees is a travesty. That was a very well-done park. I remember getting a curfew violation there as a kid because I so enjoyed hanging out there, LOL.

I wonder if some of the lots in the tornado-ravaged neighborhood across the street could be reincorporated into a nice park-front development.
    This might have helped out....
    And the winner is? Veterans Memorial Park in Moore! | KFOR.com

Update:

Oklahoma Strong Monument to be Built in Moore's New Central Park

Following the aftermath of May 2013 and witnessing how Oklahomans united to help one another, a group of inspired people set off to create a tribute to the spirit of human beings. Once the ball was rolling, it didn't take long for the idea to become reality and at Monday night's City Council meeting, those plans were approved.

The monument will be built on the North side of the new central park at SW 4th & Broadway. This positive celebration monument will be about 90' in diameter and constructed out of cor-ten steel. Surrounding the monument will be silhouettes of community members including first responders, families, project donors, volunteers, construction workers, the everyday citizen and even historical figures. A 100-foot flag is planned to be positioned in the center over a time capsule that is to be opened every 100 years. The monument will be connected to walkways and have seating, interpretive signage, music and landscaping.
    - read more here: News | Moore Monthly

Say's construction should start on the middle of this year. This will be such an awesome addition to Moore! Very excited...

The video and some key screenshots.

Link to the video: 3mar4 Oklahoma Strong Monument FINAL2 on Vimeo

update on the Oklahoma strong monument

An Oklahoma Strong Monument approved by City Council in early March is looking to raise money for the project with many events, one being a 5k run/walk on May 17. Here is what you need to know:

-Vendors and music! This will be a fun "party" atmosphere.
    -Registration before May 7 is as follows: $35 for 5k and $30 for the Fun Run. You can also join the "Dream Team" for $30- that's for people who dream of running but would rather be dreaming than running. After May 7, price increases by $5.
    -The run will take place on the west side of Moore. Exact route and time is still being finalized.
    -Runner will receive a shirt and completion medal. The first 1,000 runners will also receive a headsweats hat.
    -Sponsorship is available for businesses or corperations starting at $500 and up to $5,000.

- See more at: News | Moore Monthly

Name coming soon

News | Moore Monthly

They should borrow a page from the OKC playbook and call it Moore Park. See if they can name a creek Moore Creek, and a nearby road Moore Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    They should borrow a page from the OKC playbook and call it Moore Park. See if they can name a creek Moore Creek, and a nearby road Moore Boulevard.
    Exactly. LOL.

I still refuse to call the North Canadian River the Oklahoma River because mayor Mick and the OKC City Council thought it would be a good marketing idea.

General Contractors are to submit there bids tomorrow the 22nd so hopefully construction will start by the end of next month.

In regard to parking I did a rough count on the plans and there are about 400 spaces total all along the East side near the railroad tracks. Plans didn't appear to show any on street parking but that could just fall under the city's work which wouldn't be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Name coming soon

News | Moore Monthly
    Ummm, what is wrong with Moore Central Park? They will probably name it after someone as if that person funded the whole thing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Ummm, what is wrong with Moore Central Park? They will probably name it after someone as if that person funded the whole thing themselves.
    Yeah... I agree. I honestly thought Moore Central Park was going to be the name

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Exactly. LOL.

I still refuse to call the North Canadian River the Oklahoma River because mayor Mick and the OKC City Council thought it would be a good marketing idea.
    While they might have agreed, Ray Ackerman was the earliest staunch proponent of the name.

While pretty much everyone agrees that most folks will call the new park "Central park"...it has been named and here's the explanation:

News | Moore Monthly

The Berry Family Farm? I really hope either I am confusing that with something else or it is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The Berry Family Farm? I really hope either I am confusing that with something else or it is a joke.
    Ah, yes . . . The famous Berry Family: Blue, Rasp, Lingon, Goose, Huckle, Straw . . .

Maybe I'm too young to understand, but I have not the slightest notion of who those people are. If they're on TV, then I lied; regarding my notion of course.

I like that word.... notion

They have to be kidding me. Fail! They missed by a long shot. Nothing says "center of Moore" and assist in place-making than using the word 'farm' in the name.

Did you watch the video? It makes sense, really. I'm sure it was part of the agreement to sell the land and it really was the best piece of real estate available, centrally located and all. Besides, regardless of what the official name is most will still call it central park, just like most people I know refer to buck Thomas as "12th st park".

sent from WOPR

Blog Entries

I can only see images of Knotts's Berry Farm in my head when I see that name... and will be disappointed when I find no roller coasters...

After watching the video and a new one about the construction of the park here News | Moore Monthly, it looks like the first video was just identifying the area that was the farm of the Berry family. The name of the park will be the Dr. Curtis Berry Central Park, Recreation Center, and Aquatics Center. Of course in the end, I'm sure everyone will just call it Central Park.

Could give two craps what the name is...Just looking forward to it being there

Thread Information