Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Central Park for Moore

Default Re: New Central Park for Moore

No problem with the increase rxis as these enhancements will surely enhance my home's value come selling time

Like the idea of a new central park but don't like the cost. At least not right now. The city is flush with money right now due to increased sales tax revenue from economic development. Let's get our new park, but let's do it gradually...over time......without raising property taxes. Not a popular idea in our "gotta have it now" society.

And....don't ya just love it any time a city uses the term "temporary" sales tax. If approved, the "temporary" tax will expire in 5 years, but then there'll be another project that needs done. The city leaders will want us to approve an extension of the sales tax. They'll tell us that you're already used to paying it so you wont feel a thing. Always happens that way. Once they get their hooks in ya, they wont want to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Like the idea of a new central park but don't like the cost. At least not right now. The city is flush with money right now due to increased sales tax revenue from economic development. Let's get our new park, but let's do it gradually...over time......without raising property taxes. Not a popular idea in our "gotta have it now" society.

And....don't ya just love it any time a city uses the term "temporary" sales tax. If approved, the "temporary" tax will expire in 5 years, but then there'll be another project that needs done. The city leaders will want us to approve an extension of the sales tax. They'll tell us that you're already used to paying it so you wont feel a thing. Always happens that way. Once they get their hooks in ya, they wont want to let go.

This is why they also made a point to display all the other other citites that have a higher rate as well as a couple with a lower rate. I agree though, once we pass it it'll be here to stay.

I haven't thought much into it, but it seemed like the cities in the proposal didn't concur with Moore's demographic profile.

Well, looks like the park will be here soon.
    I was split in the decision due to the high cost it will incur on my families in Moore and now I can't help but feel "buyers remorse." My current neighbors and former neighbors (both in Moore) were for the most part against the park, but maybe this will be a positive addition to the Moore community that can benefit us all.

As with anything, construction is only a part of the expense. I'm not sure how much money Moore spends today for maintenance on this parcel of land but whatever it is, it will be a lot more in a few years.

Is this a joke? What are all the people in those cars going to do when they get there?

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Is this a joke? What are all the people in those cars going to do when they get there?
    No joke. They are going to walk around in a big circle with their car being both the origin and destination of the walking tour. Oh, and a water park that will be usable for 4 months a year.

It's amazing how negative people are sometimes. I know multiple people in Moore who are glad that this is happening. I think it is a very nice addition to Moore. As I am an advocate for cars, commenting on the walkability part of it would be bias for me, so I won't. Regarding the water park. If it is closed 4 months out of the year, that means it will be open 8 months out of the year.

I am glad the propostion one passed, we need a new community center and we need a city pool and rec area. I am glad that propostiton 2 passed, hopefully they actually spend some of that money on the girls softball fields which looks like something from a 3rd world country compared to the boys side.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Maybe they'd use the aquatic center or maybe shop at the farmers' market or maybe attend a function at one of the pavillions or maybe attend an event at the amphitheater or maybe walk or run on the marked trail or perhaps meet others to bike or run as a group or perhaps some of the various car club folks will meet there on occasion. And there are probably other uses that have been discussed but these are the ones I remember. Other than that though I guess there's not so much.

Have they done any use projections?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Have they done any use projections?
    A couple years ago they sent out surveys to about 1,000 plus citizens of moore and asked them what they would like to see with parks and rec in moore. The top of the survey that most people wanted was A new community center, pool, walking trails, dog park and a couple others, the city posted the survey results of it on their site a couple months after the survey went out.

Plus many citizen input meetings with very good attendance. Permanent farm market and all other uses were important.

...but no estimates yet on how many people they expect to use it?

I don't recall from the study but based on current use of similar facilities I'd guess it will be widely used.

Moore continues to be an under served market in many respects. Always surprises people.
    Last edited by flintysooner; 11-08-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I don't recall from the study but based on current use of similar facilities I'd guess it will be widely used.

Moore continues to be an under served market in many respects. Always surprises people.
    we go to earlywine park a lot and my children took multiple swimming lessons there this past summer. About one out of every 3 kids at that lesson came from moore and a lot of us parents or gaurdians from moore agreed that moore needs a community swimming pool and large community center that will offer multiple uses. Just go to earlywine and the YMCA at that location and ask how many are from moore! you would be suprised how many travel to earlywine that are from our city just to use what all earlywine offers (large walking trail, pools, small waterpark, Gym etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It's amazing how negative people are sometimes. I know multiple people in Moore who are glad that this is happening. I think it is a very nice addition to Moore. As I am an advocate for cars, commenting on the walkability part of it would be bias for me, so I won't. Regarding the water park. If it is closed 4 months out of the year, that means it will be open 8 months out of the year.
    I'm a little beside myself over all of the negative reactions of this passing too, ranging from those disagreeing with how the money is spent (I have a feeling they weren't in attendance at any of the plethora of meetings the City has been having over this) to those still upset that gas isn't $.50 a gallon any more. It's my opinion that the majority of those experiencing catastrophic fallout over this passing either don't live in Moore and are arguing 'just because' or they never attend any public functions within the city at the community center, downtown, and/or never visit the city/ball parks, nor do they have any intentions of doing so in the future. If they did and were aware of how busy the parks are, their conditions, lack of parking and amenities, etc. they'd probably feel a lot differently about this. To add onto that, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a significant percentage of people for both propositions don't currently make use of any of these facilities but perhaps intend to in the future. Or maybe they just believe that this is wise investment in Moore's future and feel the cost is worth the gain. At any rate I hope those doing the complaining had a vote (lives in Moore) and actually went and voted.

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    I'm a little beside myself over all of the negative reactions of this passing too, ranging from those disagreeing with how the money is spent (I have a feeling they weren't in attendance at any of the plethora of meetings the City has been having over this) to those still upset that gas isn't $.50 a gallon any more. It's my opinion that the majority of those experiencing catastrophic fallout over this passing either don't live in Moore and are arguing 'just because' or they never attend any public functions within the city at the community center, downtown, and/or never visit the city/ball parks, nor do they have any intentions of doing so in the future. If they did and were aware of how busy the parks are, their conditions, lack of parking and amenities, etc. they'd probably feel a lot differently about this. To add onto that, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a significant percentage of people for both propositions don't currently make use of any of these facilities but perhaps intend to in the future. Or maybe they just believe that this is wise investment in Moore's future and feel the cost is worth the gain. At any rate I hope those doing the complaining had a vote (lives in Moore) and actually went and voted.
    well said billie

I am glad that it passed, it is sorely needed, it is going to look great! Where will it be exactly in Moore?

It begins at SW 4th Street and Broadway (east side) and extends south nearly to SW 19th.

It really is pretty centrally located being at Broadway and only 4 blocks south of Main. Moore is really trying hard to help revitalize the central area of Moore.

Moore is only about 5 miles square so rather small.

It begins at SW 4th Street and Broadway (east side) and extends south nearly to SW 19th.

It really is pretty centrally located being at Broadway and only 4 blocks south of Main. Moore is really trying hard to help revitalize the central area of Moore.

Thank you!

Per the City of Moore website, Moore takes up about 22 sq miles

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Per the City of Moore website, Moore takes up about 22 sq miles
    He was probably thinking square miles as 5 miles wide 5 miles long.

As a citizen of Moore for more than 25 years, I've seen the improvements the City has made to infrastructure, emergency services, and beautification; all are worthy expenditures . Seems like I've watched this City "grow up" since I've been here. Having said that, I didn't support the two propositions for park improvements and the addition of the new central park. It amazes me that something like this would pass in this current economic environment. Can't the City do something like this over a longer period of time without raising taxes? Make it a 10-year project with several phases and pay as you go? Anyway..... it's a done deal now. But..... everyone reading this needs to know that the "temporary" ¼-cent sales tax will never end. Yes.... it will require anoter vote of the good citizens of Moore to extend it; at that time the City leaders will have another "worthy" project to fund. The City, with it's ability for mass mailings to all citizens, will convince the majority of you to vote for the extension. Those opposed wont have a chance. Well....ya can't fight City Hall.

So.... soon we'll have some Park improvements and a new Central Park. There'll be a big ceremony when it's finished and all the City leaders will get their names put on a big plaque mounted on one of the new buildings at Central Park, touting their vision for our community. While quietly, 90% of the citizens of Moore who never set foot in the Park get to pay for it.

It is sad that you feel so victimized and powerless.

Moore invites greater participation and actually listens and reacts to Citizen input greater than any other place I've ever been.

Officials are out and about in the City and are all tremendously approachable.

I know there has been a lot of growth and change in a short time. At the Dick's opening the other day the Mayor mentioned it had been only 6 years since a citizen could buy a 2x4 in Moore.

Thread Information